68 mustang standard blue interior paint?? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 AM

Based on the general replies here, is it possible the newer cans of this color 'may' be less blue than what they were years ago? I can say that on mine, the 5748 matches the lighter blue of my two-tone seats by TMI. Again, all this was done 17+ years ago and has survived well so far.

Fonebooth, that is an excellent link you provided.

Gbailey
Just to clarify and confirm, in your photo on the bottom half of your dash (i.e., the metal portions) you used four to five coats of AP-5748, is that correct? Yes, on anything metal and plastic, including the metal part of the dash, I used AP-5748. I think I recall also grabbing a regular rattle can of Clear from the parts store for a final coat of protection.

Did you repaint your metal dash, your doors and all of your interior panels -- both the lighter blue (e.g., quarter panels) and darker blue (e.g., quarter upper panels, rear panel in the FB), as appropriate? If so, roughly how many cans of paint did you use? Yes, all panels were painted this color. Maybe 3-4 cans total? It has been a while so I don't recall the exact #. I did not use anything darker as mine is a coupe. The dash pad, front pillars, are as bought in the dark blue configuration. Carpeting is the medium blue (ford blue) variety.

Other than the steering wheel, for what else did you use VP-5748? My understanding is that SEM's VP-5748 can be used for either hard or flexible surfaces -- did you use it for any hard surfaces? I used the VP on the steering wheel pads, and maybe some minor plastic trim pieces on the seats and kick panels if I was running low on the AP. I may have used it on the windlace as well since I recall that not being a good match as bought.

Hope this helps you.

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion
'90 LX 5.0L

Last edited by dbenichou289; 04-20-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Supporting Vendor

I'll chime in with a couple of hopefully-helpful comments...

First off, our paints (NPD) are not the same, not matches, to ANY other brands or sources of interior paint. Why? Because we have our paints exclusively mixed and exclusively packaged for us, using our own color-standards. It's still a challenge, because periodic EPA changes or paint manufacturer changes mean we sometimes have to re-match and re-formulate. But we get it as close as we reasonably can. Long story short, NPD lacquers and SEMs are our proprietary products/colors. We also see to it that our cans aren't short-filled (I've seen plenty of paint cans over the years where a 12-oz can only has 9 ounces of paint in it ).

Second, it's not an exact science viewing paint/interior colors on a computer screen, unless you've had your monitor professionally calibrated/color-corrected to Pantone standards, AND... unless the camera that shot the photo (and the light the photo was taken in) was conducive to 100% accurate color-representation. In other words, every time you see a color online, it's a facsimile, but it may be way off from real-life.

That's it!!

Rick
NPD
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:25 PM

Thanks to all for the terrific feedback. Even if we don't have definitive answers, just knowing how others think through these issues has absolutely helped me and I hope it helps others as well.

Rick, thanks for your input. It is always appreciated when a vendor takes the time to provide thoughtful, concrete feedback... and I always appreciate full aerosol cans! To clarify, I am not trying to match to another paint brand and your point about the proprietary nature of your colors is completely understood. My goals are relatively modest (I think). All I want to do is get a light blue color that is in the same ballpark (admittedly a qualitative measure) as the current color in my dash and doors (or at least the parts that aren't worn down from, dirt, sun exposure, etc.) It doesn't have to be an exact match to what is there, as I will be repainting everything. However, I have applied three coats to the ash tray from one can of AP-5748 that I bought from NPD and it is (to my untrained eyes) at least 95% silver and at most 5% blue. I want to be able to look at my dash -- or even better, have a stranger look at it -- and immediately recognize that it is light blue. Right now, anyone who looks at the painted ash tray would say that I repainted it silver, which is obviously not what I want. I recognize that perhaps NPD may want their light blue to have so much silver, which is obviously NPD's choice. It just means I will need to look elsewhere for light blue.

Update: Yesterday I drove out the NPD Ventura location (about an hour away) for the fourth time in two weeks (I just can't help myself!) to get some feedback on the light blue and pick up some medium blue and some other items. Re: the light blue, I brought in my ashtray repainted with the AP-5748 to show them how silvery it is but I walked away a little frustrated by that part of the conversation -- it was basically "we understand your frustration and basically agree that it is silver but there isn't much we can do..." However, I called NPD's 1-800 number and spoke with a very nice man (alas, I forgot his name) in NPD's Florida location, who offered to send me a new can of AP-5748 for free to see if a different batch will be less silvery, which was a great idea on his part. So I am waiting on that can to see if it is notably different. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I started using NPD's AP-5747 medium blue metallic for all of my darker trim pieces. I have a FB, so I have those large upper quarter panels with the vents in them, along with a number of smaller complementary pieces. So far, the results have been very, very good. Is it an exact match? Of course not, but it is certainly "close enough" and that is all I want. Now I just need light blue that is approximately close and I'll be flying high again in my restoration.

Dbenichou289, what a great idea to use the VP on the windlace -- that never would have occurred to me. Has the repainted windlace held up well in retaining its paint, given that it has to be stretched and bent pretty substantially to fit the doors?
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Here are some photos to demonstrate the difference. As always, bad lighting plays a role here, but hopefully you get the idea. The difference in color between the ash tray door versus the glove box door is more pronounced in person. The disparity in color to the windlace is probably a bit overstated, because the windlace is brand new and its color is more vibrant than it "should" be for my personal taste. The comparison to the steering wheel is probably the most accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170420_114428_resized.jpg (94.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170420_114553_resized.jpg (96.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170420_114654_resized.jpg (96.2 KB, 12 views)
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:35 PM

Well I see your dilemma on color comparisons. I would consider my entire interior closer to your ashtray color vs your wheel. For your glovebox color, it does remind me a little of mine 20 years ago but I attributed it to old faded paint of different quality to recent paints (going back 20 years). It is possible that the current color selected (mine and yours) is a bit lighter than factory original however, I recall once I repainted everything in the 5748 color, I really liked the way it turned out - nice and vibrant, and everything matched to the upholstery, headliner, center console, etc... How does your ashtray compare to the lighter side of your 2-tone seats? Are you replacing it with new TMI covers?

For the windlace, install it as-is for it to take shape, then remove it carefully to keep its shape mostly, paint in VP and re-install.

Rick, Thank you for the feedback. All of my paints have been purchased through NPD (going all the way back to your Gainesville location) because they have always been of great quality and have always turned out the way I like them. In the end, when I assemble the rest of the pieces in the car, the seats, the headliner, the carpet, etc, its good to see that everything matches...and that is what I am looking for.

'90 LX 5.0L
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Gbailey

my ashtray and dash looks like you took a picture of my wifes car lol...

it came out so light blue that i put the car aside for the winter - and now the suns going to come out here so i have to put her car back together--

VERY interested to see if the new batch is more blue- or if 5-6 coats makes it better-

maybe this color paint fades more blue after being 30 years old :-)

personally i like the "more blue" the original faded paint is over the new painted ashtray- if the new batch isnt closer to the old im going to have my painter mix some up,..

my new vinyl the lighter blue portion is far more blue than my ashtray.. and i have the same hideous color blue windlace you showed-- i have since reordered the windlace in the Med blue and its almost a perfect match to the dash pad and armrests- so im going with that--

VP- vinyl paint works ok- but on any wear surface it will wear off-- so since i have 2 kids getting in and out of the back seat that windlace i believe would show signs of wear if i paint it

Mike
64.5 vert rust free survivor :
Stacked EFI- Ford strokers 347
Hydroboost/InfinityBox /Coilovers
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

64.5 Vert (all original sheetmetal)
68 survivor vert- 5.0 AOD wifes driver
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363178 64.5 build
www.cartelclassics.com (all will eventually load here)
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:49 AM

dbenichou289, in response to your question, my seats are in pretty good shape (the car was basically garaged for 50 years) so the lighter blue is still MUCH more blue than whatever can be seen in the ash tray. I know the pictures don't show this very well, but to be honest when I look at the ash tray on its own, I see silver and nothing more. I keep looking at it throughout the day, hoping that perhaps different angles in different sunlight will show me some blue tinges, but I simply don't see it... Thanks for the great suggestion to put the windlace in place for a while before repainting it.

fonebooth, where did you find medium blue windlace? i have seen light blue and dark blue, but not medium blue.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey1018 View Post
Here are some photos to demonstrate the difference. As always, bad lighting plays a role here, but hopefully you get the idea. The difference in color between the ash tray door versus the glove box door is more pronounced in person. The disparity in color to the windlace is probably a bit overstated, because the windlace is brand new and its color is more vibrant than it "should" be for my personal taste. The comparison to the steering wheel is probably the most accurate.
The windlace you show is a commonly-offered item and it is pure crap. Since the correct 65-69 light blue windlace is available it should be sent back or thrown in the trash.

As for the paint color, it is possible that the paint you got is not the correct shade. However, the 65 (deluxe only) 66-69 light blue metallic is the same for all those years. And it is quite light, and quite metallic. Remember, metallic additive goes bad with time and exposure to sunlight. Don't assume your 50 year old paint looks correct. Oh, and the carpet they used in these cars was Ford Blue. It didn't match from Day One. Strangely, you can get carpet that matches the dark blue in the upholstery. I tried that in my car once and it never looked right.

Here's a 68 kit:

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

Last edited by 22GT; 04-21-2017 at 06:34 AM.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey1018 View Post
I did a spray-out here of the AP-5748, and I'm of the opinion that we need to recalibrate the mix/formula. I believe that it is indeed a bit too silvery, needs some more blue in it.

However, the blues that you posted photos of I also believe are not good/true benchmarks of what this color is supposed to be. Color can both fade, or become DARKER, with age and heat and sun and environment, depending upon what mix the panel or part is exposed to long-term. Also, it is not correct to assume that everything in your interior was an exact-match originally. The steering wheel was originally darker/different than the dash metal. Also, your windlace is just "generic" trim-shop windlace that's only available in standard/generic colors, you can't match to that. It's way darker/bluer than original would have been.

In any case, trying to match new paints to old components in your interior is almost always a tail-chase, and can indeed be frustrating. If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, it appears that just above your glove box there's a scratch in the paint, and it appears that underneath the existing coat of paint there's a flash of what might be the ORIGINAL paint on your dash, which is lighter and closer to what we're selling. But again, I think what we're selling has now morphed into something a bit too-silvery.

I don't have any quick answers for you. If you get your replacement can, and it's no better/different, then just shoot me a PM with your customer information, and I'll refund you for however many cans you purchased. In the meantime, I'm on the hunt for a good/genuine benchmark part/piece/swatch to compare to our standard that's at our paint supplier. It could easily be months before we've got any resolution.

Rick
NPD
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Rick

thanks for your input on this-- i know it wont help us this time -- (maybe if the ones from FL are bluer ..

but its nice to see that your looking into this

MIke

Mike
64.5 vert rust free survivor :
Stacked EFI- Ford strokers 347
Hydroboost/InfinityBox /Coilovers
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

64.5 Vert (all original sheetmetal)
68 survivor vert- 5.0 AOD wifes driver
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363178 64.5 build
www.cartelclassics.com (all will eventually load here)
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM

Rick,
Agreeing with Mike, thank you for following up on this as well. If it helps any, I still have about a half of can of AP-5748 that I bought from NPD many years ago with the Omni-Pak label. Would it help if I sprayed something or you being able to use some it for a match/comparison to current offerings? I don't think I would want to fully give it up as I use it for touch-ups... but could it be a good starting point? Let me know and maybe we can arrange something.

'90 LX 5.0L
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Thanks for all of the great feedback and comments. Rick, thanks for taking the time to look into this -- I really appreciate it, even if I won't be able to use it any time soon.

I should have been clearer in my prior posts -- I am NOT trying to match my new paint to the steering wheel or windlace, as I fully recognize that every element of the interior is going to be slightly different. I offered the photos to provide some visual color comparison to the ash tray and I couldn't think of a more clever way to do it. 22GT, the light blue windlace that you referred to as "pure crap" was bought at NPD, but if you have a better source, please let me know. Side note: I see you are located in Southeastern PA... what town or suburb? I lived in that region for a number of years.

Rick, it makes complete sense to me that the colors could have darkened or lightened over time. To be upfront, I am not a car guy -- I inherited this car from my uncle about a month ago. Because everyone keeps telling me how great this car is (I can't keep count of how many strangers have stopped to compliment the car when I have been working on it, and this is in Southern California where classic cars are a dime a dozen!), I am throwing myself into the deep end of the pool in terms of learning how to restore a car. As a result, I am not trying to match some preconceived notion of what I think the paint looked like in 1968. If anything, the two colors that I have liked the most are my current dash color (which has probably changed in color over time, but I do like it as is) and my passenger side door, since it was barely used over the past 50 years so the paint on it appears extremely fresh. But to your point, Rick, they probably have changed over time and I am okay with deviating from it. I just want a consistent color in my dash, doors and panels that has a discernible element of blue in it to complement the silver foundation.

Rick, thanks for the offer on the paint. I will update you and everyone else on this thread as I learn more. Again, I am loving NPD's medium blue... in fact, I am now torn as to whether to go with NPD's medium blue or the dark blue paint because I like them both so much! The dark blue has far less silver, but the medium blue just feels more like a legit "car color", if that makes any sense.

Any recommendation as to what kind of clear coat I should be spraying on top of the blue? As you can imagine, the blue paint scratches off the metal trim pieces very easily so I want to get something on there to protect against that.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:24 PM

And 22GT, I am also deciding as to whether to go with dark (Ford) blue or medium blue for my carpet. Sounds like I now know what your vote would be...
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenichou289 View Post
Rick,
Agreeing with Mike, thank you for following up on this as well. If it helps any, I still have about a half of can of AP-5748 that I bought from NPD many years ago with the Omni-Pak label. Would it help if I sprayed something or you being able to use some it for a match/comparison to current offerings? I don't think I would want to fully give it up as I use it for touch-ups... but could it be a good starting point? Let me know and maybe we can arrange something.
That would be super if you could mail me a spray-out card (or whatever you've got lying around, a subscription card out of magazine works ).

NPD
Attn: Rick
900 SW 38th Ave
Ocala, FL 34474

That way we can compare the old paint, against our existing benchmark/standard, and hopefully an original sample.

Thanks!!

Rick
NPD

P.S. Thanks to everyone on this forum, it's enthusiasts like yourselves that help us improve/fix/refine reproduction parts! Yes, yes, we actually do harass our suppliers on a regular basis!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanks for all the clarification GBailey, and kudos to you for taking that "dive" into the deep end! The windlace is what it is, generic trim-shop stuff that's been the "only game in town" for decades. Only relatively recently has the correct (and more expensive) stuff been done, and it's only available in black, so you have to spray it to match. We still offer the generic stuff for the budget-minded restorer, we try to fit everyone's needs.

So no worries, I'm not offended at all by the "crap" comment, it's just windlace...

I have no suggestion on clearcoat, I've never cleared my interior panels. It would have to be a satin clear.

Rick
NPD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page