Price this K-code 1966 please! - Vintage Mustang Forums

15Likes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Price this K-code 1966 please!

VMFrs,
Need your help. Requesting two things: The MARKET VALUE and PRICE YOU WOULD PAY for this 1966 Mustang fastback K-code. Please base your info on the following information I know about the car.

-Has verified 289 engine without K-code vin stamping.
-Large single pulley on alternator (consistent with HiPo engines)
-Has larger harmonic balancer consistent with HiPo engine
-Has HiPo heads verified with correct castings
-Car currently using after market carb but car will come with Autolite Carb (FoMoCo C6ZF C) which is a HiPo carburetor
-Car has cast iron exhaust manifold consistent with original HiPo exhaust manifold
-Car has 4-speed manual transmission without K-code vin

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (9.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 1966-ford-k-code-mustang-fastback-gt350-clone-5.jpg (50.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg index.jpg (10.3 KB, 115 views)

1965 Ford Mustang, A-code Coupe
WimbledonWhite, Red interior
Automatic with 302 engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 PM

It reminds me of the clone GT 350 that was in one of the auctions recently. It was supposedly a genuine K car and someone cloned it into a GT 350 and we discussed the merits of the value of a stock K car vs the value of a clone GT 350. I think we decided that it would be worth more as a stock K car than as a cloned GT 350. Is this that car?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
It reminds me of the clone GT 350 that was in one of the auctions recently. It was supposedly a genuine K car and someone cloned it into a GT 350 and we discussed the merits of the value of a stock K car vs the value of a clone GT 350. I think we decided that it would be worth more as a stock K car than as a cloned GT 350. Is this that car?
In a nutshell- to the K code market, the value is in the fact that it's a real 289HP car.
To the Shelby bunch, it's not a real Shelby, so.......
I have no idea why anyone would do the subject car like this at this point in time.
I'm sure that's basically the conclusion arrived at.

I think coming up with a accurate dollar value for the subject car, as it sits, may be difficult.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 05-19-2017 at 12:50 PM.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:13 PM

If you are looking to make an "Investment" in a real "K" code, keep looking.
If you are looking for the deal of the century on an original complete real "K" code, you will likely be looking for a very long time.
If you are looking for a nice car to drive, perhaps this is the one. Too often people focus on price without considering the value of having a car that puts a smile on your face every time you drive it.

If you are trying to justify a discretionary purchase of an automotive toy, you are more likely going to be disappointed having let nice examples slip between your fingers. As a 14 year old kid, I was smitten by a particular car that represented the pinnacle of automotive perfection to me at the time. I told myself "Someday....." Fast forward 25 years and I had the means to fulfill my teen automotive lust. I struggled with the idea of buying a car that was 3 times more expensive than any other car I had ever considered buying. In the process, I came to the conclusion that I could not "justify" the purchase as a prudent investment under any stretch of the imagination. At the same time, I realized that if I didn't buy it, I would likely regret that choice for the rest of my life. I resolved the dilemma by recognizing the value of being able to enjoy the car of my dreams any day of the week and take my chances financially when the time came to move that car down the road.

I bought that car and thoroughly enjoyed it for 9+ years before moving on to my next toy. Words to live by: Life is too short to waste it driving boring cars.
Fuelish likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA has moved on to its next caretaker*
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM

$35,000 depending on how much sheet metal has been replaced. If a lot has been replaced , I would pass altogether , K or not. I have no interest in a "frankenstien" car. Others would pay more i'm sure.
evantugby likes this.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 43 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM

IMO this is a weird car. Why bastardize a known very desirable high value car and make a clone?
A 6 cyl automatic could be cloned. The end result in either case it's a clone! JMO.
Fastang68 likes this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:45 PM

if you are like me and will keep the car for your entire life then value doesnt matter. value only matters if you plan to sell the car down the road. i have the cars i have to enjoy, not for investment. i invest in stocks not cars. btw thats a nice mustang thats had a few mods. if you like like buy it. as for price i dont know, what is it worth to you ?

supershifter2 < !

Last edited by supershifter2; 05-19-2017 at 03:48 PM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Gents,
Six responses received and only one dollar figure. I was pretty specific on what I'm looking for. Please take your best stab at Market Value and Price you would pay for this car based on the info I provided.

GT350HR--you receive a prize for following directions! haha Thank you for your feedback!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 PM

Sorry
supershifter2 likes this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Me sorry to. I have a 65 K GT fastback in bought in 1974 but I dont keep up with market value. Will keep it until i'm dead and then the gov can decide what to do with it. I'm only pawn in game of life. Here is #7501.

supershifter2 < !
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evantugby View Post
Gents,
Six responses received and only one dollar figure. I was pretty specific on what I'm looking for. Please take your best stab at Market Value and Price you would pay for this car based on the info I provided.

GT350HR--you receive a prize for following directions! haha Thank you for your feedback!
You apparently missed my point. If you are waiting for a "blue light special" you may be waiting for a long time. I suggest that it is less about price, and more about value. If the car hits all your hot buttons and you can afford it, pull the trigger. Otherwise, keep looking.

To your original post, you failed to provide enough information about the car to elicit a meaningful response. If you are a serious buyer, go look at the car and come back with more information about history, current condition, title status, etc.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA has moved on to its next caretaker*

Last edited by JeffTepper; 05-19-2017 at 06:51 PM.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
You apparently missed my point. If you are waiting for a "blue light special" you may be waiting for a long time. I suggest that it is less about price, and more about value. If the car hits all your hot buttons and you can afford it, pull the trigger. Otherwise, keep looking.

To your original post, you failed to provide enough information about the car to elicit a meaningful response. If you are a serious buyer, go look at the car and come back with more information about history, current condition, title status, etc.
Jeff,
I asked for two dollar amounts, 1) market value and 2) price you would pay. Very simple request. I didn't miss your point but while I appreciate your words, they didn't answer my question to help me assess the value. Of course everyone wants more information but they have to work with what information I provided.

I appreciate the one guy who laid it all on the line, who decided to give it his best shot and take a stab at answering my request. Thank you GT350HR, you sir, took a chance, laid it all on the line and came through by deciding to put down a $$ amount! That's informative and I would even say courageous around this forum...

I post these very specific questions because I value the opinions of this forum's members. I ask that you try to help me out by providing specific answers to my questions. If there was more information I would provide it.

Thanks all!

Last edited by evantugby; 05-19-2017 at 07:08 PM.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 PM

I'm gonna say 40k
evantugby likes this.

1964.5 Convertible D Code with factory 4 Speed born July 6th 1964

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:34 PM

Seriously not trying to be an A$$ here, but you have been on this endeavor since you joined here. What does it matter what any of us would pay or value the car? If you like it, can afford it, and feel you are getting value which you are comfortable with, buy it.

$45K for correct K
$30K as is

I have no knowledge of true market value, but you asked for numbers. Best of luck.
evantugby likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:38 PM

It depends, doesn't it? Are you going to drive it "as is," or put it back original? Because that makes the proposition two different things. "As is," assuming no rust or marginal repairs, it's at least a $30-35K car. But, if that's your budget and you want to return it to original, or close, then you're looking at another, what, $10K? If you want to drive it as-is for a year or two and then flip it, like any car done to the taste of a PO, selling it for what you think it's worth might be difficult. When you start getting into the high-end territory of true K-codes, originality counts for much more than, "well, it's a nice Shelby clone." Apologies in advance if I, too, failed to answer your question.
evantugby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page