Vintage Mustang Forums banner

65 Driveshaft Dilemma

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  LeeFred 
#1 ·
I am in need of a driveshaft, or driveshaft repair on my 65. I pick up a vibration at 75/80mph. Nothing horrible, but it's enough to cause double-vision in the interior rear view mirror. I swapped the front tires/rear tires, but the vibration is still there. So I took out the stock driveshaft, and took it to Tucson to have a driveshaft repair person take a look at it. He found the rear u-joint has some play in it. The u-joint caps that are mounted in the rear yoke spin while the u-joint is being moved back and forth. When I removed the driveshaft this morning, I did notice some play in the u-joint - not in the caps themselves where the needle bearings are, but where the caps set into the yoke. He says he can repair the driveshaft, but after all is said and done, it would be at least a $200 job.

I have sitting at home an aluminum driveshaft out of an Explorer with new u-joints and a new slip yoke to go into my Toploader. The only reason I haven't put it into my car is because with it's 3.5" diameter, it hits the H-pipe on my exhaust. No way to get around it. The driveshaft repair guy says if it were him, he would go with the aluminum driveshaft since it's already setup to go.

My options:

1. Get my old driveshaft repaired, and when I finally get a new exhaust put in (which I really don't need right now), have it setup so the aluminum driveshaft can be fitted in.
2. Have the H-pipe removed from my exhaust so the aluminum driveshaft can be installed.
3. Have the current H-pipe removed, and have one installed that is bent/curved downward to accommodate the larger diameter of the aluminum driveshaft.

The exhaust pipes on my car are easily over 25 years old. No holes or rust outs anywhere. I'm just concerned that when I get it into an exhaust shop. they're going to tell me the pipes are too old/dirty/rusty to work on and try to sell me a whole new exhaust system from the headers on back.

Suggestions, ideas, opinions?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I would be very tempted to make the Explorer shaft work. I know someone back had a vibration issue they couldn't get rid of and the Explorer shaft fixed that. It's a much stronger too. I've been thinking of going this way. If you don't mind repeating the exact Explorer application I would appreciate it. I need to do exhaust on my 66 soooo before I do I think I'll look for a aluminum driveshaft.

#3 ·
If you don't mind repeating the exact Explorer application I would appreciate it. I need to do exhaust on my 66 soooo before I do I think I'll look for a aluminum driveshaft.
There was a thread on this not too long ago on which one to go with. I want to say the trick is to find a 1996-2000 or so, 4 door Explorer with the V6. It's the right length driveshaft for the 65/66 Mustangs. Then upgrade it with new, proper sized u-joints and slip yoke.

#5 ·
I also have an Explorer driveshaft with new yoke and U-joints just sitting in the garage for the exact same reason. I'll be watching for suggestions!
I was looking at something like this but I'm worried about ground clearance... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-mb200135/overview/

#8 ·
Would beating on the top of the H-pipe give you the clearance you need to install the driveshaft you have?

I bet you could beat the pipe to about 1/2 of it's diameter and not impact performance. Not sure if you can drop the exhaust to get you the clearance you need to swing a hammer...but it's a quick fix option to consider.

#10 ·
Would this aluminum driveshaft conversion be the same for a six cylinder 200 with the small 7 1/4? rear differential? 1966 convertible and C4 autotrans. I also have a vibration at speed. Just replacing universal joints at this time as front was badly gouged. Everyone is talking about how smooth the aluminum driveshafts are.

#13 ·
Just throwing it out there and maybe someone has already mentioned it but have you checked your pinion bearing? I went through what sounds like the exact same thing and it ended up being the pinion bearing.

#17 ·
Here's an update on my dilemma. I took the car over to some local folks who do a lot of work on classic cars. Showed them what I had going on, and their advice was to have the H-pipe removed because the two exhausts pipes are really close together where they run down the tunnel, flanking the driveshaft. So I had them remove the H-pipe, and then I drove home and switched out my old driveshaft with the aluminum one out of an Explorer. A big difference! No more vibration at 75-80 mph! I can use the rear view mirror now without seeing everything in double.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.