Who has bought new front Brake Shoes recently? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Who has bought new front Brake Shoes recently?

Looking to replace the front Brake Shoes on my 65 vert 289. 10"x2.25"
Want to get a little better stopping than I currently have with 10 year old shoes.
What did you get and where did you buy them?
Thanks,
Ock

I know discs are better, but not looking to upgrade right now. Figure I'll start with the front shoes and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:52 PM

When I did my front drum brakes I needed new drums as well. As you know the small blocks have a 2.25" wide shoe. Big blocks have a 2.5" wide shoe. What I noticed was there's only 1 drum listed. Both size shoes use the same finned replacement drum. So I simply used big block 2.5" wide shoes with the associated spring kit on my 66. They worked really well. When I swapped to my 72 disc brakes I can say from my use the drums worked just as well. If fact I liked the drums better since they are self energizing.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM

On YouTube search for "autorestomod ford front drum brakes". You will find a Part 1 video and Part 2 video that contains some good drum brake information. In particular, at about 11 minutes into Part 1 there is a discussion about the backing plate shoe support pads. Be sure to check your backing plate to see if you have grooves worn into the pads like in the video. Such grooves prevent the shoes from moving smoothly as designed.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM

AFAIK, you can't buy a better brake shoe for the street than the Porterfield R4-S . I believe Opentracker has them, and you can buy from Porterfield, or at least you once could.

Vintage Mustang Suspension and Steering Friction Free Roller Bearing Performance - Opentracker Racing Products

Z

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Huskinhano,
I was aware "Both size shoes use the same finned replacement drum." However, I wasn't planning to replace the existing drums, just the shoes (will get the drums turned). I don't believe the 2.5" shoes can be used with the existing drums(correct me if I am mistaken).
Thanks for all the input.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockbob View Post
Huskinhano,
I was aware "Both size shoes use the same finned replacement drum." However, I wasn't planning to replace the existing drums, just the shoes (will get the drums turned). I don't believe the 2.5" shoes can be used with the existing drums(correct me if I am mistaken).
Thanks for all the input.

I don't believe so either. I was mentioning that if you were buying new drums. You just might have to. If they're original drums who knows how many times they've been cut over the last 50 years. I haven't found anyplace around me in years that cut drums or rotors. Everyone has gotten rid of them.

Another trick that use to be done with drums. Radially drill them like you would disc rotors. It won't trap water and they'll cool better. Google it. Also like the previous post said, check the backing plates for wear. I had to weld mine up and grind them down. I had mine working so well too. I could take my hands of the wheel at 50 jamb on the brakes and the car would stop dead straight.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 PM

I just replaced my 66 Convertible front brake shoes on my 6 cylinder with the Porterfield R4-S at $79 plus shipping--altogether about $94. Car stops a good 20 per cent better. I also had those grooves where the pads are on the backing plates. I guess 50 years will do that. Took the backing plates to a welder to fill in those grooves and grind smooth again.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66conv6 View Post
I just replaced my 66 Convertible front brake shoes on my 6 cylinder with the Porterfield R4-S at $79 plus shipping--altogether about $94. Car stops a good 20 per cent better. I also had those grooves where the pads are on the backing plates. I guess 50 years will do that. Took the backing plates to a welder to fill in those grooves and grind smooth again.
What site did you purchase the shoes?
Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 PM

+1 for the Porterfield R4-S Shoes.
Before the power disc brake swap I had them one mine, too. The stopping power was way better in comparison with the stock ones. And the fading when the shoes getting hot almost disappeared.

When you buy them just make sure that you selected the R4-S ones. There is also a R4 version available but these are for track use only.

'68 Mustang Coupe
289cui V8, C4 Trans, Hughes 2200Stall TC, Speed Pro Forged Piston 4.030", AFR 165 #1399 heads, Ford Racing E303 Cam, Lunati Link-Bar Lifters, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Edelbrock 500cfm carb, Pertronix II billet distributor, Hooker Competition Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2,5" Flowmaster American Thunder SS exhaust with Dynomax Ultra Flow SS mufflers, 8" rear /w 3.25:1 and trac lock posi, 15x7 TTD 215/65R15, Borgeson Steering, CSRP 4-piston power disc brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page