Strange Engine Noise - 1970 Mach 1 351c - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Strange Engine Noise - 1970 Mach 1 351c

Hello all. I've been trying to get my '70 Mach 1 back on the road after a 4 year resto where almost everything has been replaced. I finally got the car running and driving (somewhat) but after the new exhaust was installed and everything's quieted down, I can hear a ticking from the engine. The motor is a 351c 4v that was rebuild and run by a previous owner. I've seen it run on an engine stand without issues. The engine has sat for three years waiting on the car, though I did turn it over regularly and changed the oil before it sat and after. You can hear the noise pretty clearly in the video below:

I'm not sure if its a stuck lifter (they're hydraulic) or something hitting the transmission spacer, or something else entirely. The car runs fine and the noise increases with engine RPM. Any ideas? I pulled the valve cover off and didn't notice anything amiss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Any ideas?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Thatís a substantial noise. Hereís what I would do:
1-Check the oil for signs of metal flakes in it, which would indicate a more serious issue.
2- If not already done remove any belts to eliminate anything on the front of the engine as a cause. Test run engine to see if noise remains.
3-Pull the valve covers and inspect looking for rocker arm / Lifter related issue.
4-Inspect flywheel to see if anything is hitting there.

1973 Fastback, 460
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Is your car an automatic?
Because it sure sounds like the flexplate hitting on something.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:08 PM

I had an issue with my 351C when installing a t5, as the newer block plate would hit the oil pan on the 351C and push it back into the flywheel making a good awful noise. The solution was to find a block plate that was completely smooth as the factory ford one had raised stamps in it that caused the contact issue.

69 mach 1 428 CJ.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Some may think this is an ordinary broom handle, but it's really a redneck auto stethoscope. You stick the round, wooden end in your ear and the metal end on different parts of the engine and listen to the noise. Move the metal end around to different locations to isolate the noise. Fuel pump (fuel pump noise), header tube (exhaust valve), valve cover (rocker noise) intake runner (lifter noise, intake valve), front cover (timing chain) bellhousing (flexplate/flywheel/inspection cover), cylinder block (rods/mains), oil pan (rods/mains), etc.

66whitepony likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 AM

Any luck figuring out the cause of the engine noise?

1973 Fastback, 460
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Hello all, thanks for the tips. I've made some progress on tracking down the noise. I drove the car for the first time, and as soon as I depress the clutch pedal, the noise goes away. I am using a hydraulic clutch, and believe it may need to be adjusted. I'll play with it next week when I'm back from a business trip and update everyone. Fingers crossed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page