Steering wheel with less dish. - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Steering wheel with less dish.

I've got a buyer for my Deluxe interior steering wheel. I want to replace it with something with less dish. I'm a vertically challenged guy and the Deluxe wheel is uncomfortably close to my chest. Also, how little dish can you get away with before the turn signal lever becomes an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:08 AM

Look at the Lecarra line of steering wheels.

Charlie, CMSGT USAF Ret. 65 Hi-Po F/B, Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA) TX, Member MCA #27479. Now working a '69 M code mach 1.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:15 AM

My wheel is significantly flatter than your factory deluxe wheel. The issue is that most aftermarket wheels require an adapter that partially offsets the the gains made in the shallow wheel. You can still pick up some clearance if you choose carefully. My setup requires a very slight bend at the base of the turn indicator wand for knuckle clearance. It's a simple process!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang3.jpg (97.2 KB, 34 views)

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Holley 670 Street Avenger,
MSD Ignition, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust , T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
I've got a buyer for my Deluxe interior steering wheel. I want to replace it with something with less dish. I'm a vertically challenged guy and the Deluxe wheel is uncomfortably close to my chest. Also, how little dish can you get away with before the turn signal lever becomes an issue?
I'm assuming the 65/66/67 deluxe wheel is what you're talking about. So 4.5" dish.....
When open tracking, I wanted less to put my hands in a more advantageous position.
Seems like most everything is too much. I went with a Motolita wheel, which is 1.25 dish.
When you add in an original style 6 bolt hub (GT-350), you get around 3.75" of dish total.
(You will need to mark the turn signal stalk, remove it and chock it in your vise to put
a slight bend in it in the appropriate place)

As far as dish, .75" was about all the "savings" I got.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I realize that the adapter puts back much of what a flatter wheel gives. On my other car I considered shortening the tube, shaft and everything to move the entire assembly further away. I cut the input shaft when I installed the replacement box and put it back together with a "double-d" coupler from Speedwaymotors. At that time I could have shortened the tube and all, but I never did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4465249_L.jpg (26.0 KB, 8 views)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 PM

Never used one personally but maybe this will gain you a little:

Product Description

Scott Drake Short Turn Signal Lever for all 1965-1966 Mustangs.

Installing a new turn signal lever in your 1965-1966 Mustang has never been easier thanks to this high-quality Scott Drake Short Turn Signal Lever! This lever is easy to install and will look great with your smaller diameter steering wheel.

Features & Benefits:
- Chrome-Plated OEM-Style Direct Fit Replacement
- 5-1/2" in Length
- Ideal for Smaller Diameter Steering Wheels or If You Need Extra Leg Room
- Screws into Place: No Tools Needed for Installation

This Scott Drake S1MS-13305-A Short Turn Signal Lever is a chrome-plated OEM-style direct fit replacement that's 5-1/2" in length. It's a great turn signal lever to use with steering wheels that are smaller in diameter or if you need some extra leg room. But the best part is how easy it is to install! You simply screw it into place and you're done: that's it! No special tools needed!

CJ Pony Parts offers a wide variety of Scott Drake parts that have become so popular many customers ask for them by name. Once you try their parts on your Mustang, we're sure you will too.

Order a Scott Drake S1MS-13305-A Short Turn Signal Lever for your 1965-1966 Mustang from CJ Pony Parts today!

Scott Drake S1MS-13305-A Mustang Turn Signal Lever Short 1965-1966

And read this earlier post Shortened turn signal lever with use of Shelby Steering Wheel? Help!

Oh, and thanks for the wheel.

Last edited by megansmustang; 04-13-2017 at 07:06 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:58 PM

Garage
That's cool. Never knew anyone made a short version.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Moto-lita might be easier to manage in terms of finding what you want

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wheels/

yes you're buying from UK but the price is still competitive - and you know the adapter will fit (which i've read is a problem when sourcing lecarra)
the Lecarra I wanted they stopped making as well.

also... something about a genuine UK steering wheel seems neat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page