Wind Noise - Vintage Mustang Forums

6Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Wind Noise

I have adjusted my side window so many times I'm doing it my sleep, yet I still get wind noise. Not as bad as it was but still there. The weather strip is in good shape and it appears the glass is making good contact to the rubber. Is it just that a 1970 mustang is really not that aerodynamic and we will get wind noise no matter what? Around mirrors, non functional hood scoops, etc.

1970 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber blue
4v
351 C 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Use some painters tape on the outside to try and isolate the point causing the wind noise and go from there.
69RR and 2+2=GT350 like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Flowmasters will solve that problem;o)
mrtleavitt and TheNorwegian like this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Flowmasters will solve that problem;o)
A good stereo will do the same.

How flexible is the rubber on your vent window seal?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

The Rubber every where is soft and pliable.

4v
351 C 4 Speed
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 PM

Welcome to the world of hardtops/Mustangs!!
6sally6
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 AM

I did the same thing. I finally gave up and just leave the window cracked.

Jim Smith
Atlanta, GA
1965 Coupe 5.0 GT40 Intake and Heads, 65MM TB, chipped, T5, Shelby drop, roller idler, subframe connectors, Magnaflows, Hurst shifter, MS clutch, BFGs on 15" TTDs, Roller perches, Bilsteins, 3.54 gears, LS, Needs everything else...
"If you didn't build it; it's not really yours."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:55 PM

I have found mine do better if I roll up the windows with the doors open and then close them. Don't know why.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/signaturepics/sigpic36164_8.gif

Current ride -1965 Mustang 'A' Code Fastback. Silver blue metallic. Med Blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #144941

Not forgotten 1996 Mustang GT

Last edited by dkutz; 03-21-2017 at 02:18 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

The thing is I have installed sound deadener in the cavity and inside shell of the doors and I am so impressed with the improved sound in the cabin that the wind noise is now particularly irritating. I'm determined to find it and fix it. I'm so impressed with what the sound deadening has done that I would like to do it everywhere I have vibration. You can get carried away, but I'm hooked. I'm kind of obsessed now. One area I'd like to do is under the front fenders behind the splash guard. Especially the RH side as the radio antenna is very annoying. I know its not in the cabin. It's outside. But vibration sound waves travel!

4v
351 C 4 Speed
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjallen3 View Post
The thing is I have installed sound deadener in the cavity and inside shell of the doors and I am so impressed with the improved sound in the cabin that the wind noise is now particularly irritating. I'm determined to find it and fix it. I'm so impressed with what the sound deadening has done that I would like to do it everywhere I have vibration. You can get carried away, but I'm hooked. I'm kind of obsessed now. One area I'd like to do is under the front fenders behind the splash guard. Especially the RH side as the radio antenna is very annoying. I know its not in the cabin. It's outside. But vibration sound waves travel!
What did you use to sound deaden the doors? I tried 1/4" styrofoam on the on the inside of the door shell and that didn't work.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 PM

I had a deep score in one cylinders of a 289 block I had. I honed the cylinders after boring it to .030 over, the score was still there and never had a problem with that engine burning oil or blow by.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 PM

My car whistles like crazy on the windows too, regardless of the fact that it's all new Ford tooling seals, original glass and frame, and an original door. I couldn't get it adjusted right and just gave up and live with it.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:31 AM

Mine used to make noise on the driver's side, found that the window just wouldn't roll up all the way to get a good seal and I had run out of adjustment in the regulator. So I cut a piece of the old weatherstrip off, glued it onto the new one so that it just barely goes over the window when it's rolled up, and now I have no noise. No one has noticed yet either so...

Of course, I can't remember the last time I drove with the window up anyways. I think there was a monsoon that I hit in Arizona back in August that required the window up be up...
Tedfirediver1 likes this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_H View Post
Mine used to make noise on the driver's side, found that the window just wouldn't roll up all the way to get a good seal and I had run out of adjustment in the regulator. So I cut a piece of the old weatherstrip off, glued it onto the new one so that it just barely goes over the window when it's rolled up, and now I have no noise. No one has noticed yet either so...

Of course, I can't remember the last time I drove with the window up anyways. I think there was a monsoon that I hit in Arizona back in August that required the window up be up...
I still have some adjustment left but the wind noise in my '67 is awful... I can't even drown it out going ~75 with the stereo blasting. You're giving me hope that I can jury rig it together.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:20 AM

Hmm, well consider some other things: if tape over the window doesn't fix the wind noise issue, then likely culprits are the fresh air vent (if it's open, it's gonna make noise... duh!) and gaps in the windshield / windshield gasket / windshield trim. If your windshield leaks water, it sure as hell leaks air too. And poorly-fitted windshield trim can whistle pretty loud. My top driver's trim used to whistle until it got pulled mostly off and now it fits so badly that it has too big of a gap to whistle anymore Not actually a solution, but... it does work for me.

"A lot of wind noise" is also probably subjective. Maybe I do get a lot of wind noise, but I just don't know because I'm partially deaf / my music is too loud / my exhaust is too loud / it's never bothered me so I just don't really "hear" it. Just a disclaimer.

I don't think you'll ever get down to quiet levels of noise, because driving our cars on the highway is effectively like trying to throw a brick in a wind tunnel. When the front end's a square, the windshield's at a high angle to the hood, and the rest of it is also a square... not aerodynamic!
Tedfirediver1 likes this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page