Opinion of Comfort - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

11Likes

post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
The French guillotine diet is the only one I know of that addresses the height issue.

Z
lol....or be patient and wait a few decades...my poor old Dad, almost 80 now, has shrunk about 2 inches in the past 20 years.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM

IMO, the best Fox seats come from a '86 TurboCoupe. In addition to the usual adjustability, they have an adjustable leg support that makes long trips much more tolerable. Both the leather or the cloth are good looking, the only problem is that they are old, and probably pretty beat up by now.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 AM

I put E21 seats in mine, they are a Recarro from a 320i era car. I went to look at some E30 seats for $100 and once I saw the E21 seats I had to have them, took me almost an hour and $300 to talk the guy into selling them. They are styled much like the original seats in my 66 with the bolster up each side and across the top which I have a fantasy of recovering in original materials. During my search, I tried a set of Vadar seats from an M3 but they dominated the interior too much. The E21 seats are very modest and somewhat slender as they rise so they do not dominate the interior like the Fox seats IMHO. They are not what I would call plush though but I do find them comfortable on long rides...

I was also able to use my original sliders with custom fabricated mounts to get them low enough to add headroom. I have plenty of room for a helmet now. Watch out for thick bottoms on seats as they put your head in the headliner. THere are lots of seats posts if you get in the archives, you will find pics of most everything people use...

Good luck,

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e21 seats 2.jpg (90.9 KB, 30 views)
4ocious likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_H View Post
I'll put in another vote for the Fox seats. Readily available, incredibly comfortable, and already a direct fit into a vintage Mustang.

These seats are to this day the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in. My god, they're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
IMO, the best Fox seats come from a '86 TurboCoupe. In addition to the usual adjustability, they have an adjustable leg support that makes long trips much more tolerable. Both the leather or the cloth are good looking, the only problem is that they are old, and probably pretty beat up by now.
Thanks for the input. Fox seats seem to be a good option.
And they are a direct fit? Meaning just bolt them in?
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
I put E21 seats in mine, they are a Recarro from a 320i era car. I went to look at some E30 seats for $100 and once I saw the E21 seats I had to have them, took me almost an hour and $300 to talk the guy into selling them. They are styled much like the original seats in my 66 with the bolster up each side and across the top which I have a fantasy of recovering in original materials. During my search, I tried a set of Vadar seats from an M3 but they dominated the interior too much. The E21 seats are very modest and somewhat slender as they rise so they do not dominate the interior like the Fox seats IMHO. They are not what I would call plush though but I do find them comfortable on long rides...

I was also able to use my original sliders with custom fabricated mounts to get them low enough to add headroom. I have plenty of room for a helmet now. Watch out for thick bottoms on seats as they put your head in the headliner. THere are lots of seats posts if you get in the archives, you will find pics of most everything people use...

Good luck,

M
Thank you for your opinion and review of these seats. Many seem to love these seats.
I will have to keep an eye for a pair of cheap ones tho they seem hard to come by these days.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:45 AM

Caro means expensive in Spanish.
Sometimes the "Re" is added jokingly to these words to over exaggerate it.
So Recaro seats=Really expansive seats.

Last edited by Makedust; 04-20-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Typo
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
How would the 07 seats fit in a 65? Any mods needed?
'07 Mustang seats in my '66 (pics)

I plan on removing my stock seat tracks from the fox body seats, line up the back hole with the seat tracks and drill a new hole in the front. Using a 3/4" spacer to 1 1/2" inch spacer, bolt up the stock seat brackets. The spacer is because of the plastic trim around the 2007 seats.

I would love to stick with the fox body halo's but the cost of padding and upholstery is crazy.

'67 Coupe, (347 in progress) w/ EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Fox seats seem to be a good option.
And they are a direct fit? Meaning just bolt them in?
They bolt up using your original seat brackets.
You will need to drill a couple of new holes in the front to fit your stock seat brackets, but other than that, easy pesy.

EPAS w/ Bruno Box
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus203 View Post

They bolt up using your original seat brackets.
You will need to drill a couple of new holes in the front to fit your stock seat brackets, but other than that, easy pesy.
Just for clarification, I could use the original track but would need to drill holes in the track to mount the seat to the track? No drilling of the floor pan?
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I had two turbo coupes and an '89 SuperCoupe. All three had great seats, but I can certainly vouch for the comfort of the fox-based 'bird seats.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Holley 670 Street Avenger,
MSD Ignition, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust , T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhutt View Post

I had two turbo coupes and an '89 SuperCoupe. All three had great seats, but I can certainly vouch for the comfort of the fox-based 'bird seats.
What are the differences in these seats? Design and mounting? Do you have any pictures?
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
What are the differences in these seats? Design and mounting? Do you have any pictures?
Here's a google page with TurboCoupe seats. They were sort of like the Recaro but usually with slightly more room.
https://www.google.com/search?q=86+f...Ey_W7h33CRiRM:

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Just for clarification, I could use the original track but would need to drill holes in the track to mount the seat to the track? No drilling of the floor pan?
That is correct.
Fox Body Seats in a 65 Cert?

and it will be mostly the same for the 2007 seats

EPAS w/ Bruno Box

Last edited by bacchus203; 04-20-2017 at 09:56 PM.
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Here's a google page with TurboCoupe seats. They were sort of like the Recaro but usually with slightly more room.
https://www.google.com/search?q=86+f...Ey_W7h33CRiRM:
Are the seats the same for different years as long as it's a turbo coupe? I found a 84 and an 89 that might work.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM

I have 89 Fox body Mustang GT seats in mine and love them. The lower lumbar is great when i put some miles in. I recovered them with new foam, TMI upholstery and made them heated seats although I have yet to use that function because I am in south Florida.

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page