Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Approximate cost to have 4 speed rebuilt?

11K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  happystang 
#1 ·
So I've been having a harder and harder time getting into 3rd gear from 2nd. At first I would only have a difficult time if I reved it up to high in 2nd and tried to shift.

Now today it didn't matter what my rpm was at it just didn't want to go into 3rd from 2nd. The weird thing is if I got it into 4th, I could downshift to 3rd without a problem.

Other things I tried was shifting 1st to 3rd but it didn't let me in. I also tried 2nd to 4th and most of the time it didn't let me.

1st to 2nd worked without an issue and 3rd to 4th worked without an issue.

Also, no problems downshifting from 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st.

What do u guys and girls think? 64.5 stock vert

#5 ·
Responders are assuming you have a Toploader.
If your car is original to your SoCal location it was probably built in San Jose. My San Jose built '65 (Sep '64) has a BW T-10. I believe I read somewhere that the only Mustangs that got the T-10 were the San Jose cars because the BW factory was nearby.
And if you have a 6 cylinder car it has an un-rebuildable Dagenham 4 speed.

#11 ·
Wait it's not "easy". It's mildly complicated and will take time, but it is definitely one you can do yourself if you read, follow directions and pay attention to the details. Take pics as you disassemble and it will help.

Reactions: 66DavesGT and ak72
#13 ·
Agree with Mark. I wouldn't say it's easy...again from a first timer myself. However, very achievable. Like Mark said, take pictures. The only issue with that is some $hit falls out during the disassembly that you can't get pictures of...namely some of those little rod detents. However, I googled where those go and was set. There are two different kinds. Three are rounded on the ends and two are squared and chamfered on the ends. The later two go above the reverse rod and below the first/second rod. The other small detail is the synchronizer hubs have a small face and a large face. The small face goes toward the front of the trans. It will not work any other way. This is spelled out in detail in Dan's instructions. I don't think the detents info is.

#15 ·
Rebuilding a 4 speed is an effort in patience for a novice (like me I've done probably 3 trannies), working slow and laying out each and every element on a bench in the order and orientation it came off the shaft. If you are methodical in how you lay out the parts during disassembly, it makes a world of difference in reassembly - there are lots of instructions on the Inet, find a set with good pictures for inspection of the parts.

You could easily be in for a boat-buck ($1000) for a rebuild from Dan if you are replacing gear sets which he likes to do to send home a forever tranny. This also gives you the option to swap in or out close-ratio gears. Many times a bad shift is rounded dogs on the slider and mating gear, much more than $175 rebuild kit. Generally a rebuild kit is when you are starting to get a grind on a fast shift forcing you to shift carefully - which is worn synchros.

I agree that Dan is the man but if you are in a hurry, keep the conversation on the trans cause if he starts talking about buying and selling old cars your in for a long albeit interesting haul...

#16 ·
Slim is right. The interlock pin is small and can be easily misplaced. It only goes in one spot too. Note the location and install it with grease so it won't fall out during installation. Dobro also has two very good points. First be methodical. What I did was cover my bench with cardboard. I then numbered every single disassembly step in the instructions with a D# and placed the same D# on the tranny exploded view in the instructions. I placed the corresponding removed parts on those D#'s on the cardboard exactly like they came off the assembly. I'll admit I did have to call Dan a couple times during the reassembly. The big one was the aforementioned synchro hubs regarding the small face and large face. It is clearly noted in Dan's instructions and I just missed it. Dobro's second point is also very important. Dan is a very interesting, educational, fun...and long winded man to speak with. Do not call him if you only have a few minutes to talk, because it will not work out for you. One of Dan's best suggestions to me was to read the instructions thoroughly...several times. I do wish someone could take the time to do a complete comprehensive rewrite with updated hi-res pics of his instructions. They are old and copied probably several thousand times by now.

#17 ·
I used the insructional CD that I got from Mark at Toploader Heaven to rebuild my transmission. Unfortunately Mark has fallen off the radar but I saved the CD on my hard drive. I rebuilt two Toploaders off of those instructions with no prior experience.

#19 ·
Well he can call at least two well known people to find out exactly...after he pays over $100 to ship it to one of them, and then again back. So the object of this game is to help someone realize their own potential to accomplish a seemingly daunting task at a fraction of the cost. Isn't that what we ware supposed to do as "friends" here on this forum.

#30 · (Edited)
There's probably at least two dozen transmission rebuilding shops within a 60 mile radius of him who could also do the work. It begs the question as to why you need the most 'wellest knownest' shop to rebuild your transmission when it's really a task that's apparently so simple it can be done at home. So I guess it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that to find the answer would involve shipping a transmission some place rather than going to any number of local shops (there has to be SOME reputable shops around) who could handily accomplish the same task.

Now, when it can be done so inexpensively (relatively speaking for my situation), I'd rather toss somebody $500-$1000 any day of the week to rebuild my transmission (which intimidate me anyways) so I can continue working on the million other projects I have on my car, house, or farm.

#23 ·
Lizer is right. He asked how much, not how to. Normal 4 speed rebuilds no matter brand is about $300 in labor plus parts. So, a trans with good usable gears and shafts will be about $175 plus your time or $475 to have it done. Add in gears that need replacing or unusable shafts and you're looking at $175 to $900 to do it yourself or $475 to $1200 to have it done......Won't know what it needs or price of until it's apart and inspected. Simple refresh kits are RARELY all that's needed.

#27 ·
I had never rebuilt a transmission until I rebuilt my T-10. I used the Ford Shop Manual and online sources for information. I bought the kit that Patrick linked.
All went well but I did have to take some of the sub-assemblies back apart and redo them as I learned how things inside the transmission work. When it was finally all back together I put it back in the car, filled it with 80w-90 gear oil and test drove it. The 2nd to 3rd shift was difficult to accomplish but it downshifted OK.
After much reading about the controversy of GL-4 vs. GL-5 gear oil I bought some Redline GL-4, drained the GL-5 out and refilled with the GL-4. That was the fix for the 2/3 upshift problem.
So far I have only driven up and down the county road in front of my house because the car isn't completed nor licensed but with the GL-4 everything feels good.
Now to tackle an automatic! I have a C4 from a '66 6 cylinder I may dig into for fun.

#29 ·
$500-$1500 depending on what all has to be replaced. However, if you attempt yourself I can guarantee Dan will work with you. Only speaking from recent experience. I think he appreciates the teaching experience. For instance he traded my big block tailshaft for the correct date coded small block tailshaft...completely rebuilt, for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.