Side exhaust? - Vintage Mustang Forums

14Likes

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Side exhaust?

So after a long hiatus from working on my Mustang, I'm looking into some new projects. One being side exhaust. I'm just wondering what you all feel about them. I have duals with Flowmasters now but the muffler shop did a crappy job with the bends in the back so I was thinking about a side dump to be able to put in a rear sway bar I've had for years. The current exhaust is about a 1/2" in the way of that. I've seen side dump mufflers that have in and out on the same side and just bend it just around the side of the muffler body to dump out the side. Does anyone think that is a good idea? Would there be any sound/heat issues so close to the cabin? I know I could do a straight pipe side exhaust but I think that would probably be too loud. Also I could still run them out the back but would want the sway bar to be accessible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:07 PM

I don't have any experience with side dump exhaust on a mustang, but I think you'd be fine. Your concern is mostly the exhaust fumes coming in the cabin while you're stopped at a light, I suppose.

I bet there wouldn't be a problem if you have it exit the side at a 45-degree angle instead of a 90-degree. I suppose that would direct the flow rear-side instead of to the side only.

I'd make sure you're as close as you can get to the rear wheel well opening too.

I've see it done on trucks, but that's a larger vehicle. These mustangs are very compact, so I'd take extra care like you are.

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:05 PM

The exhaust tips need to be aft of the window openings to be legal and safe. For a coupe you leave the window up and remove the handle so its non-op.
Ive seen the box type mufflers that makes the flow reverse 180* to exit, most elawhores have them. surely they have some flow engineering built in it shouldnt be much worse than the turns of going around the axles and out...I have read that even simple turndowns hurt flow enough to measure.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:21 PM

A long time ago, I created a side exhaust for my '65 GT350 Convertible Clone. It was a lot of work to make and I still need to clean up the welds but I love it. I had them exit right in front of the rear tires in the closest manner as to how the original Shelby's had them.

The originals had a lot more room under the chassis so they just did one bend of the tube. I used Flowmaster mufflers that were short enough and thick enough to tuck into the space right after the seat boxes. I had to cut and weld a few pieces of pre-bent 90 and 45 deg tubing together to get the right angles. It also had to clear subframe connectors but I angled it to fit. I can maybe get some pictures if you'd like.

I think it looks perfect outside the car and I'm going to cut the mufflers portions off and weld in tabs so it's easier to assemble/disassemble.

I have not had any issues with exhaust fumes (that I know of), the tips are about a couple inches beyond the edge of the body and flush with the sides of the tires about an inch or so away. My car is a convertible but I've driven it with the top up more often than down. One thing I will say, they are louder for neighbors when you drive by...but I'll leave that up to others to decide if that's good or bad.

I would definitely do it again, I'm most likely going to get a panhard rod and it's nice to not have to worry about exhaust interference.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:48 PM

Garage
I recently installed JBA's side exit exhaust. I like it so far!

https://youtu.be/XDVBgsbjZmM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side 1.JPG (45.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Side 2.JPG (54.1 KB, 75 views)

'66 Coupe: GT40 5.0: 600 Edelbrock & AirGap: JBA shorties: AOD w/TCI shiftkit: Granada Disks: R&P steering: 3.55 Currie

Last edited by RestoMike66; 06-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'd want them as far away from the window and cabin as possible.

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustmatt View Post
I don't have any experience with side dump exhaust on a mustang, but I think you'd be fine. Your concern is mostly the exhaust fumes coming in the cabin while you're stopped at a light, I suppose.

I bet there wouldn't be a problem if you have it exit the side at a 45-degree angle instead of a 90-degree. I suppose that would direct the flow rear-side instead of to the side only.

I'd make sure you're as close as you can get to the rear wheel well opening too.

I've see it done on trucks, but that's a larger vehicle. These mustangs are very compact, so I'd take extra care like you are.
This is what I'm suggesting.

Check out the bottom example and see how the bend is more 45-degrees instead of a 90-degree...this kind of detail would only be thought of by an experienced muffler shop!

Israel likes this.

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:03 PM

Side exhausts equals hearing problems down the road.
Huntingky likes this.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, MCA Red Grille Medallion, 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award Driven class
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtill58513 View Post
So after a long hiatus from working on my Mustang, I'm looking into some new projects. One being side exhaust. I'm just wondering what you all feel about them. I have duals with Flowmasters now but the muffler shop did a crappy job with the bends in the back so I was thinking about a side dump to be able to put in a rear sway bar I've had for years. The current exhaust is about a 1/2" in the way of that. I've seen side dump mufflers that have in and out on the same side and just bend it just around the side of the muffler body to dump out the side. Does anyone think that is a good idea? Would there be any sound/heat issues so close to the cabin? I know I could do a straight pipe side exhaust but I think that would probably be too loud. Also I could still run them out the back but would want the sway bar to be accessible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have side exit exhaust on my 65 fastback with Spintech mufflers and love the sound. It's a weekend car, definitely not a daily driver and it doesn't get too obnoxious or anything unless you drive it for hours on the freeway at 70mph with the windows down. Do you like the sound of the Flowmaster mufflers? Is your car set up for any autocross or competitive racing or have you done a bunch of suspension work to it or is it more like a daily driver? If it's more like a daily driver why do you even need a rear sway bar? I've got a 65 fastback with 450hp from a 351w... I upgraded the whole suspension to new parts and ended up taking the rear bar off at the suggestion of Mike Maier to see how I liked it compared to when it was on the car. I took mine off and like it better without. Classic mustangs are light in the rear and because of that if you install a rear sway bar you can have a condition called snap oversteer. Basically if you have a rear sway bar installed and are going into a corner or turn you'll be going just fine and then without warning you can spin out, wind up in a ditch or hit a minivan with a family of 4 in it. Personally if it were me, I'd just leave the bar off and leave the exhaust as is instead of spending more money on the side exit exhaust. Another issue with side exit exhaust is frame rails, if you have the full length frame rails or chassis stiffeners I believe they interfere with the side exhaust.

If you're really wanting to do the side exit exhaust, there are several brands that make mufflers with the inlet/outlet on the same side so that you can do this. JBA, Spintech, Flowmaster, Magnaflow and I think a few others. Here are some of the options you have for side exit mufflers, like I said, I used the Spintech mufflers and love them. I'll attach a sound clip of my car with them on. Any other questions, let us know.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/jba-exhau...-1970/p/CBJ11/

180 Series Muffler

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-52580

1967 - 1968 Mustang Eleanor Mustang Magnaflow Stainless Steel Muffler

1965 Shelby GT-350 Clone, 351w 450hp/tq, TFS 185cc Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock Air Gap Intake, 650cfm Holley Ultra Double Pumper, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, T-5, 4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes, Shelby 1" drop, Bilstein Sport Valved Shocks, Maier Racing 620 coils, Moog UCA's/LCA's, Adjustable Strut Rods, Opentracker Roller Spring Perches, Competition Crossmember, 1 1/8" Front Sway Bar, Maier Racing 4.5 Mid-Eye Leaf Springs, 9" Ford 3.50 Trac Lock, 3" Shelby Side Exhaust, 17" Foose Wheels.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM

My '65 FB side exhaust. The guy that helped me with the metalwork molded them up into the rocker panel and torque box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1581.jpg (87.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1582.jpg (86.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1551.jpg (93.8 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by awhtx; 06-17-2017 at 05:11 PM.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok. To answer some questions mine may at most be a racing clone. It won't be raced but I like the look. At least that's one option I'm going with. It will just be a fun weekend car, not a daily driver. I got the rear sway bar years ago with a handling kit. I just though that it may stiffen it up a little more. All suspension is set to stock setup except for a pair of lowering springs up front and a bigger front sway bar, a Monte Carlo bar, along with subframe connectors, which could provide some clearance issues I guess. I may just end up getting the back tubes redone and skip the rear sway bar, or get it put in afterward and see how I like it. Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited by mtill58513; 06-17-2017 at 05:18 PM.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtill58513 View Post
Ok. To answer some questions mine may at most be a racing clone. It won't be raced but I like the look. At least that's one option I'm going with. It will just be a fun weekend car, not a daily driver. I got the rear sway bar years ago with a handling kit. I just though that it may stiffen it up a little more. All suspension is set to stock setup except for a pair of lowering springs up front and a bigger front sway bar, a Monte Carlo bar, along with subframe connectors, which could provide some clearance issues I guess. I may just end up getting the back tubes redone and skip the rear sway bar, or get it put in afterward and see how I like it. Thanks for all the feedback.
With your suspension being closer to stock, I'd skip the side exhaust. Side exhaust looks and sounds pretty awesome but I'm betting you'll have clearance issues with your subframe connectors and you'll just be spending more money on the specialized mufflers, especially with it just being a weekend car. If I were you, I'd skip on the rear sway bar, go to a more competent/qualified exhaust shop and just have them connect the rest of the exhaust out the back of the car. I think that would be the cheapest and easiest route. If you had a much more modified suspension, were racing the car every weekend and needed every last bit of performance then you might see some difference with the rear sway bar. In your case though, I don't think you need it and if you did add it, I don't think you'd notice any difference.

1965 Shelby GT-350 Clone, 351w 450hp/tq, TFS 185cc Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock Air Gap Intake, 650cfm Holley Ultra Double Pumper, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, T-5, 4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes, Shelby 1" drop, Bilstein Sport Valved Shocks, Maier Racing 620 coils, Moog UCA's/LCA's, Adjustable Strut Rods, Opentracker Roller Spring Perches, Competition Crossmember, 1 1/8" Front Sway Bar, Maier Racing 4.5 Mid-Eye Leaf Springs, 9" Ford 3.50 Trac Lock, 3" Shelby Side Exhaust, 17" Foose Wheels.

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:08 PM

I want the MTF side exhaust, but cutting into my torque boxes right were my subframe connectors mount isnt imo a great idea. To me, if it's just the pipe sticking out below the rocker it looks terrible and like an afterthought.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Scott
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
I want the MTF side exhaust, but cutting into my torque boxes right were my subframe connectors mount isnt imo a great idea. To me, if it's just the pipe sticking out below the rocker it looks terrible and like an afterthought.

They make a set that goes under the torque box I'm pretty sure. He has pictures showing the pipes going under and around a couple different subframe connectors.

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
They make a set that goes under the torque box I'm pretty sure. He has pictures showing the pipes going under and around a couple different subframe connectors.
You're right they do make a lower and a higher version. I should have made it clear that the version I want goes through the torque box.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page