Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Would you purchase one?

Accurate Reading Fuel Sending Units

11K views 86 replies 43 participants last post by  patrickstapler 
#1 ·
I know there are none as it has been beat to death here...at least every few months. I'm starting this thread to try and determine the level of interest in a large batch order from Dan at GN. I have spoke to Dan regarding this and he understands the issues and knows how to correct them. He stated he would contact his previous supplier to determine the possibility of supplying his previous design. However, it would depend on the level of interest we could develop here.

Notice this is a poll. Please do not vote that you would be interested if you do not intend on purchasing one. The only way we can determine true interest is via the poll results. Keep in mind, they will cost more than $19.95 so take that into consideration.

I am also going to email Rick @ NPD to determine if there is any level of interest from his perspective.

#2 ·
I would be happy to look back into this issue again. Although we do not sell retail parts anymore, my shop and I are all about provided our customers and true Mustang enthusiast with the best parts we can. If this means consumers have to pay more for a perfect part, then I am one to do this.

#3 ·
Interested as replacing the stock fuel tank on my '66 for a '70 tank is on my project list for next winter.

#14 ·
I'd buy one just as a spare.

Mustangs are not alone in this accuracy issue. I finally got one that works well on my '48 F-1 truck.
To say the prior crappy sender was non-linear is a massive understatement. (At 1/2 gauge it would
drop off to empty for a few miles...... bounce back to just less than 1/2 tank and slowly drop down,
like normal, eventually to 1/4. That reading would last for a few blocks and it would then show empty)

#18 ·
IMO $39.95 would be a steal! Count me for one if it's 3/8".

Slim

#19 ·
IMO they'll be closer to $50 each.

#20 ·
After some preliminary discussions with Dan, you are pretty close Slim. Thank all of you guys for voting. Keep them coming. As you would expect, market demand will drive Dan's desire to pursuit this or not. At the end of they, he will be the one doing all the work and baring all the risks.

#25 ·
I voted yes because my "most accurate sender on the market" stays above "F" until I use about 8 gallons of fuel, then it plummets like a rock in a swimming pool down to "E" as I drive. Very frustrating.

#27 ·
Count me in, I'd definitely buy one! I spent a lot of time researching this last year and was told by many to purchase the "perfectly calibrated" one from NPD as allegedly it was the only one at the time to be accurate for our cars. Guess what, not even close! Although, I dread having to go through this process again, not having a functional gas gauge truly sucks and the extra effort would be worth it.

#28 ·
I spent nearly $200 on a custom made unit for my Tanks fuel tank from Issapro. I think a moderately priced unit that works would fly off the shelf.

Also door panels made on anything other than cardboard

lower rocker panel clips modified to actually hold something

and a few other majorly annoying parts.

There is definitely a niche market for someone to design little things that would actually work for our cars.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.