Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Another NEGATIVE experience with CJ Pony Parts

5K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  kechke 
#1 ·
Ordered set PAIR (as in TWO) exhaust tips two weeks prior to an important car show. These tips are ONLY sold as a PAIR. Tips were in stock and should arrive in 4 to 5 days, all is good. Package shows up in a week leaving one week to install the tips for the show. One week is plenty of time for the job. Opened the package to find ONE (as in SINGLE) exhaust tip. Called CJ's and they said several pairs of exhaust tips were accidentally sent with only one tip, and they apologized.

I explained that I needed the second tip in 3 days or less in order to make the show. They said no problem and would be happy to 2nd day ship the second exhaust tip AT MY COST. Yup, my cost to get the second of a pair of tips in time for a show which I had originally ordered TWO WEEKS in advance of said show. Remember I mentioned CJ's said several orders were screwed up, and they apologized? Spoke to some supervisor (can't recall name). NO HELP.

Inexcusably poor customer service. I won't buy from CJ's again. NPD and Mustangs Plus from now on.

This is an opinion based solely on customer service experience received. I have no affiliation with any of the merchants mentioned except having spent a lot of cash with each (well, no longer CJ's).

See less See more
#2 ·
Where can I get info on your 460 swap,...I'm doing the same, Pro Street style.

#5 ·
One of several "moments" with CJ. I ordered a set of MAC headers for my 66 from them. When I get them it looks like they scrounged through their place to find enough pieces to complete the package. It look like they just dumped everything loose in the box. No packing or wrapping on anything. First thing, obviously the wrong headers, they're for a 5.0. I call them up. They don't want to hear I have the wrong ones. They insist I have the right ones. So I ask them why there are brings for oxygen sensors. They told me 66 Mustangs used oxygen sensors!

#6 ·
The only odd experience I made so far with them is ordering a ton of things and something did not arrive overseas (Europe). I called them up, they apologized and shipped on the same day using the most expensive and fastest international shipping method, worth approx. 60 usd, taking 3 days to arrive without any hassle. I found that very professional.
I also ordered a pair of EU LED-Tailights (because boring EU wants some alterations in the rear light system), and when I went to tracking on the USPS website, it said, it was delivered but I never got it. So I called them, and they reimbursed me on the spot (because they had no more on stock). Two days later the nearly 400 usd piece (shipping included which was expensive), arrived in my home. I called them to tell them that I got it, how to proceed, they say "Meh, don't worry about it, just keep it".

On the other hand, I ordered from other companies like Mustangprojects, I had an issue, and they kept blaming my end for the problem, I found out through two mechanics and a second piece I ordered from CJs, that the issue was on their end, and they did not send me anything, and for me to send back their broken version, I would have to spend approx. 60 usd on shipping, and just overall a bad experience, never again, even video and camera proof would not suffice for them to have sent me a back up because I needed it asap. I offered if they can help me directly via skype or whatsapp to troubleshoot due to the 8 hour time difference and they simply refused, because calling them from Europe directly would be very expensive.

Everyone makes good and negative experiences, but I can tell you, from all the commerce I did so far in my life, CJ Ponies, even if I pay a few bucks more from time to time, has just one of the best services. Ship same day, awesome user inter face in website, they take responsibility and in case of an error, at least with me, they always did WHAT SUITED ME THE BEST and not what was best for them, this is extremely rare in businesses these days, and hey guys, I am EU, I have much more at stake here (brutal shipping costs).

#7 ·
I ordered a core support from CJ and it was not made well, had some incorrect stamping, missing detail. I called back in and got a return authorization on it. Customer service was really, really nice talking with me on this. I ordered the Dynacorn one and it is very well made with all the correct detail in the stamping. I used the Dynacorn box to ship the other support back which cost me 30 bucks out of my pocket at the UPS store. They did refund me the cost of the original core support but not the return shipping. I ripped the first core support in my review and I just checked. I'm totally surprised but they posted the review including my detail photos. I don't feel like I should have to pay for the return shipping since they should not be selling this part but it won't stop me from continuing to buy parts from CJ.

#9 ·
I have to be honest, I have had nothing but good things about CJ's, Yes i have had some issues with parts, but also had similar issues with other vendors. I was sent the wrong leaf springs, Picture on site was incorrect, part number was correct but i went off the picture. They sent out the right springs which were more expensive for no extra cost. Had steering wheel issues, they had me send in pictures and then contacted me and sent out right one.

I also ordered my entire interior kit from them and then two days later they ran a 30% off sale. I was pissed and came on here to rant, called them and they ended up sending me a gift card for the difference.

Sucks for the OP, sorry to hear of your bad experience. Surprised at the CJ response to your issue.

#11 ·
I haven't really had any issues that I can recall with CJPP either. The only thing I can think of is their slow shipping. They're on the east coast and I'm in Seattle, so it seems to always take over a week to get my parts. So, unless it's a part that I can only order through them or I don't mind waiting a week or longer, I'll usually order through Summit... they have two day shipping to me, so if I order on a Monday night they'll have it to my door typically Wednesday afternoon.

#13 ·
I have not had any bad issues with CJ, but have only been dealing with them for 6 months. However, its site not only has good photos of parts, but good explanations of parts and materials (case in point the rear console light fixture for the 66 convertible) as well as helpful videos. I've gone to a dozen other sites, and nothing comes close. If you have other places, please let me know as its always good to have a second source.

#14 ·
Okay... can't say I was dissatisfied but.... went in to the Harrisburg store while I was in the area at the Carlisle show... Anthony was a nice, personable guy and took my order (which I had written down on a piece of paper, with part numbers) promptly. When done, I noticed that he had... a) only entered 1 coil spring insulator when I had clearly marked "x2" and forgot my inquiry about a woodgrain wheel. Alright, got those issues corrected. Now went around to dock 16 to pick everything up. Started checking off items... whoa..where's my carpet. Totally missing from the order. Go back around up front to add that... will have to be drop shipped. Fine..less I have to carry home. Go back and check off all my stuff. Missing the carpeted floor mats. Warehouse picker goes back to get the missing item.

Now, I say.... what would have happened if I hadn't been there, in person?

Being in the auto parts business, myself, I can honestly say that we all make mistakes, but WTF? To make it even more bizarre, my best bud was with me and he ordered 2 full quarters and 2 door skins for his '65. We go to dock 16 to load up and check stuff. He's got one straight quarter, one that looks like the Incredible Hulk walked on it and two QUARTER skins. huh?

#15 ·
The last time I was in the Harrisburg store I needed inner and outer tie rods for my 66. I tell the guy at the counter, 66 V8. He looks them up, not me. He comes back to the counter, he has 6 cylinder tie rods. I tell him he has the wrong ones. he looks them up again, nope he says, these are the right ones. We go back and forth a few times with no progress. Finally I had to make hime come out to the parking lot and look under a 66 with a V8. Finally he sees the differences and gets me the right ones.

#16 ·
I just had an issue where I ordered a rear sound deadener underlayment for my fastback. When it came, it was obviously a coupe cut out. Looked at the label to see that it was RELABELED wrong. with the fastback sticker over the coupe sticker. Contacted them, they wanted pictures of everything. So I sent them. They said they had to check there stock and would get back to me. A month later, I finally got my part, after going back and forth. NO MORE CJPP for me. If NPD does not have it I will find someone else...

#17 ·
I explained that I needed the second tip in 3 days or less in order to make the show. They said no problem and would be happy to 2nd day ship the second exhaust tip AT MY COST.
CJ Pony parts seems like the sort of company that wouldn't let go of a single dime to keep a customer or prevent another thread about how awful they are. Maybe even a penny.

Reactions: Huskinhano
#18 · (Edited)
I use NPD - ask for Andrew at the Florida location. I have ordered a lot of parts through him the last 3 years with no problems.

Robert at Virginia Classic Mustang is another good one and very knowledgeable about mustang parts. I have ordered from him for over 10 years with no problems either.

Both know me by name and remember the car I am working on.

#19 ·
Makes you feel good huh,....that's great customer service that keeps people coming back.

#20 ·
I ordered a convertible boot 2 weeks ago. After patiently waiting, I contacted them today and got "Oh, those are running about 6 to 8 weeks behind". Really? You certainly didn't want to wait that long to take my money, and you didn't say anything at all.

#21 ·
I've had quite a few orders from CJPP and a couple of times I wished I had ordered from some other house since it took a couple of days to process and fill the order but I get the parts 2 days after order is filled.

#22 ·
Hi All - First off, I'm sorry to read some of these posts. Not at all what I like to see coming from CJ's.

Secondly, let me introduce myself. My name is Chris and I work in the Marketing Department at CJ's. For those that are having any issues with anything CJ-related, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly via private message and I will personally look into it for you. Thank you for your patience and understanding. I'm here to help with anything y'all need.

#23 ·
While I won't vouch for some of the products they sell (Scott Drake...), CJP has taken care of me twice now. Due to part quality issues, that are no fault of their own, CJP has been willing to work though the issue, and more importantly, pay for return shipping.

Waste my time, I'm only a little pissed. Waste my time and money, and you're dead to me.

#24 ·
I had to order a bunch of panels for my 65 that were bad due to rust. All of the replacement parts were fine except a door shell and trunk lid that were WAY out of spec to use. The door panel was actually twisted. I waited for about 2 weeks for a tech to make a decision on a refund only to get the "some parts need tweaking to fit" reply. I grant him that, but it was clear from the 7-9 photos I sent these were just bad parts and he didn't want to issue a refund or supply new parts.

I had to contact Google (who insured/protected the order). They stepped in and I got a refund inside of 24 hours. I ordered Dynacorn parts from CJ and they were perfect.

Now, I've had good luck with CJ for the past 3 years, but I would have been screwed if not for Google helping me.

#25 ·
so far so good for me. But it does make me wonder if there is mass confusion going on due to them trying to expand into the truck and car market now. Went to their site the other day and was surprised to see chevy, dodge, jeep and now Toyota parts being sold there. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we start seeing some of the older mustang stuff being pushed out to make room for the newer stuff.

#29 ·
I've had a pretty good run with CJ's. 5 years ago they had great prices, free shipping, usually by FedEx arriving at my door within a week, but a lot of back-ordered parts. Today, the prices are somewhat higher than some of the other vendors I use, the shipping is 10 days away by UPS transferred to USPS, and there are less back-ordered items. Unfortunately it usually requires a 30% off sale to bring their prices in line with a couple of the other vendors I use, and less items seem to be included, then throw in the $200.00 minimum instead of the $100.00 minimum for the RPM club, and I make sure to check other vendors before placing an order.

I'm not bashing CJ's. I've had a couple problems and they've been corrected quickly, though communication has been a bit slow. CJ's business model has changed a little in the last 5 years, making some people happy with them, and others not.

I try and purchase the best available parts for my car. But when all the vendors are selling the same best part, I price shop for it.

#34 ·
I've ordered from cjp quite a bit, only two issues so far. Once they sent me the incorrect part that was labeled as the part I ordered. Emailed them they sent out the correct parts. The other issue is they must use the slowest shipping known to man. I didn't realize anyone still shipped by mule train anymore. lol. But I can't stand using NPD's website, it gives me a headache and I haven't found anyone that totally blows them out of the water on price yet but I am open to suggestions.

So who do you use for mail order parts?

#38 ·
Huh, I ordered an air filter from them a couple weeks back and somehow my post office lost it. Marked it delivered and everything but they sure as hell didn't give it to me because I was there with the garage door open all day!

I called up CJPP and they are sending me a new one, no hassle, right away.

Maybe it's because it's a low-cost, easy-to-find part, or maybe it just depends on who you get on the other end of the phone line. Who knows.

Reactions: Josep
#43 ·
I'll still order from CJ as my go-to parts place. I love their website and videos, not to mention free shipping in most cases. I know they build that into the price, but as much as I like NPD they charge ridiculous shipping on small(er) items. They only make sense if I'm ordering multiple items or big ones.
CJ also gives you points for items bought that can reduce the cost of future items. All said, I'm still happy with them.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.