Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Parts vendors, why do you do this?

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  22GT 
#1 ·
Why is it that I can buy every single part for a fastback fold down seat except for the hinges. To get those, I have to buy an $1100+ complete kit. All I want are the hinges? It doesn't make sense.

#4 ·
Ayyeee, that is Fast Freddie of mustang masters. Be careful in your dealing with him. Some have had great experiences and some bad. Just do your home work first. BTW, he overprices his parts... a lot. Do a search on here first.

Freddy Sleffel

Owner

Mustang Masters

#5 ·
Are you looking for a set of hinges for a '69-70 like in the link above? If so, I am pretty positive they are the same hinge that is used on a non-fold down seat. In that application they are just used to mount the bottom of the seat at the correct angle. I might have a set if you are interested.

#6 ·
T kind of thing frustrates me too... I still cannot find the two end pieces for the early 65 fastback back seat trim moldings. They make the center splice piece for the back, but not the piece at each door?? Good luck in your search!

I met Freddy at the MCA National in St. Augustine last year. He was a nice guy but gwstang is completely right... the parts he had for sale at the show were overpriced and lots of them were in terrible condition.

#16 ·
T kind of thing frustrates me too... I still cannot find the two end pieces for the early 65 fastback back seat trim moldings. They make the center splice piece for the back, but not the piece at each door?
Those small end pieces were used for maybe a few minutes at the very beginning of fastback production. They will never be reproduced. Minimum run for repro parts is usually 500 units. That would probably be more sets than Ford originally used. Most likely, you'll have to make them.

#7 ·
Jonathan,
For an unbelievable and useful amount of information on anything you'd ever want to know about "Fold-Down Rear Seats" for Mustangs, check out the following site. It gives tips on what you might need and also, what you might be able to use from your present collection of parts. Good luck!
Index

Reactions: kenash
#15 ·
It's good to see one of Sam Griffith's contributions to the Mustang hobby surfacing one more time. For those who never had the chance to connect with Sam on the forum, he was KIA almost 6 years ago. His memory lives on.

Reactions: FE1967GT
#8 ·
One of my hinges is bent. I am pretty sure I can straighten it, but I wasn't even able to shop around for a replacement. It just seems odd that the hinges are reproduced, they're available in the complete fold down seats that are being sold by all of the Mustang repro parts vendors, but not a single one of them will sell just the hinges. Want the part, buy a bunch of stuff you don't need for a lot of money that you now can't spend on other things.

#14 · (Edited)
I had the same problem with the seat track plastic side clips. I could not find them anywhere, but they sell new seat tracks. I had read the tracks are hit or miss so I wanted to rebuild my OEM ones but they were missing a few of the plastic clips. It's not possible to just package them together?

I ended up buying a cheap used set at an autofair with good clips and used the plastic clips to rebuild mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.