5Likes
  • 1 Post By 4ocious
  • 2 Post By subpar63
  • 1 Post By Lizer
  • 1 Post By kenash

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

New Carpet Install Tips Wanted

Hi Guys,

Installing a new carpet in the '68 'Vert this weekend and wanting any tips you may have. I know to measure twice and cut once but anything about holes and slits that may help me out??

Please Visit Our '93 Mustang Drag Car's Website
http://www.rebelracing.8k.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:56 AM

Unroll the sections and lay 'em out in the sun for a spell. Don't assume any pre-slit transmission cutout is placed properly. Original loop and jute backing?
lucasp likes this.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Lt. Cmdr. Ernest E. Evans, U.S. Navy-"This is going to be a fighting ship. I intend to go in harm's way..."

Last edited by 4ocious; 05-20-2017 at 12:59 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
Unroll the sections and lay 'em out in the sun for a spell. Don't assume any pre-slit transmission cutout is placed properly. Original loop and jute backing?
Yes loop original style. had them put n the sun yesterday while it was 80.... try it again tomorrow in slightly cooler temps.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Racing View Post
Yes loop original style. had them put n the sun yesterday while it was 80.... try it again tomorrow in slightly cooler temps.
It's said not to let a drill bit get anywhere near loop carpet or bad thread runs can occur. That goes for drilling up through the floor too, remember that always. I employed many weights to get mine formed nicely before cutting any edges.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Lt. Cmdr. Ernest E. Evans, U.S. Navy-"This is going to be a fighting ship. I intend to go in harm's way..."

Last edited by 4ocious; 05-20-2017 at 02:07 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Once any hole locations have been made (I used an awl), use a hot solder iron to "melt" the carpet for the screw holes.

And as already stated - keep the drill and drill bit in your tool chest.
kenash and Shoelessjoe75 like this.

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017:
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12
4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac
Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Laying carpet is probably the easiest thing that people make out to be entirely way too hard.

In my 67, I set mine in place in the car and set a bunch of weights on it to try to make it conform into place, but I don't know if that really did anything.

Put your seat belt bolts in and leave the screws for the dimmer switch sticking up far.

Next set your carpet into place, and get it as high up on the firewall as you want to go.

Take the top handle off your shifter. Measure the distance to the shifter from the edge of the carpet on the firewall and put a hole in the carpet just large enough for the shifter handle to fit through. I poked a hole with an awl and then used a utility knife to make a larger slit.

Push all your corners into place along the rockers and seat pans, and then feel for the holes in the seat pan, you can actually push the carpet down into the hole a little bit. Alternatively you can slide your hand under the carpet from the back edge to find the hole with your finger, with your other hand, mark that spot on top of the carpet, and then make a hole with your awl and then cut an X. Do that for all 8 seat platform holes.

Next feel for the seat belt bolts and cut an X on top of them, then bolt your seat belts in to help hold the carpet in place.

Do the same for the dimmer switch.

Once all this is done, trim the carpet at the rocker. See how far down the kick plate goes to see how much carpet you need to leave, as it needs to be able to tuck beneath the kick plate enough that it won't get pulled out from stepping into the car etc.

It helps to cut a square of the jute backing away once you've marked your hole with the awl, and then make your cut in the carpet.

Now that the carpet is in place, go back and cut right along the edge of the shifter, you'll be able to feel it through the carpet. You'll have a perfect fit here.
BradAlbrecht likes this.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:36 AM

In case this gets lost in all of these good tips, when it's time to make holes, as mentioned, use a pencil tip soldering iron to poke it through and cauterize the wound, so to speak. Best tip I ever received!
msh-r likes this.

Ken ..
64 1/2 Poppy Red too!, Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, MD
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thumbup

Thanks for all the tips Guys, it'll definitely get me going in the right direction.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:54 PM

i think a bag of sand to hold mine down .. is in order ...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:56 PM

Kelly did a great write up not long ago on carpet install. I recommend looking that up.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Everywhere there is a bolt, screw, etc., such as seat belts, transmission shifter, headlight dimmer switch, etc. INSTALL them BEFORE putting the carpet. Then, when the carpet is in, there will be lumps that are easy to find, and I use an Exacto knife to cut a slot for them, and with the bolt in place, it is easy to see how big to make the hole prior to using heat to seal the carpet.

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 AM

One additional tip, this is additional to the tip of cauterizing.....go down to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a bottle of latex carpet seam sealer. It helps to run a small bead along the edges of cuts to avoid fraying.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page