Should I put the original 351W back into my 69 coupe? - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes
  • 4 Post By 22GT

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Should I put the original 351W back into my 69 coupe?

I'm trying to decide about swapping the original 351W back into my 69 coupe which came from the factory with a 351W, 4Bbl, 4 speed and trac-loc rear. When I bought the car from the original owner in 2012 he gave me the following story:

“The engine seized around 1979 so the car was parked in garage where it remained until 2012. It still has the 1978 NJ registration sticker on the windshield. Car is all original, paint has one spot repair on the PS rear quarter. DS door got damaged while car was stored in garage, large dent, most of car is rust free except for a small bubble over DS wheel well.”

I bought the car as a project. The first thing I did was pull the original 351W engine and dropped in a 94 351W roller engine I had, got it running well. Rebuilt the brakes, replaced all the lines, put some new wheels and tires on, got the car on the road.

Now I’m trying to decide if it’s worth getting the original 69 351W rebuilt and so I can swap it back into the car to make it more original. What’s everyone’s opinion, is it worth the efforts to make the car more orignal? I can do the swap myself but will have the send the engine out for rebuild at a local shop.

1973 Fastback, 460
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop50 View Post
I'm trying to decide about swapping the original 351W back into my 69 coupe which came from the factory with a 351W, 4Bbl, 4 speed and trac-loc rear. When I bought the car from the original owner in 2012 he gave me the following story:

“The engine seized around 1979 so the car was parked in garage where it remained until 2012. It still has the 1978 NJ registration sticker on the windshield. Car is all original, paint has one spot repair on the PS rear quarter. DS door got damaged while car was stored in garage, large dent, most of car is rust free except for a small bubble over DS wheel well.”

I bought the car as a project. The first thing I did was pull the original 351W engine and dropped in a 94 351W roller engine I had, got it running well. Rebuilt the brakes, replaced all the lines, put some new wheels and tires on, got the car on the road.

Now I’m trying to decide if it’s worth getting the original 69 351W rebuilt and so I can swap it back into the car to make it more original. What’s everyone’s opinion, is it worth the efforts to make the car more orignal? I can do the swap myself but will have the send the engine out for rebuild at a local shop.
It is not really worth doing it from a $$$ perspective if your 94 roller 351w is a good strong working engine

Now the day that the 94 needs a re-build or you want to do a performance build or a 408 stroker etc....then build your new engine with the orginal vin matching block.

Plus if it is project car you probably have better places to spend money for the time being.

Last edited by SVTguy; 03-19-2017 at 11:19 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:16 AM
PetesPonies

For monetary reasons? I wouldn't worry about it. Just hold on to it. Matching engines make a big difference with hipo versions. Yours isn't a hipo version really, but certainly better than a 2V version. I would have fun with your roller engine. Dress it up to look stock, then keep the original around.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM

No. Unless its a rare optioned car(yours isn't) then the value of the car would be un-affected by going back to original engine. IMHO
6sally6
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM

I prefer originality. There are plenty of "parts collection" cars out there, but very few original drivetrain cars.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Garage
Going back to numbers match is cool. I have no numbers to back this up, but I'd bet the 69 block would take a more aggressive build than the 94. Going to 408 would be safe with that old engine.

1969 Mach1 w/ 671 Blower

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know what I end up doing. The existing 351W roller runs really nice so I'll really have to convince myself to do this swap back to original 351W but we'll see.

1973 Fastback, 460
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:56 PM

Enjoy it as is, but save your original block. 351 with a 4 speed is sweet combo for a coupe!

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM

I look at it from a different point of view for a driver, set aside the original engine, and use the replacement to beat on and have fun with. That way you won't feel bad if you damage it, or it just gets worn out.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
Enjoy it as is, but save your original block. 351 with a 4 speed is sweet combo for a coupe!
That's what I was going to say, an M-code 4-speed trac-lock coupe is a pretty neat/unique piece!! 'Tis indeed rare, of the "that's pretty cool!" variety, only a bit over 900 M-code 4-spd coupes ever produced in 1969.

I'd be tempted to put it all back right, and dedicate your roller 351 to a future project..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
PetesPonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
I would have fun with your roller engine. Dress it up to look stock, then keep the original around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
I look at it from a different point of view for a driver, set aside the original engine, and use the replacement to beat on and have fun with. That way you won't feel bad if you damage it, or it just gets worn out.
:^)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 PM

I wouldn't bother. I personally wouldn't pay $1 extra for a run of the mill Mach1 with an original block vs a '94 block.

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8:1 comp
TFS 205cc 11R heads || Victor Jr. intake || 950 Holley HP carb || 110* 236/240 .573/.594 hyd roller cam || 1 3/4" ceramic coated headers || 3" exhaust, x-pipe || 14" 6 piston front and 13" 4 piston rear Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hydraulic clutch || 9" Detroit Locker || 3.70 gears || MSD 6AL-2 || PST Aluminum DS || many more.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:10 PM

While I'm not a purist I do have a soft spot or original cars. If it were me, I'd hold on to the original motor. Who knows later on where prices will be if and when you decide to sell? Why hurt any potential value down the road? I still have what I believe to be the original motor to my 66. Just let the 351 sit. No need to rebuild it at this point.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page