Cutting hood? - Vintage Mustang Forums

9Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Cutting hood?

I have a stock hood, Shelby scoop, 12x2 air cleaner to clear the msd distributor. Thing is, it juuuust clears the stock hood and I have no heat spacer. I have fuel boiling issues and to start, I have to run the electric pump about 10 seconds, floor the pedal and she fires up super loud. I'd like to add a 1" phenolic spacer like I had on my fox. It helped a lot. But I'd need to cut a hole in the hood and it will sit just inside the Shelby scoop mounting bolts.
Has anyone done something like this? Would it be a good idea to put some backing plates or something around the opening? I'm concerned that it'll flex .. or is it strong enough to have a 13" oval hole in it?

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker
Finally completed- working on last bugs....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 PM
PetesPonies

The scoop will hold it just fine.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
The scoop will hold it just fine.
Good to hear! I'm sure you've got experience in this Pete, thanks! Now I just gotta get the "stones" to make the cut

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 PM
PetesPonies

I do it with an air whizzer and 3" cut off discs.
66/93project and 2nd 66 like this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:41 AM

Why not try a drop base air filter? You should still be able to stuff a phenolic spacer without cutting the hood.

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 AM

Cutting the hood sounds great until the first time you're caught out in the rain. Cleaning the road grime off your engine sucks. What carb are you running now?

Scott
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:12 AM

I had exactly this problem on a 68 one time, cut the hood so the air cleaner would protrude in the hole, covered the air cleaner with an aftermarket BOSS 429 scoop, and did not cut the opening in the front. No rain or leaves entered the scoop.
schweigert likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
Cutting the hood sounds great until the first time you're caught out in the rain. Cleaning the road grime off your engine sucks. What carb are you running now?
The car is a garage queen. Only nice weather driving. It has a Holley 670 vacuum secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
Why not try a drop base air filter? You should still be able to stuff a phenolic spacer without cutting the hood.
I tried a few but none cleared the horns well enough. And my distributor is the wide cap type like the fox body Mustang so it has to be a maximum 13" round filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
I had exactly this problem on a 68 one time, cut the hood so the air cleaner would protrude in the hole, covered the air cleaner with an aftermarket BOSS 429 scoop, and did not cut the opening in the front. No rain or leaves entered the scoop.
I want a Boss scoop but since the hood was already drilled for the Shelby, I just kept that one. I need to see if the Boss scoop will cover the Shelby mounting points...

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM

I'm having a difficult time understanding your hood to air cleaner clearance issue. My 65 with a 351W in it, and a K&N 3" X 14" dropped base air cleaner, and a 3/8" Edelbrock heat insulator, on top of a Performer RPM manifold, still has 1 1/2" hood clearance (measured, using clay). Have you actually measured your clearance? BTW; I was having the same fuel percolation problem and installing the Edelbrock 9266 heat insulator was the cure. You may not need a 1" spacer.

65 GT coupe. 351W. Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, manifold, cam. Toploader. 9" with 3.70 trac-loc. 4 wheel discs. Leather seats. The actual car I learned to drive in over 45 years ago (except for the mods!).
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeman View Post
I'm having a difficult time understanding your hood to air cleaner clearance issue. My 65 with a 351W in it, and a K&N 3" X 14" dropped base air cleaner, and a 3/8" Edelbrock heat insulator, on top of a Performer RPM manifold, still has 1 1/2" hood clearance (measured, using clay). Have you actually measured your clearance? BTW; I was having the same fuel percolation problem and installing the Edelbrock 9266 heat insulator was the cure. You may not need a 1" spacer.
Your 351 must sit considerably lower than the factory 289 or you have an "extremely" deep dropped base air cleaner. My 302 sits at the factory height. With a similar manifold, 1/2" phenolic spacer, 670 Street Avenger and a 2 1/2" x 14" air cleaner, I can only squeeze a 1/4" clearance to the stock '66 hood (measured with clay).

What air cleaner base and carburetor are you running?

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Holley 670 Street Avenger,
MSD Ignition, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust , T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

Last edited by rhutt; 03-21-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Garage
I have a fiberglass Shelby shelby scoop bonded onto a factory hood with a rectangle cut out of the hood. Works great and have good clearance. I used windlace to cover the edges of the opening.

Makes room for this giant air cleaner:
66/93project likes this.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 AM

Garage
Oh, also, if I get caught in the rain (which kind of never happens), I have pieces of a Nerf football I cut up to cram in the scoop opening. Works really well. No threat of the plug moving around at all.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 PM

I helped a friend cut his hood to make his scoop functional on his '69 390 Mach I. This caused the engine to overheat. We put a foam rubber ring between an oversized air filter base and the hood to fix the problem. The air coming in the scoop must have interfered with the air coming through the radiator.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Rallye View Post
I helped a friend cut his hood to make his scoop functional on his '69 390 Mach I. This caused the engine to overheat. We put a foam rubber ring between an oversized air filter base and the hood to fix the problem. The air coming in the scoop must have interfered with the air coming through the radiator.
That's crazy, but I bet you're right. I think with the 65-66 Shelby scoops, it's so low on the hood that I don't think it does much of anything. Looks cool though.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM

I have a hole cut in my hood to fit my air cleaner on my '69 Mach1. Zero issues with heat. If anything, it actually runs cooler now.
66/93project likes this.

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8:1 comp
TFS 205cc 11R heads || Victor Jr. intake || 950 Holley HP carb || 110* 236/240 .573/.594 hyd roller cam || 1 3/4" ceramic coated headers || 3" exhaust, x-pipe || 14" 6 piston front and 13" 4 piston rear Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hydraulic clutch || 9" Detroit Locker || 3.70 gears || MSD 6AL-2 || PST Aluminum DS || many more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page