Vintage Mustang Forums banner

$ Wanted $: K-code verification in WI / MN

6K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  evantugby 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone up in the Minneapolis/St Paul or Eau Claire Wisconsin area willing and able to authenticate a HiPo engine in a 1966 fastback with a K-code vin? I would need you either this Thursday or upcoming weekend. Let me know what I can hire you for and your credentials.

What I do know. Car has K-code vin. Car has the casting "19" and "20" on the heads. *Car does NOT have K-code vin stamped into the block.* Car does have larger harmonic balancer on a 289 engine with casting number (C5AE-6015E) with date code of 5F18. Car does not have a/c or power steering.

Would like someone verify the following:
1. Correct dual point centrifugal distributor
2. Front bobweight near the timing chain with the unique lower sprocket
3. Correct HiPo exhaust manifolds
4. HiPo main caps (if you can even tell without completely disassembling the engine)
5. "HP" designation in paint inside the bellhousing area
6. The correct HiPo valvetrain with fewer coils on the main spring and the screw in rocker arm studs and valve spring seats.
7. The correct HiPo aluminum gear with nylon teeth and oil slinger on the crank.

I realize some of this might be taking the breakdown of the engine to far. I'll rely on your expertise to tell me we've had enough verification.

Note: Before this thread starts a discussion on whether or not HiPo engines had their K-code Vin stamped in the block, let me point out the expert, Bob Mannel, author of Mustang & Ford Small BLock V8-1962-1969 who states "HiPo Mustangs generally had their VIN stamped into the block."

Thanks,
Evan

See less See more
#4 ·
You should get in touch with Jim C @ Shelby Parts and Restoration in Green Bay WI. He has the most experience of anyone I know of who is anywhere close to the neighborhood.

FYI, many items you describe could have easily been replaced at some point . Another thing worth mentioning, no replacement HiPo engine, and there were himdreds of them as warranty replacement, had a VIN stamped in it.

You know, you could post a few photos on the HiPo forum and get your desired answers a lot easier than hiring someone.

Z

#5 ·
Zray,
How about I pick you up on the way up from Texas and you rode trip up to Wisconsin with me and I can rely on your expertise! ;)

#12 · (Edited)
I want both. I know the car is a K-code. What I am in the process of doing is verifying the engine is a HiPo.

What I know: It is a 289 block (C5AE-6015E) however doesn't have a VIN number stamped in it because its been replaced. It has correct heads verified by the 19 and 20 casting number on the side of the heads; it has the larger Harmonic Balancer; it has the large single pulley on the alternator, it has the HiPo carburetor (FoMoCo C6ZF C). It has cast iron exhaust manifolds too.

What I don't know: What I have not verified are the HiPo main caps, the HiPo flat-tappet mechanical cam, the HiPo pistons, the correct HiPo valvetrain (main springs with flat-wound damper spring inside and thicker retainers and screw in rocker arm studs). But you can't do any of that until you start disassembly.

The 4-speed manual transmission is also not original. It has a transmission tag of HEH BV 017425 which comes back to a 1966 Fairlane, Falcon 289 wide 28-spline (IDK what that means) with a VIN of 6H01G599349.

Thoughts/concerns?

#19 · (Edited)
1966 K-code Fastback with HiPo and was a true GT car at one point. The HiPo "clack clack clack" noise sounds very different then my A-code car.

Attachments

#22 ·
Way to go!! Good looking ride. Did it still have the door tag? Steering box tag should be HCC-AX if it is still there. What about axle tag? Love the dual point dist. Does it have "the drop" done? What original parts came with the car? Tach, intake, carb,( looks like Autolite). Nice find :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#23 ·
Looks like you found what you were looking for and then some? Well let's get this thing out and do some cruising...in the hill country before it gets too hot! Let us know when you are ready....

#24 ·
I'm ready!

Way to go!! Good looking ride. Did it still have the door tag? Steering box tag should be HCC-AX if it is still there. What about axle tag? Love the dual point dist. Does it have "the drop" done? What original parts came with the car? Tach, intake, carb,( looks like Autolite). Nice find :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
It does have the original door tag. Steering box tag does ready HCC-AX. I haven't seen an axle tag nor have I specifically looked for one either. It does have the Shelby drop. I was able to get the original K-code radiator, the Autolite Carb (C40F AL which is for 1964 1/2) and the manifold.

Nice looking ride!!! Was it in the range that you were looking to spend?
What's the first thing you are going to do to this one?
This was over the range I was looking to spend for a Shelby GT-350 Tribute. However this one happened to be a K-code so I increased my budget a bit. ;) I will probably do a suspension job all the way around. If I was going to do anything significant I would paint it Sapphire Blue with either the white or gold stripes! However I heard a good paint job on these cars are $5000+ That's a lot of money to destroy a perfectly good red paint for a blue paint.

#26 ·
The original color was sauterne gold. There is no way I am putting that color back on this car. The Shelby GT-350 was the hottest car that came out of the 60s. Why would I want to shed the "shelby garb"? I can't afford the real thing so this is as close as I'll get to the real one! K-code HiPo GT-350 clone is almost as good as the real thing. Its more correct than 99% of the clones out there.

#29 · (Edited)
The original color was sauterne gold. There is no way I am putting that color back on this car.

I do love the gold mustangs...got 2 of em.

Sauterne is rarely seen, nowadays. You would definitely stand out. I have to find some more sauterne cars to remember this color more.

the last time I posted this picture....you picked me off as a local.

EDIT: I googled Sauterne Gold...more green than I remember...but can be very gold too. It's one of those colors you gotta see, and it depends on the light.

Attachments

#30 ·
All true, but I didn't say he had too. I just asked why not. Also, how many times will it take of people asking you "Is it a real one" before you get tired of answering no? And if you think they won't, you are sadly mistaken. I only own a real '66 GT. Almost ever time I drive it, and that was on a daily basis up until it dropped cylinder one a couple weeks ago, I got asked almost every time. My tag says "A 66 GT" , it looks like it is 51 years old in almost every aspect...and they still ask.

#33 ·
If someone asks me if its a real Shelby I will respond by saying "You tell me." Then I'll watch them try to figure it out. When they see that K-code vin and hear that HiPo motor, I think most will believe it's a real GT-350, even you Patrick. ;)

#34 ·
I'm not suggesting I possess near enough knowledge on original Shelby's to discerne authentic versus not. I was a SAAC member five years and have attended as many conventions. So I can say I have been around several hundred and have ridden in many. One of my best friends here has a '66 Hertz 4-speed car with 8-track player. I will say there are tiny details you can use to discern.

#35 ·
I'll chime in here simply as a novice to Shelbys (and K-codes). I feel Shelby's are the pinnacle in the Mustang world. The closest thing to a Shelby is (to me) a K-code, especially in the vintage being discussed in this thread. I will preface by saying that I admire these vehicles in there original forms. To me, (layman's opinion) to take what I would consider the 2nd best vehicle of it's time (in this genre) and try and turn it into the best Mustang made, is doing an injustice to both a Shelby and a K-code.

With that being said, I would also congratulate you on your find...it's a beautiful vehicle.

Allen

#39 ·
To some degree I am a purist too and like things original. However I would never want this car if it was still Sauterne Gold. I am telling you that I think there is a market out there for guys like me wanting a Shelby GT-350 tribute car that actually has a HiPo K-code vin. Its as close to the real deal as you can get without paying $125K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.