Tightening steering - box or pitman? - Vintage Mustang Forums

9Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Tightening steering - box or pitman?

I had my steering box rebuilt and it seemed much better than it was before

Now there is about 2 inches of steering wheel play before the box starts to turn the wheels and I'd like it to be more responsive. Mechanic says the box could be adjusted and the ball joint in the pitman arm could be rebuilt by rare parts for like $275+.

This is for a 67 with a 1 inch pitman so replacing the arm isn't an option.

The box was marked by the rebuilder so any adjustment by me voids the warranty.

Am I likely to get a bigger change by having the box adjusted or the pitman?

The rest of of the components were confirmed to be tight.

Sorry for long winded question and thanks in advance.

Rodney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 AM

If the steering is loose, shouldn't the rebuilder honor the warranty and fix it?

Rusty
Caper50 likes this.

1965 Coupe, Caspian blue, A code 4 speed. Started project fall 1993, hopefully back on the road Spring 2017!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 AM

Before pulling the box and/or playing with the adjustments, make sure you don't have any loose components in the steering linkage itself. Don't know if you have power steering, but for manual steering, check the idler arm on the passenger side. My steering box had to be rebuilt, but the folks who did my front end alignment also found that my idler arm was worn and causing some issues too. Just check all the connections on the center link to make sure all the bushings are in place and the connections are tight.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 AM

RareParts can rebuild that pitman arm. If its got slack have it rebuilt. Rareparts will also put a grease fitting in it.

supershifter2 < !
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Is this a late '67 with the rag joint? Maybe that's just worn out.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Im having trouble figuring out how a pitman arm goes bad. Its just bent steel and two holes. Whats to rebuild? I would not let anyone touch the steering box till the rest of the system is assessed. Ball joints tierod ends if there is power steering ram style there a whole new can o worms. Start with looking at the rag jount for the easiest solution. Watch the system with someone else turning the wheel back and forth. Bad alignment, toe in particular will give the same symptoms.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Im having trouble figuring out how a pitman arm goes bad. Its just bent steel and two holes. Whats to rebuild? I would not let anyone touch the steering box till the rest of the system is assessed. Ball joints tierod ends if there is power steering ram style there a whole new can o worms. Start with looking at the rag jount for the easiest solution. Watch the system with someone else turning the wheel back and forth. Bad alignment, toe in particular will give the same symptoms.
65-66 mustangs use the same pitman arm for manual and power steering.
67-70 mustangs have 2 different pitman arms. one for power and one for manual. the power steering pitman arm has 2 holes like the 65-66. the manual steering pitman arm has one hole and a stud at the other end. the stud sits in a bushing so it can rotate. the bushing wears everytime the steering wheel is moved. Rareparts takes the pitman arm apart and puts a new bushing in the pitman arm. also the early 67 has a 1" hole and the late 67-70 has a 1.125" hole. the early 67 manual steering pitman arm is very rare. here is a foto of a 67-70 manual steering pitman arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manual steering pitman arm.JPG (10.9 KB, 28 views)
dobrostang and RV6 like this.

supershifter2 < !

Last edited by supershifter2; 04-21-2017 at 08:19 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
do you have power steering or manual steering ?

if you have power steering the ball and socket is probably worn out. the power steering pitman arm has 2 holes. the manual steering pitman arm has one hole and a stud at the other end. the stud sits in a bushing so it can rotate. the bushing wears everytime the steering wheel is moved. Rareparts takes the pitman arm apart and puts a new bushing in the pitman arm.
EPAS but that doesn't count, I used to have ram style power steering, didn't change the pitman going back to manual which is what EPAS really is with the power in the steering column... I get that the power steering valve system could need rebuilding and the fittings but the Pitman arm? Does the hole elongate?

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
EPAS but that doesn't count, I used to have ram style power steering, didn't change the pitman going back to manual which is what EPAS really is with the power in the steering column... I get that the power steering valve system could need rebuilding and the fittings but the Pitman arm? Does the hole elongate?
the pitman arm has a bushing wraped around the ball stud. the bushing wears out and you get side to side play between the ball stud and pitman arm frame. its just like what happens to a tie rod end. 67-70 uses 2 different types of pitman arms. 65-66 uses the same pitman arm for manual steering and power steering.
dobrostang likes this.

supershifter2 < !
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:37 AM

There have been quite a few bits of truth shared in this thread.
We have to assume the OP has manual, as that's what I gather.
Most likely the play is in the box, even though its been "rebuilt."
Not ragging on that deal, but what was done during the rebuild?
It's literally "garbage in, garbage out" unless you address things
the correct way in that process. There is a big difference between
Smucketelli's rebuild at one end of the spectrum and a blueprinted
steering box at the other. And there variations in between......
The idler is always suspect on these cars. I'd put a roller idler
on it and call it a day. I've got one on my '68.
The pitman does wear and as already mentioned, can be redone
by RareParts. That is not the only way, but it is the path of least
cost. There is an entity making a new 1" pitman. They are stupid
expensive though.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'm assuming that whoever rebuilt the steering box knew what they were doing. It was subbed out by the mustang repair shop in Seattle. I'm going to find out if I can have them adjust it while its in the car because pulling it again with the engine in seems like a total PITA.

If that doesn't work, I"ll send the pitman off for a rebuild.

Rodney
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney001 View Post
I had my steering box rebuilt and it seemed much better than it was before

Now there is about 2 inches of steering wheel play before the box starts to turn the wheels and I'd like it to be more responsive. Mechanic says the box could be adjusted and the ball joint in the pitman arm could be rebuilt by rare parts for like $275+.

This is for a 67 with a 1 inch pitman so replacing the arm isn't an option.

The box was marked by the rebuilder so any adjustment by me voids the warranty.

Am I likely to get a bigger change by having the box adjusted or the pitman?

The rest of of the components were confirmed to be tight.

Sorry for long winded question and thanks in advance.

Rodney
If there is more than zero lash in the gearbox when the wheel is centered, it was not rebuilt properly. Contact the builder.

If there is zero lash, and your mechanic wants to tighten it more, he basically wants you to die. Find another mechanic.

Why is driving a safe car not an option?

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Red-Head steering gears up here in the PNW did the work and they said they can adjust this afternoon if I swing by. Will let everyone know if it's improved.

Thanks!
rusty1161 likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 PM

Rodney---Please view 22GT's statement.

Then, If, they do set up the box IN THE CAR----Wow, I'd sure like to see these special tools, Or Magic, Must be David Copperfield tools>
green1965 and Woodchuck like this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

To finish the story, Red Head Steering in Auburn WA did a magic job on the box this afternoon.

They spent about 45 minutes with me checking the lash, test driving around the block (twice) and gave it a snug up all for free under warranty. They said when they rebuild a box they set it to the lightest recommended setting but it can require some adjustment when it is installed.

Given the thousands of boxes I saw being rebuilt in their shop, I feel confident I'm in good hands. Plus they found a loose tie rod end that they tightened for free.

They also said rebuilding the pitman would help snug things up the rest of the way.

Drive home was much improved.

Rodney

Caper50 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page