Air conditioning 1970 mustang fastback - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Air conditioning 1970 mustang fastback

Hey recently purchased a 1970 mustang fastback ,want to install a a/c system ,wat is the best system in the market?It has a 351C engine ,the car come with the heater controls on the dash but no vents ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM

The non-AC equipped '69/'70 Mustangs did not have the vents in the dash. You will probably need to get an aftermarket AC system from Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 PM

If originality is important, Classic Auto Air in Tampa refurbishes and sells factory in dash original systems. Depending upon current demand, one can purchase from their stock as well as having one's own system refurbished and returned. Reproduction parts have become available in recent years so finding some of the hard to find parts can be somewhat easier. Here's a link:

Mustang Catalog

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA has moved on to its next caretaker*
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I was looking at the vintage air kit ,just needed something to keep the car cool here in the desert ,so 69/70 non factory cars with the heater controls but not the vents ?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:08 PM

i installed Vintage Air in my 70 Mach 1. It was not a factory air car. I wanted a factory look so I replaced the lower dash with a used dash from an Ac equipped car with the holes cut out already. I also put in the center vent in a repo dash with the vent hole already cut. I did run into some problems that Vintage air did not address. The first was fan clearance. The radiator fan would hit the compressor, which was moved as far back in the cradle as it would go. A fan spacer fixed that. I also had to change the crank pulley to a three grove from a two. The only other mild problem was the original plastic glove box did not fit. I fixed that by buying the narrower one made for cars with AC. Vintage Air did not supply that. Attaching the hoses to the unit and the vents is a pain. The teeth don't hold very well so I duct taped the connections as best I could. Other than this it works great and installation was pretty simple.

1970 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber blue
4v
351 C 4 Speed
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 PM

I air conditioned my 69 Mach last year. My car was an original non-AC car and I did a lot of research and I felt the Classic Auto Air kit was the way to go. When you added everything up it seemed like the price was close enough that I choose the system based on what I liked best.

I ordered the kit that reused the original controls and deleted the original cables and then I added a new control panel face to keep the original look. You can see more about the control panel face here.

1969 Mustang Restoration: Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit Series Air Conditioning Installation

I had access to an AC lower dash but to me the Classic Auto Air kit vents were close enough to the factory look that it wasn't worth the dash swap. I also liked that the center AC vent provided doesn't look out of place when installed in a non AC dashpad, it does have issues with the AC dashpad as its smaller than the factory hole as shown in the link above. The ducting on the center vent also causes issues with a dash speaker as well. The ducting they include is all the same length and the ducting that goes to the lower dash vents is almost to short and must be stretched to the max. This caused me to run the ducting right behind the glove box so I made the switch to the smaller glove box compartment to give me the extra room.

I had a few issues with fitment in the engine bay. My installation kit showed that I should have only needed a 2 groove crank, but there was no way my kit would line up with the second pulley and required me to run a 3 groove crank with no belt in the middle groove. I do have an FE and my pulleys aren't an original set so maybe something is mismatched. I also don't have a lot of clearance between the compressor and my stock cj fan but I have enough room to make it work.

As for performance I must say that I'm really impressed with the performance of the system. My car didn't have any extra insulation except what comes preattached to the bottom of repo carpet kits, and the Classic Auto Air kit performed well enough on 90 degrees day to make me actually turn the system down. I thought the system was going to be like the vintage air kit in my street rod, just something to keep you cool and make it comfortable but must always be kept on max. It certainly isn't that way it really cools extremely well, and I don't regret it one bit. It was one of the best mods I've ever done to the car and I've driven it 10x more now that it has AC and I'm looking forward to this summer.

69 mach 1 428 CJ.

Last edited by cj428mach; 03-16-2017 at 11:25 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Very nice job on the center vent. When you do locate an OEM vent, and it's not easy, the sticker shock may make you say I love my modification and it looks just fine. Since you have owned both Vintage and Classic, do you really feel the Classic Air is colder? I'm pretty happy with the Vintage Air that I have but it's not as cold as my modern cars.

1970 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber blue
4v
351 C 4 Speed
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback,im just looking for a good A/C system ,does not have to be factory looking as the garages here do limited work ,I'm looking at the vintage air non factory kit that works for a 351C ,anyone here used this kit ?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

This kit to be exact with the climate control panel

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/vta-951170
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the heater controls,but the car has no vents ?Is this normal ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20170317-WA0018_1489767888148.jpg (71.0 KB, 39 views)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:52 PM
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephqatarcarguy View Post
Here's a pic of the heater controls,but the car has no vents ?Is this normal ?
Yes. Non A/C cars have no vents in the dash. Only the fresh vents down in the kick panels.

Here's what a 69/70 with factory air looks like. Notice the vents on either side of the lower dash panel and the center vent in the dash pad?

Here's a non A/C car. Should look the same as your's.

1970 Fastback (to be finished outside as a Boss 302 clone)
393 Windsor AFR 205 heads with 11.5:1 compression, Victor Jr. intake, solid roller cam with shaft mount roller rockers
Tremec TKO 5 Speed

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjallen3 View Post
Very nice job on the center vent. When you do locate an OEM vent, and it's not easy, the sticker shock may make you say I love my modification and it looks just fine. Since you have owned both Vintage and Classic, do you really feel the Classic Air is colder? I'm pretty happy with the Vintage Air that I have but it's not as cold as my modern cars.
Thats not my car its just an install guide I came across when I was trying to determine what AC setup was best for me. My car had a repo non ac dashpad that I cut to install the center vent in, the CAA kit comes with a template for cutting out the vent so mine looks stockish. Originally I was going to try to find a used stock AC vent but they go for $150+ in good condition, I know I've thrown several way over the years assuming I could get a mint repo for $20 if I ever needed one.....

I haven't compared a Vintage Air 69 Mustang AC kit to the CAA 69 Mustang kit, I was just comparing my CAA to the Vintage Air kits in some of our other cars. Me and my dad each have 1930's ford street rods each with Vintage Air kits and in the heat of summer the kits are kept on MAX all the time and it keeps the car comfortable but never gets to the point of needing to turn it down. Both of these cars are very small with lots of insulation so you think they would be amazing but they're really not that impressive. I was very impressed with the job the CAA kit did and to me its almost like a modern car in performance. Probably the only thing it lacks is the amount of vents. A modern car usually gets 2 per person in the front, the CAA kit gives you 1 single vent in the dash pad and one in the lower dash for each side. It would be better if the center vent was actually 2 separate vents like the original so each passenger could get a second blast of air until the entire cabin gets cooled down. Usually I drive a lone or if the wife rides along she gets cold easy so I get the center vent blowing my direction and she just gets the lower pass side vent.

69 mach 1 428 CJ.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM

I did just look on CAA's website and apparently they now offer a replacement 69-70 lower and center dash AC vent that would give you 2 separate vents. I think I'm going to look at upgrading to the factory style center vent if its reasonably priced.

http://www.classicautoair.com/techta...0-mustang.html

69 mach 1 428 CJ.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Hey does anyone know if a CAA kit for a non factory air 1970 fastback requires the dash to be cut for the centre vents ?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:55 AM

On a stock A/C car, the vents are in the lower dash, which is a bolt in, replaceable part, and the dash pad, which is also a bolt in, replaceable part. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to cut one of those two, but the good news is that replacements are readily available in the event of a disaster.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page