15" wood grain gt350 style scott drake repro wheel opinions - Vintage Mustang Forums

5Likes
  • 1 Post By schweigert
  • 2 Post By gt350sr
  • 2 Post By schweigert

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

15" wood grain gt350 style scott drake repro wheel opinions

I wanted a better looking steering wheel.

I had a 13.5" generic rubbery grip wheel and was not a fan. thought the "grip" thickness of the wheel was too small (compared to a modern cars wheel).

So i did my research and learn a 14-15" wheel is best (15" if you have no power steering) and i liked the "lecarra / moto lita gt350" look
I wanted black (not chrome) but couldn't find one, so decided I could just paint it.

Ordered one off mustangs only with the hub (didn't know it was the scott drake one, and they only had 15" wheels in the gt350 style I wanted), since I have a tilt wheel i knew my signal cancel wouldn't work, but thats ok.
I install it and lets just say I'm glad I have the tilt wheel... wouldn't be able to sit down without it (didnt need to use the tilt with my old wheel)

first thoughts --- the wood trim is.. very .. meh.
its also not as thick as my previous one! thats a major bummer. however it is significantly easier to steer overall with the larger diameter (doesn't feel as sporty though)

I would definitely paint the chrome black if I decide to keep it... does not match the car at all.

Huntingky likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:45 PM

Looks like a LeCarra and I don't like mine either.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 43 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 PM

Garage
I was fortunate enough to find a Shelby wheel in a fastback I bought several years ago. Bought the car for $7,000, robbed the steering wheel and replaced it with a color matched stocker, cleaned up the car, and sold it a month later for @ $12,000. The wheel is now in my GT350 clone and I love it . Bummer yours isn't what you wanted..
Huntingky and 4ocious like this.

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
If it were me, I would go right for the real thing. They will do whatever options you like. Powdercoated, dark wood, thicker rim, etc etc. And honestly the price isn't even that bad. Plus then you have the "real thing" and it's exactly how ya want it.

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wheels/

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSterling966 View Post
If it were me, I would go right for the real thing. They will do whatever options you like. Powdercoated, dark wood, thicker rim, etc etc. And honestly the price isn't even that bad. Plus then you have the "real thing" and it's exactly how ya want it.

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wheels/

arg... yeah im kicking myself.

I almost bought from moto lita... like.. three times I had everything in my cart - but didn't realize the difference in quality (since everything looks the same in the thumbnails) and was trying to save a buck so I went local.
When will i learn?

I didn't realize they powdercoated them too! I wonder if the coupler is the same bolt pattern?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
I believe they only have 2 different couplers. One is a 12 and one is a 6 or something like that. So it looks like you got the 12.

A buddy of mine just got one from the for his land rover, speck-ed it all out how he wanted it. Looks sick.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

now i gotta modify the tiny cancel cams on the hub to be taller so they'll engage the signal cancel clips

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

well... i sanded and painted it. probably wont last very long. im reading also the varnish on the "wood" part tends to wear off too.ill get a legit moto-lita once that starts

msh-r and gus91326 like this.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM

You could always sand down the wood and stain it again with a slightly darker color
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:35 AM

That's what I'd do. The wood itself looks good on the wheel you have. When you feel up to it, I'd strip the entire wheel, scuff the metal you want to paint black very well, dye the wood directly the color of your choice, stain if you want the grain to contrast the base color any more, and go over the wheel (just rim as originally done or entire thing if you want) with lacquer.

Keep in mind the color, finish, any unevenness in wood layers, etc all will be improved once you strip and sand it. I'd say go for a Moto Lita if you want to leave it as-is, but I think it would be a waste to buy one only to modify it. And I'm all for Moto Litas if wanting an original looking wheel to '65 GT350s and Cobras with the six bolt hub (not many others reproduce them), but for your '69 you'll want the larger hub style anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page