Getting hot in south florida, time for classic auto air under dash unit. Any input? - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Getting hot in south florida, time for classic auto air under dash unit. Any input?

I have been thinking about AC for about a year now, wanted to knock out a few things first. Plus during the winter it was so nice outside i thought, i dont need AC. Went to drive the mustang today and literally stepped outside and said "nope" and took my honda accord instead.

I feel as if i would drive my 65 even more if I had AC.

I like the underdash unit from classic auto air. I like the price point on it too.

Anyone have any input on it, tips and tricks as i start to plan my project.

Also would like to hear from anyone that did the upgrade and see how they liked it.

Thanks in advance.

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Garage
My 65 had that original dealer installed(I think) under the dash ugly hunk of a thing in the middle. It was horrible. It reminded me a bit of an old clunky room air conditioner. I don't know what kit you are looking at but if it has actual registers, thats definitely the way to go. My old Ford crown looking logo under the dash air thing is up on the top shelf in my shop never to be used again.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:49 PM

I put the "perfect fit" CAA in my '66 about 5 years ago and it is very good. Figure out if you need to have a double or triple pulley on water pump/crank/alt. for your needs. The people at CAA are great to ask about any of this stuff. I had to add a double water pump pulley and they shipped it with my unit. If you are installing it yourself...do your self and your back a big favor and remove the passenger side seat. You'll thank me later...I didn't have any problems on install. The only time I needed help was to put the large unit up there and my oldest son installed the nuts on the outside firewall. It really is a do it yourself project. I took it to a shop and had it charged and it will freeze the red headed swmbo out of there.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 PM

I got the perfect fit unit because I then had a real defrost function for when it rains and is hot/steamy, it can actually clear the windshield on the inside without having to use heat.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 09:33 PM

The stock under dash unit when properly setup works very well although not everyone likes the look or space it takes up. The modern behind the dash units also work well although most have cheap looking registers. They do have the advantage of giving you a proper defroster. I have dealt with CAA for a nu,bet of years and found there service and quality first rate. They did a concours restoration on my 68 and helped me restore a 66 underdash unit giving me plenty of advice and providing all the necessary parts. They also sell upgraded Condensors and Evaporators that are much more efficient than the original units.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:18 AM

I have the unit that incorporates the factory sliders. It seems to work well but I haven't really used it enough to tell. But the vents do look cheap.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:42 AM

I have the underdash unit you're talking about. It has been awesome! Very easy install.

CAA has you drill two holes near one another to pass the hoses through the firewall. If you drill them too close to one another, it's easy for the thin firewall metal to get twisted and pulled out. This is mostly because there's already a kind-of cutout in the area (cylindrical pill-shaped) where factory AC hoses ran. CAA has you use two holes and two grommets; however, you can also just punch out the factory cut-out and use the factory grommet if you get one. I wish I had done that from the get-go as I took the two-hole approach and the firewall tore while I was messing with the hoses. System is now charged so I don't want to drain the freon to pull the hoses out and really punch out the firewall correctly, so instead I had to put a lot of sealant around the hoses to seal up the gap in the firewall. Kind of annoying

As far as other tips go, take the time to make sure that your underdash register is properly centered (espeically if you have a center console) or it will be very noticeable later. Also be careful not to torque down the bolts holding the dash mount bracket to the adjusting sliders on the unit too much, because the slider can actually get pulled partway out of the unit somehow... still not sure how that happened but it happened on mine.

Otherwise, should be a very painless installation! I think I remember doing mine in a day or so. Ultimately, it's just drilling a few holes and then attaching parts to other parts - not a whole lot of critical thinking required

And FWIW, I've never had defrost issues with my car even without the integrated defrost feature that the other CAA systems have. But then again, I always have my window down (or at least the quarter vent open) regardless of the temperature or weather conditions, so that's probably why.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:09 AM

Garage
I have noticed you saying this before. I am the same. I like to hang my left elbow out the window and run with the breezes even it they are hot breezes being in Texas. I restoed the AC in my truck but I start having trouble breathing with it all sealed up because I have terrible asthma. I need the fresh air. A long time ago I noticed that if it was really hot and I was sweaty that it was not a good idea to have the window all the way down and rest my sweaty arm on it. Continued exposure on the driver side door would cause it to rust. Ever since then I have left the window up just a couple inches and rest my arm on that to protect the painted door panel.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:11 AM

Pm sent maybe we can pull our resources.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:57 AM

Keep one thing in mind when adding A/C to our early Mustangs. The cooling system generally has all it can do to keep the motors cool in hot humid Florida weather. Adding an A/C condenser in front of the radiator just channels a lot of heat right back into the radiator and may cause your engine temps to climb 20-30 degrees. I know mine does whenever I run my A/C.

Gary

Last edited by glmarker; 04-30-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:10 AM

I get a fair pint of cars in with aftermarket air. I've also owed/own two which had classic air

The few things that drive me nuts are:

Wires run every which way behind the dash. (Easily avoided)

The lack of space for the HVAC hoses. Especially in 67/68 cars

And THIS! The hoses fall off the registers

Otherwise so nice to be in hot rainy driving conditions and have the windows up, a clear windscreen and cool interior.

in UK:
65 Cpe Yellow 4spd,
67 Orange FB
68 Green FB
65 Blue FB. Hubcaps
66 Red FB Shelby Rep
67 Beige Vert
73 Vert
65 Blue FB sty stls
66 White cpe
65 Green FB
66 Silver Cpe

Shipping to UK :
65 Blue FB project
67 Red Vert
68 Drk blu cpe
68 Red cpe
65 Black cpe
69 Orange Camaro
69 Burgundy Camaro
67 Burnt Orange Camaro
71 Beetle
48 Willys Jeep
67 Black FB project
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:57 PM

"And THIS! The hoses fall off the registers".....Huh? Dude, that's what "duct Tape" is for!! In reality, I just zip tied mine and have never had a register come off.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glmarker View Post
Keep one thing in mind when adding A/C to our early Mustangs. The cooling system generally has all it can do to keep the motors cool in hot humid Florida weather. Adding an A/C condenser in front of the radiator just channels a lot of heat right back into the radiator and may cause your engine temps to climb 20-30 degrees. I know mine does whenever I run my A/C.

Gary
This was a factor to why i havent gotten it. Its been on my list since last summer. I do have a beefed up cooling system (3 row aluminum champion, shroud with 16 electric puller fan-1600CFM, 180 thermostat, 100 amp alt) however my car runs about 195ish in stop and go after about 45-55 minutes of driving. 20-30 would put me up over where i would want to be.

I am not sure how much more i can beef it up, dont want to replace the entire cooling system.

I do know that if i had AC. 1. I would drive it more, 2. My wife would go with me in it more. So there is that.

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 06:05 PM

A properly working cooling system will have no trouble at all handling AC. I ran my car in 116*F sunny Phoenix 5PM traffic for an hour and a half with the AC on and it got up to 203*F (normally runs 197*F).

This was with a mostly-functional hopped-up 289 bored 0.040" over, fan clutch, shroud, 192*F thermostat, and stock 3-row brass radiator.

End story is - if my stock cooling system can handle my not-stock motor at those temperatures for that length of time, so can yours

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecomboss View Post
This was a factor to why i havent gotten it. Its been on my list since last summer. I do have a beefed up cooling system (3 row aluminum champion, shroud with 16 electric puller fan-1600CFM, 180 thermostat, 100 amp alt) however my car runs about 195ish in stop and go after about 45-55 minutes of driving. 20-30 would put me up over where i would want to be.

I am not sure how much more i can beef it up, dont want to replace the entire cooling system.

I do know that if i had AC. 1. I would drive it more, 2. My wife would go with me in it more. So there is that.
Ok, I have a 5.0HO/AOD/EFI with a Jegs aluminum racing radiator....and...an electric fan from a Lincoln Mark7. A Mark 8 would be even better. Without the ac on and in very hot 100F days, my car does not run hot. It will be a little hotter, maybe 5-8 deg. more, with AC on. The mk7/mk8 fans are almighty. yes, they do pull a lot of amps. You will need at least a 100 amp alt. with a large relay to run the fan. I tried some of the fuse types where it has a fuse that will blow. melt those down it will. Someone had posted on corral must forum about the same problem with the same fan. A golf cart solenoid was the ticket. I got one and no more problems at all with the fan setup. You can get the solenoid that is mentioned in the link below from ebay much cheaper than napa....same relay too.

Pirate4x4.Com - Installing a Ford Taurus Electric Fan

How do you install a 2 speed ford taurus electric fan - Ford Mustang Forum

$15. relay https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...duty+12v+relay

I got frustrated with engine temps slowly climbing on a hot day and got mad about it and the above fixed my problem once and for all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page