Car and Driver review, 1965 GT 350 - Vintage Mustang Forums

15Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Car and Driver review, 1965 GT 350

"Not a ladyís car by any stretch of the imagination; probably not even a gentlemanís car for that matter; but surely a manís car, in the tradition of the Blower Bentley or the Cad-Allard, and in this day and age any car oneís wife would refuse to drive is a pearl beyond price."

1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Instrumented Test ? Review - Car and Driver
DrHawkeye and 66whitepony like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 AM

If one can get a copy of the 2 part Sports Car Graphic review, it makes for great reading. They took the '65 GT350 on a road trip that completely circled the USA. Thousands of miles, and no whining about the 3.89:1 gearing making the highway rpm too high.

Z

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:36 PM
fej

Z, they just didn't know any better back then But seriously, most cars were loud and spun high RPM's on the freeway, traffic was far less, people didn't commute 2 hours each way and actually took "road trips" to enjoy the drive and see the country.

But I think the difference now is, cars for most people are less about the driving experience and more about getting from point A to point B. I put a 5 speed in mine because highway use was fatiguing and not enjoyable with the 3.89. I still have 4 gears of "go" though. Not sure how fast trucks drove 50 years ago, but 65 here in CA gets you run over or passed by semi's. Plus gas is no longer $0.20 per gallon and because we have $h!t gas here in CA I have to pay $6 per gallon for some real octane to keep the 347 happy ...

But yes it is not the same. Just like having something in your pocket with 10,000 times the computing power of what put Apollo 11 on the moon is no longer the same.
DrHawkeye likes this.

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:47 PM

Everything you said, plus, and I want to put this as gently as possible, and not pointing any fingers......In my view , today people are pampered crybabies .

Z
gt350sr, 2+2=GT350, RV6 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by zray; 04-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
Everything you said, plus, and I want to put this as gently as possible, and not pointing any fingers......In my view , today people are pampered crybabies .

Z
HEY! I thought this was a Safe Space! Where's my Teddy bear??
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:00 PM
fej

There is certainly some of that Z, no doubt. The upcoming small amount of time I will have to enjoy my 66 I don't want to spend in ear plugs, as currently I don't have a stitch of interior in the car other than a seat. Maybe that changes after next winter. Classify me as high maintenance heh

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:16 PM

In '75 , I hopped in my '66 GT350 "carryover" and drove from California to Kansas for a Shelby convention. I thought nothing about hours on end a 4,000+rpm on the highway going there. Drove it and raced it all weekend , then drove back to CA with a 5,000 rpm limit. All with the 3.89 gears. Would I do it now? Hell no! In your 20's , your judgement is not burdened by common sense or "what ifs". LOL
Randy

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 43 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:01 PM

4,000 rpm, 5,000 rpm ... that's hardly even exercising for a 289 HiPo. It certainly isn't abusing the car. On numerous occasions I exercised my last '66 GT350 w/ vintage Paxton by taking it out to west Texas and running it flat out for as long as a tank of gas would last. Well over 100 miles. The car was hardly working hard at 6,000 rpm. That's what they were built for.

I don't think driving a cars to its engineering limits has anything to do with ones age. I enjoy doing it now in my mid 60's as much as I did in my 20's. It won't be long before my left leg is going to give out, and my clutch-ing days will be over. I don't want to look back and think I didn't get everything the cars had to give.

This thread has got me interested in digging out the old Sports Car Graphic tests of the '65 GT350 and see exactly what the test driver was thinking during his circumnavigation of the USA.

Here is the route taken by the Sports Car Graphic test of the '65 GT350

Z

Last edited by zray; 04-10-2017 at 07:11 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Garage
That's an awesome article. I really get a kick out of reading old articles, especially before they knew the legend that those cars would become. Erring on the side of lacking political correctness and complaining about how the fumes "could be harmful" really encapsulates an era of American history.

The final sentence made that review.

Quote:
Not a lady’s car by any stretch of the imagination; probably not even a gentleman’s car for that matter; but surely a man’s car, in the tradition of the Blower Bentley or the Cad-Allard, and in this day and age any car one’s wife would refuse to drive is a pearl beyond price.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 PM

I'm not sure I'd take my car on a cross country road trip but I do agree that most folks today are pampered crybabies. When I explained to a co-worker that I wasn't interested in putting in power brakes, steering or air conditioning, he couldn't believe it. Why would I want to do that? - he asked. You have black vinyl; you'll cook yourself and you need power brakes and steering to navigate around LA's traffic. I explained that I got this car when I was 14 with arms less than 12" around and barely any hair on my chest and survived driving through farm fields in PA before I got my license. In my 40's I'm still in pretty decent shape and much stronger than my pre-pubescent self. Air conditioning! Seriously I live in coastal southern CA, my co-worker should try driving a classic car with black vinyl and Pennsylvania 90* heat and 90% humidity . You don't as much ride on the seat as stick to it, burning yourself repeatedly every time you sit down or readjust your position! The whole point in my opinion to owning a classic car is getting the classic car experience, including smelling like gas and oil after an all day drive. That being said, I did put a T5Z in in place of my C4 but I have to get a little credit because I went from a slushbox to a manual, right
zray likes this.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian66 View Post
".......The whole point in my opinion to owning a classic car is getting the classic car experience, including smelling like gas and oil after an all day drive. That being said, I did put a T5Z in in place of my C4 but I have to get a little credit because I went from a slushbox to a manual, right
^^^^^

There's no better time machine than a vintage car that has all or most of its vintage parts and aromas.

Sometimes I wonder how two red blooded teenagers could fit in the Mustangs back seat, then I remember; Where there's a will there's a way.

Z
daves67ss and DrHawkeye like this.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 AM

Here's Car and Driver's test of the 67 390 GTA:

1967 Ford Mustang GT Automatic - Archived Instrumented Test

It almost seems like they are joking when they say the car has better balance and handling with 400 more lbs in the front end. They say the automatic is faster and blame the lousy brakes on the proportioning valve. Many muscle cars of this era left the factory with horrendous quality control issues. When magazines compared groups of cars there were usually some that were unable to complete the tests. The winners were the cars that didn't fall apart.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:43 AM

Car & Driver test are notoriously easy on the cars, especially if an advertisers product is being reviewed. Most real road tests back in the day were very critical of the big block Mustangs and the way all of them plowed with the front ends instead of actually turning a corner.. even the Shwlby GT500's were panned in the handling department, and rightly so.

Z

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 AM

the reason and only reason cars do not turn the higher rpms of the 60's and 70's is CAFE and Emissions laws. lower rpms = better gas mileage and lower emissions and thats it. i was a mechanic when all that stuff was being implemented. the Arab oil embargo of the early 70's with the gas shortages stated it along with the 55mph national speed limit. 85mph in a box was put on speedometers to trick people into thinking the were topping out their car if they exceeded 55. now younger people think if their engine exceeds 2000 rpm is will blow up. my 2006 F350 6.0 turns about 3200 rpm at 75 mph and in texas where its 85mph its close to the 4000 rpm redline, no big deal !

supershifter2ô < !
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post

Z
X2 I agree.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page