MustangSteve Brake Install - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Brian66
  • 3 Post By PetesPonies

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

MustangSteve Brake Install

I purchased MustangSteve's GT2008 brake bracket kit in preparation for installing 2014 Mustang V6 rotors and calipers. I bought the calipers and their brackets from the local Pick-A-Part for $125. I wanted these brakes for several reasons. First, they are almost exactly the same size rotor as the old Lincoln rotors and calipers used for racing back in the day. The rotor measures 12.4" x 1.25". Second, the calipers and brackets are made from aluminum with large resin pistons which significantly reduce weight. Finally, I like the idea that I can walk into any auto parts store 30 years from now and get parts for them since they are factory Ford stuff. I bought StopTech's slotted and cryo'd rotors from RockAuto for $98 each. They list 2 types one for an automatic and one for a manual transmission car. Don't know what the difference would be so I picked the manual which was $3 less in price.

MustangSteve's kits are made out of 3/8th plate steel and come with grade 8 hardware. They appear to be simply cut with a bandsaw or water jet. The kit includes a shim to place between the caliper mounting bracket and the spindle bracket. Everything was unpainted. The parts are of nice quality and the fit is perfect. Everything lined up with precision. You can decide if they're worth $235 or not. I also ordered his extended wheel studs which are about 1/4 longer making the installation of alloy wheels a bit easier and more secure.

A centering ring included in the kit gets pounded down around the outside of the hub enabling the rotor to be centered. A couple quick hits with a hammer and brass drift did the trick. The hubs also needed to be turned on a lathe to remove about a 1/16 of an inch off the outer diameter in order to fit flush inside the rotor's hat. My friend turned them for me in about 10 minutes.

Since I had to pull the hubs, I figured I'd install new bearings, grease seals, grease caps, and paint them with a high temp gloss black paint. Overall the install went really easy. MustangSteve's directions are okay but he leaves out the final bits of stuff to make it all work. He says in the instructions to make new hard lines and modify the 2014 factory rubber hoses but I'm going to try and make my existing stainless steel lines work by connecting braided steel lines at the factory location. If anyone has done this before please let me know which lines you used.

Overall the brakes look great and should be able to stop a lightweight 66 mustang pretty good with some high quality EBC red pads. For less than $700 bucks including pads you can't beat them in my opinion. Granted I still have to buy a master cylinder, braided lines, distribution block and proportioning valve for the rear but all told it should still come under a grand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg centering ring.jpg (72.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg machined hub.jpg (48.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg hub2.jpg (56.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg rotor.jpg (66.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg rotor2.jpg (63.4 KB, 92 views)
Caper50 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:03 AM

I was going that route a couple years ago. I purchased a set of 2015 take off 13" rotors and calipers from Rousch Racing. The problem was I needed to sell my 15" TTD wheels to fund new 17" wheels and tires. I couldn't find a buyer and I really needed tires. So I just put it on the back burner for now.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

I like using factory parts whenever possible. You can't beat the factory engineering and quality in most cases.
Huskinhano, Israel and W211_RYDA like this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
The problem was I needed to sell my 15" TTD wheels to fund new 17" wheels and tires. I couldn't find a buyer and I really needed tires. So I just put it on the back burner for now.
I think the 16" wheels I'm planning on will clear the calipers. I believe they will have about 1/4 inch of clearance based on my preliminary measurements, although the true test will be when I purchase them and install them on the car. The 13" rotors and calipers would definitely need a 17" wheel. A side note, Mustang's only came with 17" wheels with this brake package but I believe a Ford Transit Van has the same brakes and uses 16" wheels.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 AM

I suspect hubs got swapped over the years and/or factory tolerances are off a bit, I had one hub that was fine and one that needed turned too.... Not a big deal, but it's something people should be aware of as a potential hiccup in installation since clearly i'm not the only one that had that issue.

I love the kit though.... good stuff!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:21 AM

What wheels are you going to be running? I have 16" TTDs and would love to run this setup as well, but can't seem to find any information surrounding potential fit with this wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian66 View Post
I think the 16" wheels I'm planning on will clear the calipers. I believe they will have about 1/4 inch of clearance based on my preliminary measurements, although the true test will be when I purchase them and install them on the car. The 13" rotors and calipers would definitely need a 17" wheel. A side note, Mustang's only came with 17" wheels with this brake package but I believe a Ford Transit Van has the same brakes and uses 16" wheels.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father LeadFoot View Post
What wheels are you going to be running? I have 16" TTDs and would love to run this setup as well, but can't seem to find any information surrounding potential fit with this wheel.
I'm leaning toward either Vintage Wheel's V45 or Legenday's Styled Alloy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 PM

I have MS 2005 fronts. I just had to add a radius to the edge of hubs.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:23 AM

i just ran into a similar issue with cobra brakes-

100% original hubs- i have 4 sets here - i had done 4 or 5 sets before and no issues-- this latest set the rotors are a good 1/8" narrower in the width of the hub and the hubs will need to be turned down-

now i have another set of rotors that are over a 1/2" wider where the hub face is-- so its a rotor brand issue--

the set that was too small was stoptech bought from summit-- pretty sure offshore .

the ones that are significantly wider are extreme stop made in canada-- i think they use raybestos blanks but not certain.

Mike
64.5 vert rust free survivor :
Stacked EFI- Ford strokers 347
Hydroboost/InfinityBox /Coilovers
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

64.5 Vert (all original sheetmetal)
68 survivor vert- 5.0 AOD wifes driver
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363178 64.5 build
www.cartelclassics.com (all will eventually load here)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page