Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Offer advice

654 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Davegonewild 
#1 ·
#2 ·
yes the price is high, and in all cases I've experienced, classics at a dealership is always high. BUT, depending upon the restoration, the price may not be to far out of line. That's a nice car so I'd take a flexible magnet along with you and ask the dealer if you can try the body in a few locations to see if its metal or bondo. I always ALWAYS do this and have never had a problem. Next, I'd look high and low for any issues with the body. take it for a ride and check out everything related to the drive train. Check the tires for dry rot and most importantly check the fluids. I'd start out with a much lower price and by no means tell the dealer you have a trade in before you negotiate the price down. To finally answer your question, I'd check around on the "reliable" internet and see what they're selling for. Good luck, keep us posted.

#4 ·
IMO, If that car is as solid as advertised, I don't think it's really all that high. Like others have said, bring a magnet and spend some time looking it over, but if it's what you want don't walk over a thousand or two. Those cars are not easy to find that are truly solid.

I really doubt you could build one for that price.

#5 ·
I think it is close to a fair price considering what it takes to make these cars look this good but I would still try to negotiate. It looks clean and well put together. I would want to see the undercarriage as most people neglect this area of the car. I still think you can get some at auction and on ebay for cheaper.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the white on the seats or the steering wheel but the rest of the pictures look great. Take a good look at that undercarriage though. Make sure the car doesn't overheat and run it at highway speeds during the test drive.

#7 ·
It looks flashy, but I would have some concerns.

Front valance appears bent.
Funky Shift knob
Junky steering wheel
Rally pac early 65 on a GT 5 gage cluster, while correct for a few, not correct for the interior. Should be a red later model rally pac. It looks just added on.
65 dash pad on 5 gage cluster.
After market radio
Cheapo aftermarket valve covers
can't tell what is sticking out from under the car, left rear by exhaust trumpet.

Reading the promo, everything was added, 4 barrel, GT package, disk brakes, etc.

So this was most likely a plain C code, with all the bells and whistles added to make it look flashy. I doubt the mileage is correct, with the engine needing rebuild at 34K. Maybe 134K or 234K, or who knows what based on maybe the instrument cluster was changed out and they are using that mileage.

That being said, it "looks" nice, and for people that are not concerned with details or originality, it will be a sale to someone.

An independent appraiser can easily be a brother in law who does not know ANYTHING but is happy to say whatever for $50.

#8 ·
Its looks like your basic overdressed near stock resto. Only a few K overpriced if its exactly what you want. Good chance you could take a lesser car(or a better car but less atrractive) and make it better than that particular one 4the$, one more perfect for you could be had.
Lots of parts listed as "new" but nothing special i see noted. More of a looker than a driver as described.
Listed as private seller but no mention if they restoed it or how long they owned/drove it. Lots of stuff left out between the lines, pictures of original might be valuable "car needed resto @34K miles?" doesnt sound like a Cali car, ASK. Feels like a long term flipper, someone took a solid car and threw the re-sell red and parts catalog at it over a number of years.

How to knock the price== DONT SAY IF YOU LOVE IT OUT LOUD! or Ive been wanting one for xxx. Find plenty of local comparables to mention even if they arent for you.
Arrive early to start it from cold make ugly faces with every hiccup or sputter or squeak. Walk around the car and touch every flaw nick or scratch, if there are 4 or 40 count them out loud so the seller hears. Expect flaws with miles. Or wonder ASK why it hasnt been driven much. Whince and ask about rear emblem then and wonder how much that will cost to remove. Count the cracks in those tires that are at least 10 years old I think, Find the 4 digit DOT year number then wonder out loud if they are even safe @60 & what a set of fresh tires will cost. While sitting grab the wheel and say thats not right its too small and wonder what that will cost to replace. :grin2: etc.
That price would warrant a long flawless test drive and time on a rack looking for weeps and leaks immediately after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.