Hagerty Classic Car Insurance - Vintage Mustang Forums

5Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Hagerty Classic Car Insurance

Does anyone have any good or bad dealings with Hagertys Classic Car Insurance? They are a lot less expensive so much that im questioning if they are good or Not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 AM

less expensive than what ? most people here complain that they are high .

I've been using them for 20+ years. a couple of medium size claims that were handled with my interests well taken care of.

if you would do a search of the forum you will find numerous postings about them.

Z

PS they don't insure daily drivers, or classics used for commuting to work.
Blues Power likes this.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:24 AM

Garage
My dad and I had a plan together for both of our cars though we never had any claims with them. Then they told us that all four members of my family had to have their own daily driver vehicle so that you couldn't use your classic as one, I guess? Anyway, we told them that my parents commuted together everyday to work as they work a few blocks from one another and that worked for one year. The second, they said everyone has to have their own separate vehicle. We switched over to Progressive and it was considerably less money and they don't have a limit of how many miles you can put on the car per year or that you can only drive it back and forth to a car show like haggerty made you do. I'd check out some other places, I'm sure you could find a cheaper, better policy elsewhere.

1965 Shelby GT-350 Clone, 351w 450hp/tq, TFS 185cc Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock Air Gap Intake, 650cfm Holley Ultra Double Pumper, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, T-5, 4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes, Shelby 1" drop, Bilstein Sport Valved Shocks, Maier Racing 620 coils, Moog UCA's/LCA's, Adjustable Strut Rods, Opentracker Roller Spring Perches, Competition Crossmember, 1 1/8" Front Sway Bar, Maier Racing 4.5 Mid-Eye Leaf Springs, 9" Ford 3.50 Trac Lock, 3" Shelby Side Exhaust, 17" Foose Wheels.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:55 AM

Last month my 1970 Corvette was involved in a accident. We were all going to a car show and I parked away from the crowd to avoid any incident's. A gentleman drove out of the shop and parked his 1965 newly restored truck about 20 feet away, up from the Corvette and left it running. It slipped in reverse and made a perfect arc right into the quarter panel of the Vette. A pure fluke of an accident. I won't go into the panic and the crunching of fiberglass of the whole matter.

He called Hagerty Monday morning. I got a message on my phone at 2:00 Pm that afternoon explaining my option's. Wednesday I got an estimate and I e-mailed a picture of the estimate to Hagerty that evening. An hour later Hagerty e-mailed me to say that they approved the estimate ($4000) and that the check would be at my door within 10 Day's. The next Monday I had the check in my hand. I was so impressed with their service, I wrote to the agent and told him Thank You for the unbelievable service and the fast response. A+.

In my business there are "NO" Insurance company's at this point that I would give the time of Day to. Except now...... Hagerty.

Do consider them.
Woodchuck likes this.

"Oklahoma Street Machines"

Last edited by Marty65; 06-19-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Hagerty Insurance

Thanks for all of your input its greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 AM

I have been with Hagerty for 2 years now but I have yet to make a claim.

There price was the best out there at the time.

The plan is reasonable as I am able to bring it to work 2 times per month and can use it for pleasure driving. I am limited to 5000 km's per year.

The only problem I have is that my daughter cannot drive it as the plan states that you must have 10 years driving experience.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 AM

I have had them for a few years I once used their towing service twice in 3 months (not my proudest moments) but they were like "no problem it happens". They kept me updated constantly on the wrecker's ETA and even called another one out, when the wrecker they originally called was running late or taking their sweet a$$ time. Who does that Hagerty does!!
zray likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 AM

I called and talked with several insurance companies including Hagerty. I gave them specific scenarios... for example, running to the grocery store to pickup something for the wife, could I take the car? Could I take the car on a nice day to work, etc, etc. Anyways Hagerty said no to all of the above except for the car show or 'pleasure' drive as they put it. They also required the car to be garaged and not my primary vehicle which is typical. I encourage everyone to talk with the insurance companies and present real scenarios in which you would want to drive the car. Also be sure to read the insurance contract. Mine specifically has the 'no drive to work' clause stricken out but a typical classic car insurance contract would include it.

david

69 Winter Blue 302 Fastback w/ Original Paint

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Garage
i had them for decades, they are expensive but they also have an excellent reputation.

I switched over to another carrier and saved a few hundred a year for the same coverage.

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti says 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the powertrain 351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 AM

it would be nice to hear from VMF'ers who've actually have had to file claims.

How an insurance company handles claims, in general, and specifically with disputes with the adjuster the company has hired, is the best evaluation I know of that shows the "true cost" of the insurance.

Fortunately Ive never had to file for a total loss. Thankfully, as the two claims I have had to file were traumatic enough. Both of my claims were in the $6,000 to $12,000 range. And with both of them the adjustor and I did not see eye to eye with regard to the replacement parts being authorized. When I presented my case to Hagerty they decided both times in my favor.

Rightly, or wrongly, I'm calling that being loyal to the customer. Which is a commodity sadly lacking in the business world today. Subsequent to the claims, I was additionally surprised to learn my rates did not increase. Whatever price difference there is, or isn't, between Hagerty and the other companies, it would have to become pretty steep before I would consider going with someone else.

Hagerty was loyal to me when the chips were down, and I'm returning the favor.

Z
Woodchuck likes this.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM

I have Hagerty plus. Never had a real claim but we use their Roadside service like its going out of business. We have like 9 cars and 7 of them are daily drivers and one of them always has a flat or dead battery and they have a no questions asked policy about it as only my classic cars are insured by them but they cover all my cars.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 AM

I've never filed a auto insurance claim. I was a Hagerty customer for years and then switched to NCM Insurance which resells American Modern insurance. I've contacted both organizations several times with questions on the policy and found them very easy to work with. Since you're shopping insurance I would add them to your list of companies to call. NCM Insurance | Corvette Insurance | Collector Vehicle Insurance | HPDE Insurance | About Us
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:42 AM

I have had Hagerty for 15 years on 6 of my collector cars. Zero issues with them.

Four of my cars are garage/trailer queens and never driven on public roads, Hagerty stepped up to the plate and offered fire theft & compressive (removed collision) policy saving me a lot of money.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to coolblue65
I use Hagerty as well, much cheaper then the big insurers but I don't know how they compare to other classic insurers, also I never had a claim so it's hard to say anything beyond that.

Although my impressions from talking to them are a bit different then Moodster, they seemed rather loose on the term 'pleasure drive' and what that could mean and by no means did I get the impression I would have any restrictions on my driving (besides the obvious no daily driving it).

ET: 12.7@109 mph
ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 PM

Personally, have yet to file a claim. However, a few years ago a friend and I were busy getting ready for a National Ford powered car show. Two months prior to the show he experienced a fire in the engine compartment of his 66 Shelby GT 350 clone. Hagerty, basically, wrote him a blank check for all related expenses. As it turned out, he scored a first place in his division. I settled for 2nd in the modified division.
This only strengthened my position with them.

Ken ..
64 1/2 Poppy Red too!, Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page