Vintage Mustang Forums banner

DIY Alignment System

11K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  zray 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing a front end alignment system to use in my garage. There are several manufacturers and I am looking for feedback/recommendations from any on here that have their own...thx

#3 ·
First, I'm not an alignment guru. Bypass this post if you wish. :smile2:

For measuring toe: Use the string method. You can find lots of videos on this.

For measuring camber: There is an easy and accurate gauge you can make using a digital angle finder and a piece of angle iron.
You can purchase the digital angle finder from HarborFreight. If you have a table saw, this gauge is great for setting the blade angle on it as well so you will get more bang for your buck.
Reference video:

For measuring caster: You can use the digital angle gauge for this, though I haven't worked out the process yet.

#5 ·
If you do a forum search on "home alignment" or "self alignment" you will find plenty of recommendations. One good choice is the Longacre digital camber / caster gauge. Several member here, including myself, use it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-78290

For setting the toe, there are several methods of using a string that are surprisingly accurate, or this product is also a good choice. I have one of these, and use it to double check my string toe method.

https://www.tenhulzenautomotive.com/product-page/copy-of-toe-plates-w-stand-offs

Z

#8 ·
I use the Longacre bubble type caster/camber gauge, it sells for about $114 at Summit as well as a Longacre toe setting bar for setting the toe. The bar sells for around $104 at Summit. If you use a toe setting bar, you will also need some method of scribing a line on the tread of the tire. I don't like the toe plates because if you have a tire that has a sidewall bulge, however slight, it can throw off your measurements. I learned alignment from an old school Bear Alignment tech, and it works very well for a small investment in tools.

#10 ·
Toe is adjusted by screwing the tie rod ends in or out. Generally you want about 1/8" of total toe in, unless you are into autoX and then it's anybody's guess.

#14 · (Edited)
I'd highly recommend getting the Ford shop manual. It's invaluable in doing your alignment as far as making adjustments for toe and setting the wheel straight. I used two wooden folding rulers supported across the car front of the wheels and back of the wheels. Scribe the center of both wheels and set both rulers on the scribe mark on one tire and you can read the difference in toe on the other wheel. You won't have to juggle one ruler front and back introducing possible error. Use plastic garbage bags as slip sheets under the tires to keep them from getting loaded up and you won't have to roll the car each time to check toe. As far as gauges, spindle mount bubble or wheel mount. Doesn't matter what style gauge use what you think you'll be most comfortable with. I like the bubble, at the time I had steel wheels and the run out was pretty bad.

Read the shop manual, sit and think about each step and you'll do fine. one reason why I get on my soap box and preach about doing it yourself is because I was like everyone else. Thinking it was black magic with a secret hand shake and one day I thought why can't I do it? Then I did.

#15 ·
I used two wooden folding rulers supported across the car front of the wheels and back of the wheels. Scribe the center of both wheels and set both rulers on the scribe mark on one tire and you can read the difference in toe on the other wheel. You won't have to juggle one ruler front and back introducing possible error.
I'm sure a picture of this would help.

I just want to get the first wheel in the right place in order to have my steering wheel centered. But worst case scenario is that it has to be tweaked a few times to get it right.

Thanks.

#17 ·
Doing an alignment properly yourself, is not impossible. I learned to do mine, including the bumpsteer adjustment. I was kind of "forced" when an alignment shop did not tighten the LCA eccentric, and it broke loose while driving.

Seems like not a lot of alignment shops are good with vintage cars.

I use a two direction laser, and two fastrax sets, along with a couple straight edges and levels. I have a short set of four platforms, that I made, which set the car perfectly level. This allows for setting ride height as well. I can also duck under the car to make adjustments, while doing the alignment.

There are a few pics in my VMF build forum.

It takes a bit of time to get the hang of it, but once set up, you can do a real nice alignment job in a few hours.

Once the car is level, I use the laser to true up the front wheels, with the back wheels.

Bumpsteer is much more involved and takes about 6-8 hours a side to do it right. But if you are stock ride height and standard tires, don't worry about it.

I am changing to a rack pretty soon, maybe I'll take some more photos or do a video

Good luck

#19 · (Edited)
Uh oh. I hoped Kelley had forgotten about that. She was pretty PO'ed at me for mentioning that page but not disclosing it's error.

Z

PS. once you look at the text and the photo, it's pretty easy to see how it's supposed to be. My manual is boxed up somewhere or I'd go over the details

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.