Possibly upgrading to a bigger radiator for my 65....Few questions - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

5Likes

post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:28 PM

I actually started mine today, I'm going for a factory look, using all 69/70 mounting hardware and using the 67/68 "conversion" battery tray mentioned above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (96.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (96.3 KB, 52 views)
Huntingky likes this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
DISCLAIMER: My car isnt' mobile yet so i dont know how good or bad this setup is.

With that said, I put a BeCool aluminum radiator in mine. I think it was around $600 for the radiator and am going to put 2 12" fans on it. Should be more than enough cooling. The radiator installation was pretty easy. Had to drill a couple holes in the frame rails for the radiator support dowels to sit, cut a larger opening in the front, drill out the holes on the supplied mounting brackets.

See my build thread for more details on that.

The battery has to be relocated to the trunk. No way are you going to be fitting a stock tray in there with this setup. I did have to swap the timing cover and water pump as inlets was on the wrong side. I have a flowKooler hiflo pump on there...
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glmarker View Post
If that electric fan is one of those <$50 electric fans (probably from China), the CFM on most of them is WAY optimistic. Try a good electric fan, like a SPAL. My SPAL reflects 1/2 of the CFM my Chinese fan did, but it works, and the Chinese fan didn't do the job.

Match a Griffin to a SPAL fan, and you will probably cure your overheating. It did mine.

Gary
It is a spal. I apologize for not mentioning that.

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:23 AM

Telecomboss - something else I just thought about, water pump pulley size. perhaps you are not turning the pump fast enough at idle to move enough water through your system.

Just a thought.

Gary
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Telecomboss - something else I just thought about, water pump pulley size. perhaps you are not turning the pump fast enough at idle to move enough water through your system.

Just a thought.

Gary
Hmmm..... I did swap the pulley out for a CVF one. Wonder if I went with the over drive or the underdrive one...... Im going to have to research this. Great point.

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Just a thought.

Gary
Yeah i just checked and its a High Flow water pump pulley

https://www.cvfracing.com/Ford-High-...sbfl2wp-hf.htm

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
If that electric fan is one of those <$50 electric fans (probably from China), the CFM on most of them is WAY optimistic. Try a good electric fan, like a SPAL. My SPAL reflects 1/2 of the CFM my Chinese fan did, but it works, and the Chinese fan didn't do the job.

Match a Griffin to a SPAL fan, and you will probably cure your overheating. It did mine.

Gary
What part number is that fan?
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:08 AM

dpmustang:

my records tell me that the part number for the SPAL electric fan is VA18-AP71/LL-59A or part # 30102050. Not sure where I had the part number from, but the SPAL number should be easy to locate. If you have any problems, let me know and I will do some more digging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (52.0 KB, 11 views)
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Hmmm… Your cooling is inadequate when moving slowly.Your electric fan isn't up to the job. I suspect a 17" 6 or 7 blade thermal clutch fan would move a lot more air when your car isn't moving. A shroud would be required, too, and I'd add a distributor vacuum control valve to ensure it stays below 220°.
Well guess what? I took off the radiator cap today and cant see any fluid in there, which means there is not enough. Also means there is a leak, Looked at the drop pan and it looks like its leaking under the dampner which means its coming from a bolt or something on the water pump. Its small, but it has leaked enough over the last 6 months that I havent noticed. Going to see if i can stop the leak, fill up again and see what happens.

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:16 PM

It's probably coming out of the weep hole, which is there to alert you that the water pump seal and / or bearing is toast.

Z

post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM

I went to an aluminum ECP (engineered cooling products) unit two years ago. No heating issues of any kind since. I also use a Gano top hose filter to keep junk out of the radiator, and a seven bladed fan on a therm/centrifugal clutch. Oh, and a shroud.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecomboss View Post
16 inch medium profile straight blade puller electric fan. 1600 CFM
Do you have that centered or offset?
What kind of room between it and the WP is there? You might have room for the 4 row 18" rads before you go cutting and such.

How could we ever judge if our fans are moving enough air and with a 16" fan something is left uncovered, 1 row on each end or 2 on one side and which end.

Ive got THERMOCURE soaking in mine for about 36 hours now with my fingers crossed.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
It's probably coming out of the weep hole, which is there to alert you that the water pump seal and / or bearing is toast.

Z
Lost me there Z. The bottom of the dampner and the tranny cooling lines have some on it. Going to have to fill it up and leave it running to see where the drip is coming from. But I know i cant see any coolant in the radiator at all when i removed the cap. So I will let you know my findings.

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:52 PM

There is a little hole on the water pump housing, likely behind or near the pulley. It's called a weep hole. Fluid will come out the weep hole when your water pump has had it.

Maybe someone has a photo and will post it that can highlight the weep hole ? ?

Z

post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:58 PM

Here you go

Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page