Value of this 1966 K-code Coupe - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

30Likes

post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm289 View Post
Another oddity... someone cut a notch in the lip of the passenger front fender to highlight the VIN... it is hidden from the factory...
I'd be willing to bet the normal left-front VIN is gone due to a repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
"$50K if done right"? It's not a vert, and not being proclaimed as a GT either. More like $35K tops if done right as a coupe. Then deduct your $10K to fix stuff. Vanguard motors is (as per usual) looking for suckers and willing to wait until one comes along.....
I agree they are asking too much, but you are lowballing. Take what I said (35-40) and add $25,000 if it was a fastback, and add $40,000 if it was a convertible.

And lemme tell you, I know a guy who has a 66 GT K-code convertible. Arcadian Blue, blue/white deluxe interior, AM/8 Track, console, power top, 4-speed, etc. It would not be possible for it to have more options, only alternatives. Drives real nice, too. I've worked on it, and tested it afterward. The convertible K codes are really rare. People who wanted to go fast bought hardtops and fastbacks, because convertibles were significantly heavier, and more flexible. This made the K code convertible a very rare bird.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

Last edited by 22GT; 03-18-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm289 View Post
HIPO 289's also had their VIN numbers stamped on the block above the starter... if door matches inner fender and title.. ask them to pull the starter and take a picture...
Not 100% of them were stamped.
There are other things I'd be scrutinizing long before the stamped VIN on a K block.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:23 PM

I've seen VINs stamped at the very front of the passenger's side of the block, just above the oil pan flange. Have seen trans stamped too. It might have been on the rectangular pad just forward of the trans mount. They might have to scrape some of that 5 gallon discount black paint off to see if it exists.

And...
The GT emblems are too high, Mustang letters are not straight, improper brake pedal pad for disc brakes, all suggesting not an original GT.

As to the build date, there's a VIN within 200 cars (earlier) of this one a C2 build date on this site:

64-66 Registry DB

post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
You mean BESIDES the reproduction data plate and the "09Z" scheduled build date which would mean this '66 was built on December 9, 1967?

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:12 PM

Garage
The market may not back me up on this, but supposing it is a real K code but not a real GT, I think that would be more interesting. A non-GT k code is pretty unusual for 66 isn't it?
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:08 AM

True, but hard to document.

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
True, but hard to document.
Fair point. I think I just like the idea of the most desirable engine letter for 65-66 hiding in an otherwise unassuming coupe.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Well, before such cars as the Firebird Trans Am, people often wanted to go fast without all the dress-up junk. That's why you could get a K code Mustang that was NOT a GT in 65-66. In fact, for the first year of production, you could get a K code, but the GT had not been invented. Similarly in 67, there were a lot of 390 Mustangs that were not GTs. The hardtop was the lightest body, so those in the know bought them, not fastbacks. The convertible weighed even more. A plain Mustang hardtop with a big engine was very fast, and unassuming, we called them "sleepers", because they lacked ornamentation, and the exhaust was very subtle, at least until you jumped on it. Even my "other" car, which totally lacks visual subtlety, has very quiet exhaust, until I jump on it. Then the straight through (and stone-stock) chambered mufflers notify every cop for half a mile that I'm in a hurry.

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:46 PM

Exactly - when my Dad ordered the '66 HiPo Hardtop sitting out in my garage, he wanted the lightest, fastest, plainest Mustang he could get.

It is very rare. I have been in the Mustang game since the mid-70's and have owned dozens and have only seen 2 of them. Rare does not always make the transfer to value. Had Dad ordered a GT - convertible - HiPo - 4-speed - it would be worth twice what my silly '66 automatic HiPo is worth.
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
There's so much wrong with that car, I don't even know where to begin.. $50K... Realistically, He's luck if he gets 20K... and that's stretching it...

)

Tony K.
Woodchuck likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
There's so much wrong with that car, I don't even know where to begin.. $50K... Realistically, He's luck if he gets 20K... and that's stretching it...

)

Tony K.
I would agree but I bet he gets more...realistically only worth maybe what you say...but I bet it sells for more.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post

)

Tony K.
Unfortunately, some uninformed buyer will get screwed and end up losing his shirt on this deal...

Wish the so-called "Classic" car dealers were like modern ranges... self-cleaning.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Unfortunately, some uninformed buyer will get screwed and end up losing his shirt on this deal...
Are you taking bets on how long we have to wait until this post appears here: Just Bought a '66 K-code Coupe and I Have A Few Questions...?
aslan, 4ocious, evantugby and 1 others like this.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Are you taking bets on how long we have to wait until this post appears here: Just Bought a '66 K-code Coupe and I Have A Few Questions...?
If that be the case, I'd hope the poster will have a "join date" that is newer than the purchase date of said vehicle and will have viewed the youtube.com video and read its comments (snicker).

I'd advise that any of us with a conscience comment there, too....
Turnall likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66kcar View Post
Exactly - when my Dad ordered the '66 HiPo Hardtop sitting out in my garage, he wanted the lightest, fastest, plainest Mustang he could get.

It is very rare. I have been in the Mustang game since the mid-70's and have owned dozens and have only seen 2 of them. Rare does not always make the transfer to value. Had Dad ordered a GT - convertible - HiPo - 4-speed - it would be worth twice what my silly '66 automatic HiPo is worth.
My 65 kcode fastback is a non-GT car with only a rally pack. Thankfully it has the vin on both the engine and transmission. It's build date was Dec 7, 1964, so even before GT cars were made, I think lol
evantugby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page