Many Thanks to Huskinhano - Vintage Mustang Forums

14Likes
  • 11 Post By Boxhead
  • 2 Post By 2nd 66
  • 1 Post By 66conv6

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
Many Thanks to Huskinhano

He convinced me to perform my own alignment after installing my SoT coil over system with their strut rods, new Moog stuff and Power Steering Services quick ratio rebuild on my steering box and pump (a Q Code factory four speed '73 Mach 1). I bought a camber/caster kit from Tenhulzen that was easy to use. All suppliers have been an absolute pleasure to work with so I can highly recommend each. Prior to this I really was about clueless on alignments. Now my 18 year old son and I know it well... Here's where we finished. The car drives really well. Tight and predictable. A happy camper here.

Driver Side

Camber : .50
Caster : 4.7

Passenger Side

Camber : .45
Caster : 4.9

Toe In : 1/8"

A quick drive on one of our Hill Country roads was pure pleasure. Return to center was spot on and the tight ratio was a joy. The Bilstein's did every thing I read that my KYB's didn't. Bottom line is that I can highly recommend every supplier I used.
Huskinhano, 66conv6, zray and 8 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:08 PM

This guy is trying to put me out of business with all his great advice on telling people they can do their own alignments.Keep up the good work Tom and happy fathers day
Huskinhano and rbohm like this.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:21 AM

The 71-73 mustang uses the Saginaw box that the stock car guys used until about 10 years ago. I had a 14:1 in my 66 wagon I got from Sweet in the 90's. About 10 years ago Nascar went to the front steer cars and they use a different box. There should be a ton of those rear steer boxes out there for cheap. The had 10:,12:1,14:1,16:1,21:1 ratios. The steering effort can be changed. If I had a 71-73 I would look for a 14:1 box and put in it.

supershifter2 < !

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Garage
Boxhead, do you have a link & part # for the kit?.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
This guy is trying to put me out of business with all his great advice on telling people they can do their own alignments.Keep up the good work Tom and happy fathers day
And a happy Father's day to you too sir! I spent my day of leisure mowing 2 acres and pruning a bunch of pine trees blocking a gorgeous view. I hate pine trees!

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
He convinced me to perform my own alignment after installing my SoT coil over system with their strut rods, new Moog stuff and Power Steering Services quick ratio rebuild on my steering box and pump (a Q Code factory four speed '73 Mach 1). I bought a camber/caster kit from Tenhulzen that was easy to use. All suppliers have been an absolute pleasure to work with so I can highly recommend each. Prior to this I really was about clueless on alignments. Now my 18 year old son and I know it well... Here's where we finished. The car drives really well. Tight and predictable. A happy camper here.

Driver Side

Camber : .50
Caster : 4.7

Passenger Side

Camber : .45
Caster : 4.9

Toe In : 1/8"

A quick drive on one of our Hill Country roads was pure pleasure. Return to center was spot on and the tight ratio was a joy. The Bilstein's did every thing I read that my KYB's didn't. Bottom line is that I can highly recommend every supplier I used.

Thank you! happy Fathers day. I was only going to install SoT upper arms and struts at the time as I believed my stock lower arms which were Ford service replacements were in good shape. I was going to send my car out like everyone else since that's what you do. Then I was beginning to have thoughts of local shops either refusing to touch the car or not having a clue what to do, pull everything apart, screw it up and charge me a ton. Believe me, I don't have a lot of extra money to waste. With all of this I sat to think, I just did all this work, why can't I do an alignment? Why not? So I bought the gauge, read the shop manual and followed the instructions with the gauge along with a little common sense. I'll be honest, I was scared sh*tless when I drove my car out of the garage. I drove about 20 MPH down the middle of the road waiting for the car to steer me into the first tree it saw. But non of that. The steering wheel was dead center, it went dead straight, didn't do anything funny and felt great. It was just meant to be a quicky alignment but I ended up leaving it alone for a year. So this is why I get up on my soap box, it's something that you CAN do! I have another soap box if interested.

Oh I forgot to say it was a good thing I did buy the gauge. That's how I found out my lower arm bushings were totally wasted. If I had sent the car out with the old arms, the car would have never, ever drove how it should and I wouldn't have known any better. I bought Sot lower arms and installed them to finish up.

Tom

Last edited by Huskinhano; 06-19-2017 at 04:44 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post

Oh I forgot to say it was a good thing I did buy the gauge.
Do you have a link for that gauge?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
Do you have a link for that gauge?
This is the very one I bought. It's just a rebadged Longacre gauge. One reason why I like this one is the 140* angle on the end. You need 2, 20* angles when determining caster. You draw a line parallel to the tire then sight the sides up to the line. I think it's easier then laying out the two lines on the floor and getting the car lined up or fighting the tire. There is also brands like Fasttrax which is a little different. It mounts on the wheel, not the hub. You just have to make sure the wheel runs true and the gauge won't hit the body. The one I use mounts magnetically on the hub which is always going to be true. The bottom line you have to buy what you'll be comfortable using. Here's a post I did a while back.

Setting caster & camber

The gauge I bought. It comes with easy to read and use instructions. Believe me, it's easy.

Caster Camber Gauge BILLET w 6 pack Shims FREE UPS

Tom

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Ahh...Huskinhano got me to do that wheel alignment too using that $115 gauge.

After over 15 wheel alignments at Sears on their "lifetime" deal I gave up. They would screw things up like give me back my car with the steering wheel off-center and then tried to remove the steering wheel to re-position. I did stop them. Then once I came in for a wheel alignment after putting new front (Monroe-matic) shocks minutes earlier and they told me I needed new front shocks. Done with that!

I followed Huskinano's write-up to set caster, camber and toe-in. Took me two full afternoon's to dial it in. Buy a body shim kit at Harbor Freight Tools. I have 0 camber, +2 caster, and 1/8 toe-in on my six cylinder convertible. Drive's like a dream.

If you can rebuild your front suspension you can do your own alignment.

I remember someone here said that laser alignment machines are a very precise way of doing an imprecise measurement and the bubble gauge is accurate to within like a 1/4 degree which is plenty accurate.
Huskinhano likes this.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66conv6 View Post

If you can rebuild your front suspension you can do your own alignment.
And that's exactly it! Well said.

Tom

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
there are enough people out there that cant do their own alignment work, so they will still come to you.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there are enough people out there that cant do their own alignment work, so they will still come to you.
To be honest in some ways I think it would be easier to do an alignment at home working at your leisure on these cars than at the shop trying to get it done ASAP for a customer and trying to make rate at the same time.I did my own alignment after doing the UCA drop at the shop I work at and to make things easier with playing with shims and adjusting the camber I left the fenders off the car.Still I only had a certain amount of time available to get done and felt a bit rushed

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Thank you! happy Fathers day. I was only going to install SoT upper arms and struts at the time as I believed my stock lower arms which were Ford service replacements were in good shape. I was going to send my car out like everyone else since that's what you do. Then I was beginning to have thoughts of local shops either refusing to touch the car or not having a clue what to do, pull everything apart, screw it up and charge me a ton. Believe me, I don't have a lot of extra money to waste. With all of this I sat to think, I just did all this work, why can't I do an alignment? Why not? So I bought the gauge, read the shop manual and followed the instructions with the gauge along with a little common sense. I'll be honest, I was scared sh*tless when I drove my car out of the garage. I drove about 20 MPH down the middle of the road waiting for the car to steer me into the first tree it saw. But non of that. The steering wheel was dead center, it went dead straight, didn't do anything funny and felt great. It was just meant to be a quicky alignment but I ended up leaving it alone for a year. So this is why I get up on my soap box, it's something that you CAN do! I have another soap box if interested.

Oh I forgot to say it was a good thing I did buy the gauge. That's how I found out my lower arm bushings were totally wasted. If I had sent the car out with the old arms, the car would have never, ever drove how it should and I wouldn't have known any better. I bought Sot lower arms and installed them to finish up.
I had precisely the same feeling when I took my car out for its maiden voyage. Needless concern as well.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

I used this one from Tenhulzen. By the way, I am in the outskirts of San Antonio with a lift so if someone wants to play let me know. I also have the Shelby drop plate from the SoT kit that I did not use (not required in 71 -73's).

https://www.tenhulzenautomotive.com/...e-camber-gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page