Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Vapors

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  buckeyedemon 
#1 ·
So after a good drive we usually park the 70 inside the garage.
For the rest of the evening we can "smell" the car inside the house.
Is this normal?
Should we have this exhaust/fuel smell after a drive?
I replaced everything with new parts (yes everything) and there are no fuel leaks.
Could the car be running a little too rich or the carb choke not closing after its shut down causing the rest of the fuel in the carb to vent off?
302 2V manual choke.
Cherylene might have to start sleeping outside.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
No, it's not normal. After a drive take off the aircleaner and see if the fuel is boiling / dripping out the boosters ?

If not, I'd suspect you have a leak that is of yet undiscovered.

As far as rich running goes, have you checked the spark plugs ?

Z

#4 ·
My garage has smelled like Mustang after every drive I've taken in the last 20 years. Two different engines, three different carbs and various levels of tune, so it's normal for me anyways.

That said, even in my drafty 70's house, the smell doesn't get past the garage.

#6 ·
try shut her down in the driveway and push her in

#9 ·
Sometimes cars that have been or are currently running really rich smell like gas all the time. I've had a few of those before. Currently my car is tuned well but if I start the car in the garage or leave it running in there for any amount of time then you can smell the exhaust fumes.

david

#10 ·
Well I haven't really sniffed around the car.
It doesn't smell right now but it hasn't been driven for a few days.
I can smell a hint of fuel but it might just be residual from its last fillup.
If it was the gas cap I would suspect that it would continue to vent and stink up the house.
It's a $70, nice looking, cheaply made, gas cap though.

#11 ·
If you compare it to a modern FI car smell........yeah they all smell. The 70 didn't have near the emission "stuff" that a late model has. Gas tank is vented to the atmosphere for one thing. Carbs are just "controlled -gas-leaks". FI is totally different.
Now......with a good tune and proper jetting/metering rods/springs and such.....Hi performance ignition and MSD box...it will "smell" a lot less. What about the trunk lid gasket? Did you replace it?
Reason I ask......if it leaks and burned fuel gets inside car....and gets on your cloths and in your hairs...you gonna carry it inside with you.
Just part of the 60's era/pony car/Hi Po engine experience! Enjoy it!!
I am looking into trying some of that fuel perfume Summit sells. Bubble gum flavor/grape/cherry. Just for S&G's
6sally6

#14 ·
The 70 didn't have near the emission "stuff" that a late model has.

That would be a bowl vent to a charcoal canister. Even without one you shouldn't smell vapors coming from the fuel bowl unless the carb is percolating like Maxwell House.

Gas tank is vented to the atmosphere for one thing.

Vented to allow air IN, not out.
Time to check underneath for leaks. Even a minute one will cause a smell as the fuel evaporates.

#13 ·
The smell isn't normal. Even my garage doesn't smell when I pull my 67 in to park it. As already mentioned, check your plugs to see if they're really black. If your exhaust about makes your eyes water or burn when you're standing behind it you might be running too rich.

#15 ·
Wouldn't the gas cap have to vent air out as the fuel/air inside the tank expands on a hot day?

I've smelled gas out of the filler cap for as long as I've had the car. The cap has never really sealed. I figured it was just there to keep the rain and the bugs out.

Not to derail this thread (since it is gas fume related) but if the gas cap is supposed to seal, how would you adjust that? Bending the tabs? Adding another cardboard gasket? How tight should it be?

#16 ·
Mine smelled a little when I finished it. Like you, all new parts, fuel lines, etc. Wife complained but I told her it was just what cars with a carb. smelled like. A few months later when I went through the whole thing to check my work after break in, I found a very small leak at the line into the fuel pump. Not enough to drip on the ground, just damp. Fixed that and the smell went away. Do get a little smell when you start it with the choke on, but it goes away quickly.

#17 ·
I have had the Mustang smell in the house for years. I tried weatherstripping on the house, leaned the carbs, changed the seals on the tank but nothing worked. I thought I could tune the carb by ear, but learned how to tune with a vacuum gauge. All is better now and my clothes or couches smell like the the Stang after a cruise. Give it a try

#21 ·
I'm going to take her out for a little cruise later on so I can see if I can find any leaks.
I'm going to antagonize that chebbie guy that lives down the street.
All that #uc*er does is pull his Monte Carlo out of the garage and gets close to my house just to make a do-nut and parks it right back in his garage.
Sorry a**, the least he could do is stop so I could check his project out!
He has Skulls plastered all over his vehicles so I guess I'm supposed to be intimidated by this.

#23 ·
i can smell mine for a few hours after parking the car in the garage. i assumed it was a combination of the fuel tank venting (i have an in tank pump/bypass setup) and in addition i have a carburetor with two vent tubes connected to the fuel bowls (i pretty sure all carbs are vented to the atmosphere....). when the engine is hot don't be surprised to measure a carb temp well over 100 degrees F (i seem to recall seeing around 130F at the base). That heats up the fuel in the bowls and i would expect it accelerates the evaporation of the fuel from the bowls through the vents. I have glass sights in my carbs fuel bowls and it will disappear out of sight after a few hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.