68 mustang standard blue interior paint?? - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

68 mustang standard blue interior paint??

.. First ordered the light blue 65 ..66 paint thinking that was the right color and it's completely off too much silver so I called Drake and I ordered darker blue paint but it's way too dark blue metallic now I find out Drake doesn't make the proper color blue for a 68 interior.. I can't believe nobody makes this paint at least that I can find
does anyone?

If not ..does anybody know the color code to have it mixed for at a paint shop. So I'm not having to make a custom color that would be harder to match
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:34 PM

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...7619-2978.html

Have you tried this color (medium blue)? I can send you a picture of something I have painted with it if needed...

Allen
Roboto65 likes this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 PM

Leaving the office soon so thought I would just post the picture. Left side part is light blue metallic (AP-5748), right is medium blue metallic (AP-5747) both from NPD.

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blues.jpg (97.9 KB, 44 views)

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM

NPD 5748 series (AP & VP) is what I used for my 68 blue interior. I found these to be the closest color to original. I also had my steering wheel painted with BC/CC using DuPont code Y/MJ-1269 'blue ice metallic' which turned out to be an almost identical color. I don't think this picture does it justice, but will give you an idea of how close it is compared to the other pieces I painted in 5748.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec05003.jpg (84.4 KB, 22 views)

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion
'90 LX 5.0L
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 PM

First time poster. I have the exact same challenge. I have a 1968 FB with blue interior and I am looking for matching paint to redo the metal parts of the dash frame and the fiberglass interior panels. I just received a can of AP-5748 from NPD. I test sprayed it on a piece of paper and it looks much more silver than I expected.

Did you use NPD AP-5748 on just the metal parts of the dash, or on the fiberglass panels as well? If you did not use that on the panels, what did you use? Did you also see a lot of silver in your spray? It is hard to tell from the photos. Finally, did you see a notable difference between the AP and VP versions?
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

dbenichou -- the pic of yours looks good but its a bit dark overall in the image to really tell--

but if you used the "light blue" that should be the same as the 65-66 pony light blue which is way to silver IMO. but i cant tell in the picture- i have that color here from drake and its not a match to the dash

the medium blue in the prev post almost looks too dark-- there doesnt seem to be too much metallic in the dash of this car- and with 2 tone stock seats and a darker blue dash pad- i dont want a 4th color of blue its a bit too much -

Mike
64.5 vert rust free survivor :
Stacked EFI- Ford strokers 347
Hydroboost/InfinityBox /Coilovers
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

64.5 Vert (all original sheetmetal)
68 survivor vert- 5.0 AOD wifes driver
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363178 64.5 build
www.cartelclassics.com (all will eventually load here)
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

i sent 22GT a pm as i dont think the NPD colors are correct- i will post his reply here once i hear back

Mike
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey1018 View Post
First time poster. I have the exact same challenge. I have a 1968 FB with blue interior and I am looking for matching paint to redo the metal parts of the dash frame and the fiberglass interior panels. I just received a can of AP-5748 from NPD. I test sprayed it on a piece of paper and it looks much more silver than I expected.

Did you use NPD AP-5748 on just the metal parts of the dash, or on the fiberglass panels as well? If you did not use that on the panels, what did you use? Did you also see a lot of silver in your spray? It is hard to tell from the photos. Finally, did you see a notable difference between the AP and VP versions?
I used the AP version on anything solid (metal/plastic), and the VP version on anything flexible (steering wheel pad, etc). It is the 'light blue metallic for 65-69'. There is silver to the color but the more coats I sprayed the bluer it became when applied. No noticeable differences between AP vs VP.

Fonebooth, looking forward to what 22GT says because I started using this color back in 1990 when I redid the interior of the car for the first time. I presumed mine was original given the condition of the interior and the car in general. I recall stopping by a mustang specialty shop back then (owned by a current VMF member) when I was looking for interior paint and it was immediately recognized as this color. Not saying this is 100% accurate to the original as the color may have lightened / darkened from 1968 to 1989 on the car, or my memory has changed hues...

Either way, I recall it being very close to the hidden painted areas when I repainted my interior and have stuck with it since. Keep us posted on your findings about the color variations.

'90 LX 5.0L
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:16 PM

Thanks for your replies and the useful feedback. dbenichou289, a few questions for you...

How many coats of AP-5748 did you apply before it started turning "blue"? I just sprayed a third coat on my ash tray cover and it is still extremely silver.

Did you use AP-5748 to touch up your interior quarter trim panels? If so, does it match so well that you do not have to repaint the entire panel -- just the area that needs the touch-up?

The AP-5748 can I received from NPD was Spraymatch paint from Seymour. Is that what you used?

Are you satisfied with the Dupont code Y-MJ-1269 paint as a "match" for the 5748? What kind of paint did you get - lacquer, high gloss, etc.?

My apologies for so many questions. I can't proceed on any of my other work until I get this resolved, and I seem pretty far away from finding a solution.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM

Thanks for your replies and the useful feedback. dbenichou289, a few questions for you...

How many coats of AP-5748 did you apply before it started turning "blue"? I just sprayed a third coat on my ash tray cover and it is still extremely silver.
I have about 4-5. It doesn't fully turn blue, it does have a silver tone to it but when you look at the completely painted section, the first color that comes to mind is blue, not silver.

Did you use AP-5748 to touch up your interior quarter trim panels? If so, does it match so well that you do not have to repaint the entire panel -- just the area that needs the touch-up?
I fully repainted all pieces so everything matches

The AP-5748 can I received from NPD was Spraymatch paint from Seymour. Is that what you used?
The brand I have from NPD is Omni-pak (many years old) but I have used the Seymour brand for other colors and I was happy with them.

Are you satisfied with the Dupont code Y-MJ-1269 paint as a "match" for the 5748? What kind of paint did you get - lacquer, high gloss, etc.?
Yes. The dupont is ChromaBase 2-stage Base Coat/Clear Coat that is used for regular exterior automotive.

Here is another picture from today in hopefully better lighting. Very difficult to take good pictures of this color given how it fluctuates with lighting. Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7656.jpg (95.6 KB, 22 views)

'90 LX 5.0L
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

2+2GT told me its the same color "light blue" from 65-68--

i think i did 3 coats on the part i test painted and its way too silver- i guess i try a couple more coats and see if it :blues" up.. if it doesnt i will custom match some paint to match my lighter color blue vinyl-

as it is the dash pad and armrests are a really dark blue- the seats are 2 tone blue- the carpet is light blue- the windlace is dark blue- the light 65-66 blue windlace is totally off of the lighter blue interior color of a 68. so have to use the MED blue windlace -

IMO the light blue of a 66 [pony is quite silver-- and the light blue on a 68 "seems" to be a different color vinyl but i dont have a 66 pony here to compare right now-

back to work to grab some of the "silver blue" 66 paint and add a few coats to see if it gets closer to matching my seats..

Mike
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

dbenichou

your newer pic looks good-- maybe the NPD paint is a different color than the drake one- ?

Mike
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 PM

Wow, dbenichou289, your interior looks fantastic! That is exactly the type of interior I am aiming for! A few more questions...

Just to clarify and confirm, in your photo on the bottom half of your dash (i.e., the metal portions) you used four to five coats of AP-5748, is that correct?

Did you repaint your metal dash, your doors and all of your interior panels -- both the lighter blue (e.g., quarter panels) and darker blue (e.g., quarter upper panels, rear panel in the FB), as appropriate? If so, roughly how many cans of paint did you use?

Other than the steering wheel, for what else did you use VP-5748? My understanding is that SEM's VP-5748 can be used for either hard or flexible surfaces -- did you use it for any hard surfaces?

Your feedback is so helpful for this auto "novice" -- thank you!
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Then there's always PPG/Ditzler 13004 Light Blue Poly semi-gloss in a lacquer, either liquid in a can and sprayed with a gun or a PreVal sprayer or loaded in an aerosol can by a body/paint store.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

until you posted the 13004 color code i didnt find this other post 2 years ago

Matching interior paint

Mike
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page