finally ditching the grant steering wheel hub: question - Vintage Mustang Forums

7Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

finally ditching the grant steering wheel hub: question

66 coupe...

Having to replace my turn signal assembly (again) due to the grant steering wheel hub wearing down the horn contacts, I started researching alternatives since I don't want an OEM style wheel. I discovered the GT Performance GT3 3 bolt hub and a guy at CJ Pony assured me that my horn contacts won't wear down and grind with this hub like it does with the grant hub.

On to the question... One of the things that bugged me about the grant hub was how I had to bend the turn signal cancel pins substantially. From what I see of the GT3 hub, I get the impression I'll have to do the same thing with it. True? False? I suspect that an OEM 66 turn signal cancel cam won't work. If I'm right about that I wonder if the plastic 67 cancel cam would fit on the GT3 hub? That would seem a little more elegant than bending the pins. Not that it makes a huge difference but if I'm going to have to modify the GT3 installation anyway and the 67 part solves the problem, I like that approach.

So to state the question more simply, can I use a 66 cancel cam, can I use a 67 cancel cam, will the GT3 hub actually work without bending the pins, or do I have no choice but to bend the pins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
If you like your Grant WHEEL that much why not drill it to match a 6-bolt adapter and use a Momo-style horn button?

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 PM

The 67 cancelling system was completely different, not gonna work. If the GT is made properly, the canceller should work. Your problem is you've been burned by the Grant, which has been manufactured since the 60's, with no improvement. And was always crap.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM

My forever sharp wheel needed bending on the cancel pins and I ended up breaking them! They would hit the turn signal lever and it was super annoying. So now, I have no cancel and have to manually do it. I'll get some roll pins to fix it but they'll still need bending.

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker
Finally completed- working on last bugs....

Last edited by 66/93project; 03-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Not a 66, but I used a Lecarra adapter for my wheel (1968) and everything works great. Maybe they have a hub for your set-up. I have a Moto-Lita wheel

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66/93project View Post
My forever sharp wheel needed bending on the cancel pins and I ended up breaking them! They would hit the turn signal lever and it was super annoying. So now, I have no cancel and have to manually do it. I'll get some roll pins to fix it but they'll still need bending.
Good to know. I'm eyeballing that steering wheel pretty hard.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 PM

The one piece canceling "hickey" that came on the stocker piece will slip right on the Grant unit(IF you still have the stock piece!) It works flawlessly.
As for "grinding down the horn contact".......that may be because you have the steering column pulled up too tight. (It's adjustable ,you know) Loosen it and slide it down some to ease the pressure on the contact.
6sally6
67 460Stang likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Good to know. I'm eyeballing that steering wheel pretty hard.
Which wheel are you looking at?

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Which wheel are you looking at?
This one exactly:

66/93project likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:38 PM

I swapped from the Grant adapter to a GT Performance adapter after I killed my Grant adapter (after a good 25,000 miles of driving). Just pulled the Grant off and stuck the GT Performance on. I didn't have to do any additional modifications to the turn signal switch or anything. Took about 5 minutes to swap.

I have a '66 and the stock original turn signal switch, amazingly.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
This one exactly:

I wanted that type of wheel at first.. I just had a concern about heat with the rear of the wheel being billet instead of leather covered etc. is that one a half wrap?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
I wanted that type of wheel at first.. I just had a concern about heat with the rear of the wheel being billet instead of leather covered etc. is that one a half wrap?
Yeah, half wrap. I'm considering painting the back side black so it soaks up fewer rays. Probably not the most practical solution in the TX sun, but there's never been much practical about this car. I like how it looks and prefer more wheel to grip.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:42 AM

Wood wheels don't get hot in Texas sun
66/93project and 67 460Stang like this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, half wrap. I'm considering painting the back side black so it soaks up fewer rays. Probably not the most practical solution in the TX sun, but there's never been much practical about this car. I like how it looks and prefer more wheel to grip.
I wanted the same wheel you do, but in black. Thinking the same thing.. less heat.
I just settled on a dark cherry color wood wheel, black stripe in it, black spoke. It sticks out big time but I like it a lot and it's comfortable. Just need to align the car so I don't have to use my Kung fu grip on it during braking or bumpy roads
Got this one, but from big dawg performance. They have the FORD horn button which is not available afaik on forever sharps site... the "pony" button looks a little wonky

By the way...op, SORRY we kind of hijacked this thread...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.jpg (14.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by 66/93project; 03-21-2017 at 12:54 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Then it's made wrong. Avoid it. There are plenty of steering wheels on the market that are well made. I have installed quite a few Moto-Lita wheels, for instance, and they bolt in like OEM.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page