Opinion of Comfort - Vintage Mustang Forums

11Likes

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Opinion of Comfort

I am doing last min projects to make my summer cruising a little more comfortable. And I am looking at updating my seats. I am looking for a seat with more support and to get away from the sticky vinyl of the original seats.

What would you do?

1- get something from the scrap yard? (Direct replacement)

2 - get a foam and upholstery kit like the ones TMI makes. (Using stock frame and rails)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:12 PM

I've heard many use BMW seats because they can be modified easily to fit in vintage mustangs.
They also have all of the electronics and switches in the seats, just add power.
Saw a nice pair of black M3 ones for $400 on the CL.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:12 PM

What I did was sold my high back seats, bought some Scat Procar seats, rear seat covers and some Bilstein shocks.

1969 Mustang Convertible
302, C4, P/S, P/B, A/C, FiTech EFI
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makedust View Post
I've heard many use BMW seats because they can be modified easily to fit in vintage mustangs.
They also have all of the electronics and switches in the seats, just add power.
Saw a nice pair of black M3 ones for $400 on the CL.

Interesting. Do you have any more info on this? What it would take to make it fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbui View Post
What I did was sold my high back seats, bought some Scat Procar seats, rear seat covers and some Bilstein shocks.

Already have Bilsteins. Working on the seats...
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Garage
I did option 2. I got TMI Sport R foam and Sport R covers on stock frames, but I also added a TMI head rest. Works really well and I don't get a hot bun in the Summer, and keeps me planted in the twisties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passenger TMI Seat.jpg (96.1 KB, 102 views)
geicoman58 likes this.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 PM

Lots of people have put in seats from a Fox body. They are very comfortable and tmi makes some nice upholstery for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 Mustang Coupe, 289, 4v
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 PM

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 PM

Easiest is to look at your seat frame before and get an idea of how that will attach to any other seat base out there. Youll like trash any frame from desirable seats and attach your frame to ** seat base. Get it spaced right and it falls back into the stock holes.
I got my SN95 seats and heat stroke at a picknpull for about $100. Spent so long in the sun I came home with charcoal greys i thought were black, duplicolor fixed.
I want to try some sporty $199 ebay specials next.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 PM

Garage
The quick and easy is to get late model mustang seats, adapt your old seat tracks and install. Many choices from mid 80's thru about 2009 or so, then you start to get into seats with airbags, so that could be a consideration for you. You could go the re-cover route, as I have done this several times. But be prepared as the cost of upholstery, buns, and tools can add up quickly. Then on top of the cost, you have to be prepared to have your hands almost useless for a few days to a week after doing the upholstery. Its very hard on the hands of a first timer. So you have to decide for yourself, Do you have alot of time, money and little use for your hands for a few days, or do you want to do the quick and dirty, (and cheaper) of getting junk yard seats and be driving sooner? What works for you?

65 FB 289/3sp Rangoon Red/Red interior
67 FB 351C? Springtime Yellow?/? interior
68 Coupe 200/6 T-5 Diamond Blue/Blue interior
69 Coupe 250/6 C4, Blue/Black interior
70 Coupe 302/Auto Gold Metallic/Ginger interior
2010 Gold V6/Auto Sunset Gold/Black interior
65 Falcon Vintage Burgundy/Palomino interior
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 PM

Speaking only for myself, if I wanted to make my seats more comfortable, I'd lose weight.

Photo for illustration purposes only. Any resemblance to person(s) living or dead, is purely coincidental.

If

Z

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 PM

If you decide to pursue BMW seats you should start with E21 or E30 Sport seats. These are rare compared to their regular 3 series seats. They are slender enough to fit and are immediately recognizable by the thigh support pads that can be extended forward. Searching for them can be a pain, but they were most often found in the coupes and convertibles if that helps. Some were vinyl and some leather, but you would likely have to recover them anyway. Other BMW model seats (5 or 6 series) would almost certainly be too wide for good fitment. Most M3 seats are great but of a modern design which would look more out of place in a vintage mustang. I went with E30's but cut out the seat risers and installed some home-made brackets in order to retain all the seat functions, including the tilt function. There is a pic of these seats, recovered, in the VMF thread "Seat saga ends (finally!)". They are Recaro and they are terrific.
dobrostang likes this.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Archer, S5 E7: "Don't you have a tractor pull to go headline?"
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:00 PM

Oh maaaaaaaaannnnnnn... now I wanna find a pair of E30 seats! That's an amazing mod. Here in Dallas, there are a number of places to take seats to have them reupholstered (including Sue- who does all the Fast-n-Loud Gas Monkey cars... a couple of coworkers have worked with her and say she is actually easy to work with and quite reasonable).

The standard '65 seats don't do a particularly great job of keeping you in place, and- having been rear-ended once already, the lack of head/neck support is troubling.

http://just-a-six.tumblr.com
'65 Coupe, Silver Smoke Gray, Std Red Interior, ENGINE: 200ci inline six, Offy 3x1 intake, HEI ignition, Classic Inlines dual header; TRANSMISSION: T5 5 speed, 3.55 8" rear; MISC: Chockostang front disc conversion, dual master, MB "Old School" 15" wheels
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
If you decide to pursue BMW seats you should start with E21 or E30 Sport seats. These are rare compared to their regular 3 series seats. They are slender enough to fit and are immediately recognizable by the thigh support pads that can be extended forward. Searching for them can be a pain, but they were most often found in the coupes and convertibles if that helps. Some were vinyl and some leather, but you would likely have to recover them anyway. Other BMW model seats (5 or 6 series) would almost certainly be too wide for good fitment. Most M3 seats are great but of a modern design which would look more out of place in a vintage mustang. I went with E30's but cut out the seat risers and installed some home-made brackets in order to retain all the seat functions, including the tilt function. There is a pic of these seats, recovered, in the VMF thread "Seat saga ends (finally!)". They are Recaro and they are terrific.
Thanks! What makes these seat so popular?
And what is a reasonable price if I were to find some?

Last edited by McKay; 04-18-2017 at 11:47 PM.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Thanks! What makes these seat so popular?
And what is a reasonable price if I were to find some?
The best are called VADER seats! googly it. MUST be from a 2 door.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
I am doing last min projects to make my summer cruising a little more comfortable. And I am looking at updating my seats.
What would you do?
Forget the seats and get an air conditioner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page