69 mustang firewall pad clips - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 70Machboy

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

69 mustang firewall pad clips

how many of the rubber clips hold the firewall pad on? there was only 2 on what was left on mine. both at the heater box. non ac.

are there any on the other side of the steering column or around it?

is the pad all one piece? if seen lots of pics where the pad was cut at the steering column leaving just a small piece of pad on the left side of the column. what holds that piece up? i've seen one pic with 2 screws holding it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:19 AM

I have a heater only (non-AC) 1970 Mach so I donít think it would have been much different. Iím attaching pics of my pad and where the rubber pin clips were. My driver side actually has two metal screws with large flat washers (San Diego plant) instead of the pin clips like Iíve seen others have. Much of the pad is actually held in place by the items that mount against the inside of the firewall. I also included a labeled depiction of what all the holes are on the entire firewall, but I had reduce its resolution so much I donít know if its readable.

Hope all this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Mach HeaterOnly Pad.JPG (85.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Pad Anchors.JPG (86.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Labeled Firewall Holes.JPG (96.2 KB, 22 views)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

so the pad is actually 2 pieces. one small piece on the left side of the steering column. i only found one small hole in the firewall for that piece. too small for a rubber clip. its the size of a screw hole but its in the location of where the bottom pin would be in your second pic. i'll have to look closer to see if i can find another hole up higher for another screw.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM

My pad actually separated into 3 portions, as can be seen by the pic with the red dividing lines.
From what I've seen in examining other 1969-70 firewall pads visually online is that they are not always mounted the same. "Generally" they are mounted with just 4 plastic pin clips. Two of them are anchoring the main right side portion (circled in green) and the other two are used to anchor the far left portion. On mine the far left portion didnít have the plastic pin clips but rather the two small screws (circled in blue)with large flat washers. All the ones Iíve seen have used the plastic pin clips on the right portion. The middle on mine wasnít really held up by much at all, I think some of the other components that overlayed this helped keep it there. It has a break where the black tape is so it could be placed around the steering column.
You should examine your firewall for holes on the driver side that match the exact hole type that anchored the pin clips of your passenger side. On mine there were none on the driver side because apparently San Jose just used the small screws instead. Good luck finding these plastic pin clips, as so far I have not found anyone that reproduces them. Please let me know if you do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mid Piece.JPG (69.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg R Side Labeled Holes.JPG (94.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1970 Mach Pad Divisions.JPG (83.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by 70Machboy; 05-18-2017 at 05:28 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...-100155-1.html

Are these the pins?

Allen Turner

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 PM

My '70 Mach I also came with the 2 screws and washers on the left side (Metuchen)

Larry

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM

Eureka!! You found them!
Thanks Allen!! I’ll put that source in my master parts records.
I guess it was just the Dearborn plant that used four of those pins.
Turnall likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 PM

The clips are to make sure it's in the right spot. There's a contact cement that holds it against the wall... and there are more than two pins.

Firewall Insulation Kit 1969-1970 Mustang & Cougar | Firewall Insulation & Hardware | Heating & Cooling | Mustang | MustangsUnlimited.com

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:24 AM

The center piece was glued in place.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 PM

That Mustangs Unlimited repo firewall pad and pin set is a real ultra-cheapo version that I wouldn't even consider using. I'd use Dynamat before that one. The pins Allen found do look like the real deal, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page