Rear axle noise after putting in new wheel bearings - Vintage Mustang Forums

17Likes

post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Rear axle noise after putting in new wheel bearings

Hello all,

Follow-up thread from my other thread (Odd growling sound...) now that I am getting back on it.

I found that I had killed the left rear wheel bearing in my 1956 Ford Big Bearing 9" rear end with 28 spline axles and open differential.

I replaced both wheel bearings with SKF 88128-RA. They were $78 each and made in the USA. The retainer rings were a lot beefier than my old retaining rings, so the guy who pressed them on reused my old retainer rings in case the fatter ones wouldnt fit in the axle tube.

I now have this sound when I spin the axle:

Previously there was no whirring sound from the right bearing (which was the good one), so I know that this is not the differential. It is a noise coming from the bearings.

The question is - is this okay? Or is there something wrong with the bearing or did it get pressed on wrong or something? I am suspicious that there is a noise now when there wasn't one before.

If it is any help, previously when I spun one axle, it would spin the driveshaft. It now does not do so. However, spinning the driveshaft spins both the axles.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:36 AM

Garage
You sure you have gear oil? That sounds like gears meshing without any lubricant.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Well, I did the last time I checked before I pulled the axles... unplugged the differential fill port and it dribbled gear oil all over the floor so I assume it to be full

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:49 AM

I think that sounds like the pinion gears, not saying they're bad, but I would also say check the fluid level. If you want to rule out the bearing take the axle back out and see how the bearing feels when you spin it by hand, you'd definitely be able to feel if the bearing was no good if it was the cause of that noise. If you have someone hold the opposite tire/axle and spin an axle you should see the driveshaft move again. With both freewheeling not so much.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, Legend 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, maybe it is just mad after a week and a half of sitting and letting the gear oil pool to the bottom? That's the only reason I could think of that it wouldn't have gear oil now when it did before.

I pulled one axle and the bearing spins freely for the most part, but does have a slight "catch" in it every once in a while. It's not at any one specific spot. Not sure what that means exactly.

Edit: Remembered that I got this noise when I initially put the axles + new bearings in, which was only 1 day after I pulled them out, not a week and a half. 1 day of sitting seems unlikely to cause the gears to "dry out" like this...

Last edited by Kelly_H; 06-18-2017 at 01:54 AM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Pulled the other axle and the bearing is smooth as butter. Nothing wrong with that one though it still makes the same noise when turning it (even without the other axle in).

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
The retainer rings were a lot beefier than my old retaining rings, so the guy who pressed them on reused my old retainer rings in case the fatter ones wouldnt fit in the axle tube.
I wouldn't have thought it was safe to re-use a bearing retainer since it's an interference fit.
supershifter2 and bacchus203 like this.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:33 AM

The retainers would not have anything to do with the noise since they don't touch anything that turns nor do they turn themselves. The only thing they touch is the inner bearing race and it better not be turning ON the axle but rather WITH the axle. And the same for the retainer.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
"I pulled one axle and the bearing spins freely for the most part, but does have a slight "catch" in it every once in a while. It's not at any one specific spot. Not sure what that means exactly."
That sounds like a bad bearing, they are supposed to spin smoothly, especially of they are out of the car with no weight on them

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
I wouldn't have thought it was safe to re-use a bearing retainer since it's an interference fit.
X 2 .Agreed it won't be the cause of noise ,but reusing them is a bit like playing Russian roulette
http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/bearings/rearbear.html
zray, bacchus203 and gt350sr like this.

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM

Since its an open diff I would get a buddy to keep that side from moving and spin the other side. That will rule out or in a problem in the diff. Could be a bad new bearing or damage from the install. Make sure you feel good about the retainer siituation, literally last week i saw an old ford truck with the drivers side rear wheel 2 feet outside the fenderwell with the shaft cantilevered holding the rear of the truck up - abandoned on the side of the road.

Good luck - my clutch install is turning into a similar battle, should have been quick and easy - hang in there, keep telling yourself it's worth it even when it feels otherwise...

M
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 AM

If you have both axles out I would spin the yoke and see if there is a noise similar to what you're hearing. I'm a little concerned when you said the bearing had a little bit of a catch or rough spot when spun. It should spin free.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 AM

I can't add much, but I didn't like reading in the previous thread that the axle had to be hammered in. May be nothing, but worth considering.

Z
kenash likes this.

Last edited by zray; 06-18-2017 at 10:27 AM.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
I can't add much, but I didn't like reading in the previous thread that the axle had to be hammered in. Maybe be nothing, but worth considering.

Z

I missed that but that brings up a interesting question. Was the housing bent in the rear end collision? That would cause the bearings to wear and I think make it hard to get the axle back in.
rpm likes this.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM

You could have someone spin the axle while you use an automotive stethoscope or screwdriver to the ear at the axle housing ends and center section to try to pinpoint where the noise is the most pronounced.

67 Shelby Clone
2008 Shelby Convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page