Radiator opinion - Vintage Mustang Forums

23Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Radiator opinion

Have any of you used one of these Murray radiators from Oreillys? It sure has the orginal look. I need to upgrade my 2 core. I don't like running borderline temps in trafic.

thanks, yarb

Murray Heat Transfer 434062 - Radiator | O'Reilly Auto Parts

1966 Mustang Convertible, 289 cid, 4 spd.
This care has been in the family since it was purchased new in 66. All numbers match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 PM

Garage
I haven't used that O'Riley's rad. It looks small from those pictures though.

It won't look stock but I suggest you buy an aluminum one and be done with it. It made an insane difference on my car.
yarb likes this.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Garage
Champion! Great radiator and will defintely keep your engine cooler.
Stan
yarb and jonmac2222 like this.

From start to finish:
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/asl...?sort=6&page=1
Bay Area Mustang Association
President BAMA 2012-2014
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM

For a stock to mild build they're fine, assuming you're using a stock pressure cap as well. They've been known to blow up with a high pressure cap.

The only complaint I had with the one I installed was that the paint appeared to have been still wet when put in the packaging. When I pulled it from the foam, all the paint was stuck to the protective foam and looked like crap. It fit okay and functioned fine in the '61 falcon that it went into. Didn't effect the function, just a little annoying
yarb likes this.

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 PM

X2 on the Champion radiator.

I ran one of the chain auto part store radiators in my 65, and the radiator cap would not seal on it. I tried at least 2-3 different radiator caps on it, and I would open the hood and find coolant sprayed all over the front and top of the engine. I ended up going with a Champion and have had pretty good results with it. My first Champion radiator sprung a slow leak at the bottom of the core a couple of years after I bought it, and they replaced it free of charge, including shipping.
yarb likes this.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 AM

I went thru several brands of radiators (including Champion) trying to keep my Mustang cool here in the Florida heat. The only one that did the job and still does was a Griffin radiator.

Gary
gt350sr and yarb like this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Garage
I tried several variations of radiators after rebuilding car and motor. This included a standard 3 core that ended up getting trashed on engine stand. A recored 3 to 4 core radiator. After adding AC it did not cool well. Bought a griffin 2 core and although it cooled a little better the "exact fit" was to tall and did not fit. Ended up trying a ACP Max-core radiator (2 core) and it fit well and is cooling extremely well. My vote is for the latter in an "s" code 67.
4ocious and yarb like this.

1967 S-code GT built Dec 13, 1966
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Just some guy

Garage
I've used a number of Murray branded cooling products from the parts stores. I would call them at the bottom rung on quality. They seem to be for the people who just absolutely have to have the cheapest option. You can't deny they serve a HUGE market there but I won't use their parts on my cars as long as I have better options. They're on my list with Mr.Gasket as brands I have no interest in using.
yarb likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:07 AM

Garage
I've slapped many of them into late model cars and not had any issues. As far as the older ones, I prefer the alum Griffin by far- great fit, appearance, and most of all they cool pretty darn good! Last summer I stuffed Griffs in a '40 sedan, a '65 fastback, and a '59 Fairlane- all still cooling just fine.
yarb likes this.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 AM

Griffins and Champions are great, and would be high on my list if stock appearance was not an issue or desire. The OP did reference the stock appearance in his original post and that's a pretty original (or at least stock appearance) car. If an OEM look is what your after, you won't have all of the quality choices that these aluminum radiators offer. I can't speak to the quality of the Murray
yarb likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Holley 670 Street Avenger,
MSD Ignition, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust , T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Garage
Here's mine:

4 Row. Ordered a 3 row but they sent a 4 row. Called them and they said just to keep it. Talk about customer service!
yarb likes this.

From start to finish:
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/asl...?sort=6&page=1
Bay Area Mustang Association
President BAMA 2012-2014
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier

Last edited by aslan; 04-21-2017 at 01:11 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM

I prefer Atozne lackeys to oreily lackeys. I'm using their basic 3 row Spectra Premium, very original looking except for the unused trans holes, was only ~$149 or so. Give yourself a good flushing unless your fluids are prestone clean green.
yarb likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Champion Radiators are good...No denying that.... but these new "MAXCORE" Radiators by ACP are the BOMB! They mix new Aluminum and Tig welded technology with Classic Original Looks!! Just Spray Black with Eastwood's Radiator Black for a complete stock look. Just as good as a Champion Radiator, but better stock looks California Mustang is their Direct Supplier. I'm picking up two of these babies for my '65 and '66 Convertibles.. I'm tired of these Spectra Premium Radiators Top Tanks bursting after 2-3 years of use.. I must have gone through 7 or 8 of them easy...No lie.

ACP Aluminum Maxcore Radiators | 1964-1973 | Cal-Mustang.com

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:03 PM

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Champion Radiators are good...No denying that.... but these new "MAXCORE" Radiators by ACP are the BOMB! They mix new Aluminum and Tig welded technology with Classic Original Looks!! Just Spray Black with Eastwood's Radiator Black for a complete stock look. Just as good as a Champion Radiator, but better stock looks California Mustang is their Direct Supplier. I'm picking up two of these babies for my '65 and '66 Convertibles.. I'm tired of these Spectra Premium Radiators Top Tanks bursting after 2-3 years of use.. I must have gone through 7 or 8 of them easy...No lie.

ACP Aluminum Maxcore Radiators | 1964-1973 | Cal-Mustang.com

)

Tony K.
Thanks for giving us this link. My 68 has the original copper fin brass tanks radiator it had when I bought it 39 years ago, had it rodded/rebuilt about 20 years
ago. Concerned someday will need to replace. This looks close to stock appearance.
Interesting for my 68 289 w/AC they have 3 row for $319.95, two row $339.95. Frankly I lean toward the 2 row with the larger tubes.

My Stang is just a driver but it is clean and near new/oem looking under hood. IMO the slab alum tanks would look strange in an otherwise stock engine bay.
yarb likes this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 AM

Here a shot of a Griffin radiator. And to clarify my earlier post, it does well in the summer unless I turn on the A/C. Then the temps climb from 180 to 210. However it will cool down if the A/C is set to a warmer temp so the compressor cycles.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (95.4 KB, 45 views)
yarb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page