Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Hipo v. non-hipo carb

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  22GT 
#1 ·
I would like to know what external and internal differences separate the '65-'66 K-code carb from the A-code 4 barrel carb on the same year Mustangs. I have one of both carbs and I can't see any difference externally except the obvious stamped codes on the carbs' bases and the manual choke on the K carb. Thanks, Ron

#7 ·
Those often quoted CFM numbers are nowhere near reality for the 1.08 or 1.12 carb.

There are differences in jetting and in booster venturies.
The core for a 1.12 hipo 4100 is from a different mold than the other 1.12's and has a
ridge not present on regular 1.12 carbs. (see photo) Nor on 1.08 carbs.
The vacuum passageway for an automatic choke doesn't exist in a real hipo core.
The distributor vacuum port is plugged with what used to be an exceedingly rare
3/8-24 slotted head brass plug (now reproduced by some enterprising person).

Attachments

Reactions: zray
#10 ·
Tomorrow I'll get the stamped numbers off the base of the two Autolite 1.12 carbs on my bench. I know that one of the stamps is very light and tough to read, but I think the other one is readable. Did any non-hi-po Autolite 1.12 carbs show up on other Ford motors? Thanks, Ron...

#16 ·
4100's

I still have Jon's old carb book from Pony Cars. Here's the pages on the 4100s and the Hi-po's.

Attachments

#18 ·
Someone else is now making the copies and selling on eBay . But they have some external differences with the real HiPo carb, and are easily ID'd. I don't think the eBay carbs are being sold with the correct HiPo primary booster. Those boosters are very rare. The secondary booster are used in many big block carbs and are easily sourced.

Z

#19 ·
I don't think the eBay carbs are being sold with the correct HiPo primary booster. Those boosters are very rare.
Unless you know what carb to rob it from.........
The one I know works is not being exploited by the eBay seller. I doubt they know it even exists. Fortunately.

Reactions: zray
#20 ·
Finally got back to my garage and here are the stamps on the three 1.12 carbs I've had on the shelf for many years. I hope someone can decode these so we know what year/make/model car or truck they came on from the factory:

1. M
COAE K 0 (Note: the "0" following the "K" is over-stamped on the legs of the "K" and appears to have been done with a different stamp)

2. A
COAE K

3. M
COAE K

Thanks, Ron

#21 ·
C0AE-K

1960 352 cu in V-8...... like on Galaxies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.