Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Steering box swap interchangeability

8K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  rose62 
#1 ·
Will a '70 box and pitman arm fit a '66? I know the column shaft would have to be different.

#6 ·
Yeah, a Google search gave me this:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...eering-column-swap-68-collapsible-column.html

A later 16:1 box is cheap and I work in a machine shop, so.....
After posting above, I clicked on this link to see where it went. Be advised, this guy is obviously a garage hack who's guidance is "questionable" at best and he definitely suffers from delusions of adequacy...

BTW this is a great time to do an EPAS install whist everything is out - I'm just say'n but keep the above statement in mind when considering this advice...

#7 · (Edited)
I prefer a 16:1 box (not to mention that my current box seem to need a rebuild), but a long-shaft, 16:1 box is, what, $550+? If a '70 will bolt up and all that I will have to do is adapt the column, that seems like a no-brainer.

Is there a reason not to do it? BTW, I have no concern about originality. That said, you'll never see me adding a spoiler or stripes, etc. I prefer functional, discreet mods.

#12 ·
I am just about to do this myself.
Just bought a 16.1 from a 66 that I put a rebuild kit through.
In the next couple of days I am removing my standard 19.1 and rebuilding that too.
Be good to see the difference between the two.

G
#11 ·
Yes, it's called the handling package. That is when you have the quicker 22:1 steering and with a manual steering setup. There is the GT spring/shock package as well with it. Basically its the PS box, but the preload tweeked a bit.

#21 ·
I found someone who knew i was putting a late model box in an early car: he had a 1 1/8" pitman arm from a 67 that was originally fit a steering system same as a 66. As someone said 67 was a change over yeat. He said it was a rare piece and charged me accordingly. Works great.

I don't know from cheap boxes - if the later 1 1/8" box spans from 67 - 70 your good, especially if its from a ps car. If 70 was different, I don't know.

I can make you a deal on an extremely low mi practically new flaming river box 16:1 with the right pitman arm if you are interested pm me. I am going a different path. I also have an extra collapsable steering colum... i would not weld the spear back in but I'm funny about sharp objects anchored solid to my bumper and pointed at my heart whilst pushing the envelope.

Cheerz

M

#23 ·
Im having Dan "Chokostang" build me that same type of box, Im redoing a customers 66 mustang, all the steering was mix and match, converted to manual, and found out the car hast hte 67 later type box with the 1 1/8" sector shaft, and diferent pitman arm...

#29 ·
Originally my car came out with a manual 19.1 and was getting a lot of slop.
Yesterday I installed a 16.1 box that I rebuilt in my 64 and wow what a difference, nearly 2 full turns of the wheel and I am at lock.
The car now feels alive and very responsive, almost ready for the track. Totally transformed the car.
Turning the wheel at a crawling speed is OK but not really noticeable, just so happy that the wheel feels tight and like it should.

Bit of a pain removing the old box as I had to remove the Z bar, rocker cover and remove the bolts and lower the exhaust manifold, but that really only took 20 mins.

Forget about using parts from a newer model unless you want to fit a rag joint (then I would go to a late 67).

As mentioned up above, it's a lot of work and money really for no great gain.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.