'67 Mustang Convertible - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

'67 Mustang Convertible

Hello, No pics yet. Just doing some research. Gotta a ton of questions. Just joined. My name is Mike. Heres a tried and trued question... rebulid the 289 or crate motor? Not a 289 A code hypo, just a plain jane original 289 2 barre.l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Welcome. My engine builder of my orig 390 for my 67 vert told me, IF someone needs to have an engine sent out to be rebuilt vs crate engine buy, if looking for nothing fancy, cheaper to buy crate engine. Those do come with some sort of warranty as well. Assuming you don't have the time or knowledge to do rebuild yourself?

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <myhawk@gsinet.net>
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 PM

So....what is a direct bolt in no switching anything crate to replace a 289?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz1232 View Post
Hello, No pics yet. Just doing some research. Gotta a ton of questions. Just joined. My name is Mike. Here's a tried and true question... rebuild the 289 or crate motor? Not a 289 A code hypo, just a plain jane original 289 2 barre.l
Welcome!

Rebuilding is always best, if it is original.

You have a C code 289 2V. The 289 4V was the A code, the 289 High Performance was the K code. A very rare and special beast.

However, the 65-present 289/302 engines are essentially interchangeable. A brand-new crate motor could even be dressed as a stock 289, and it would be difficult to tell from the original.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 PM

Comes down to: Do you want to keep the car original? Then if it has the original motor, you ought to get it rebuilt. Planning on some modifications? Then buy a crate engine. Most likely it will be a few years newer 302

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
The factors that come into play here are:

1. Is the original 289 block and heads serviceable for a rebuild? There needs to be enough cylinder wall thickness remaining after a bore and hone to provide strength and adequately absorb heat. The heads need to be undamaged and able to accept new valve guides and seats and to be resurfaced.

2. Beyond the above, it comes down to whether you want to use the original components or substitutes. Notice that I don't say "new", because almost all "budget" crate motors use seasoned (used) blocks typically bored .030" oversize, those that are stock rebuilds use seasoned (used) heads, they use reground (used) crankshafts and connecting rods that have been made serviceable through machining. Not that this is at all a BAD thing...there is plenty of life left in such components and the cast components actually benefit from the stability provided by the many heat cycles they have been through. It also comes down to your budget as well as your personal preferences.

I'd hate to scrap a decent 289 block.... it's virtually identical to the latest '01-produced 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer block other than some minor revisions and, IMHO, benefits from a little more mass around the crankshaft main webbing. It can be machined to accept the later one-piece rear main seal and with "dog-bone" lifters or reduced base-circle camshafts can run roller lifters as well, if that's your thing.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page