STOCK+ build NOT STROKER - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
DVP

Exclamation STOCK+ build NOT STROKER

To give some back up on the subject. My dad went nuts and he wants to rebuild my stock 32.000mile engine that does NOT need rebuilt.

To the point now. I want to build a stock bore ( budget ish frendy) 69 351w. I would like to get maybe 350-370 hp from it. The current engine is a stock 2V. I will get a carb 600cfm+ intake combo from summit. The rest of the build is blank.

limiting factors: - cant change are the heads. BUT i can have them ported cause its cheap for me.
-stock crankshaft.
- pump gas

What do you all recomend?
-Pistons
-Cam
-Connecting rod
-Oil pump
etc

If there are similar builds to what I want post them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Pistons...........flat tops for simplicity
Keep your rods but have them re-conditioned(re-sized) and use ARP bolts
Replace oil pump with stock replacement Melling or equiv.
Camshaft..... I'd use a custom because they are almost the same price as OTS cams and you can get what you want.
Duration about 230/240 intake.....236/246 exhaust
Lift 500-ish
LSA.....110 or less(the less you go...the more snotty it will idle) 110 or less will give power from 2000rpm to 6000rpm roughly Right where you want to be for street use. (What?!! you planning on keeping it above 5 or6 grand for long periods of time?!!)
MAKE SURE you re-curve the distrib what ever you do!!
6sally6
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM

if its not smoking or burning oil, leave it alone. Either your dad knows something you don't, or you need to check his medication. You can get a complete rebuild kit for a 351 from a number of online businesses, stick to someone like Summitracing. For $400 you can get a complete kit, minus cam/lifter/intake/heads, that reuses your rods and crank. If you're determined to rebuild, pull you motor and take measurements of the crank and cylinders, than order a kit based on needed machine work to the block and new size bearings. Why rebuild a motor when it doesn't need it? spend that money someplace else like interior, brakes.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:25 PM

If you're not changing the heads, I wouldn't bother. Those are the most important parts.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Woodchuck likes this.

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8:1 comp
TFS 205cc 11R heads || Victor Jr. intake || 950 Holley HP carb || 110* 236/240 .573/.594 hyd roller cam || 1 3/4" ceramic coated headers || 3" exhaust, x-pipe || 14" 6 piston front and 13" 4 piston rear Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hydraulic clutch || 9" Detroit Locker || 3.70 gears || MSD 6AL-2 || PST Aluminum DS || many more.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Leave it alone. If you want more power put a 4 barrel on it and dual exhaust. Then change the gears to 3.50's or something close. Is this your driver or a hobby car?

69 Mach One, 428CJ, Legend 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
I'm with the EvilTwin. The big bottleneck is the cylinder head. Sure, a DIY port and port match will definitely help, in addition to an aftermarket aluminum intake and 4V carb (I'd go with a 650-670) and a camshaft that's strong on torque from 1,500 rpm and up. I wouldn't mess with the bottom end unless going with larger aftermarket heads.

Now, from a practicality standpoint.... do you want more/quicker acceleration? It's TORQUE that provides that. Horsepower is going to determine how FAST you go, not how quickly you get there. Many times you'll find that the switch from 2V to 4V might not gain you all that much and with the wrong cam may actually COST you some low end torque and throttle response.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
DVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by groho View Post
if its not smoking or burning oil, leave it alone. Either your dad knows something you don't, or you need to check his medication. You can get a complete rebuild kit for a 351 from a number of online businesses, stick to someone like Summitracing. For $400 you can get a complete kit, minus cam/lifter/intake/heads, that reuses your rods and crank. If you're determined to rebuild, pull you motor and take measurements of the crank and cylinders, than order a kit based on needed machine work to the block and new size bearings. Why rebuild a motor when it doesn't need it? spend that money someplace else like interior, brakes.
Ive seen this kit, but i noticed they recomened them for the 1980s engines. Do they fit the 69? The rebuild is because of the stubbornness of my father
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
DVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
If you're not changing the heads, I wouldn't bother. Those are the most important parts.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I'm with the EvilTwin. The big bottleneck is the cylinder head. Sure, a DIY port and port match will definitely help, in addition to an aftermarket aluminum intake and 4V carb (I'd go with a 650-670) and a camshaft that's strong on torque from 1,500 rpm and up. I wouldn't mess with the bottom end unless going with larger aftermarket heads.

Now, from a practicality standpoint.... do you want more/quicker acceleration? It's TORQUE that provides that. Horsepower is going to determine how FAST you go, not how quickly you get there. Many times you'll find that the switch from 2V to 4V might not gain you all that much and with the wrong cam may actually COST you some low end torque and throttle response.
Well im not looking for 400hp. Arent the 69 heads pretty good up 350hp with porting pretty much the same as the gt40p? I want some over all performance gain. Maybe a re-ring kit is enough plus the porting, carb and a cam? What do you think
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:20 PM

just remember to pick parts that are compatible with the rpm range you intend to run the engine in 80% of the time.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 PM

Nothing much makes as big of a difference as compression. 9.5cr is about as much that todays pump gas will support.
Mill the heads or pistons......your call.
6sally6
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 AM

the con rods are fine just put ARP wave lock bolts in. Put a 700 cfm double pumpe on it. An air gap intake.

supershifter2 < !
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sally6 View Post
Nothing much makes as big of a difference as compression. 9.5cr is about as much that todays pump gas will support.
Mill the heads or pistons......your call.
6sally6
I'm assuming you mean for iron heads. I run 10.8cr on 91 with no issues.

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8:1 comp
TFS 205cc 11R heads || Victor Jr. intake || 950 Holley HP carb || 110* 236/240 .573/.594 hyd roller cam || 1 3/4" ceramic coated headers || 3" exhaust, x-pipe || 14" 6 piston front and 13" 4 piston rear Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hydraulic clutch || 9" Detroit Locker || 3.70 gears || MSD 6AL-2 || PST Aluminum DS || many more.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 AM

Sigh.....lots of crazy talk in here.
v8stang289 likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM

IF you do get into it, in addition to the other recommendations, roller rockers and verify hardened valve seats. Roller rockers won't even require head removal.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
DVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
the con rods are fine just put ARP wave lock bolts in. Put a 700 cfm double pumpe on it. An air gap intake.
isnt this a bit overkill for a basically stock internal engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page