6Likes
  • 1 Post By GypsyR
  • 1 Post By GypsyR
  • 1 Post By Drew
  • 1 Post By rgoniea
  • 2 Post By GypsyR

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

88-90 Fox Motor in my 68

Happy Fathers Day to the dads in the group.

In the process of going from my I6 to a V8 and leaning towards the 88-90 fox motors. Seems like a good choice. Can I use the 68 302 engine mounts for this motor or is there an alternative and maybe more inexpensive swap I can do to mount the newer motor?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 AM

IMO, you'd be better off with a good used Explorer motor. They're newer and will probably be in better shape. The heads breath better too. The Explorer used a GT40 and GT40P versions. The GT40P is the better one of the two but has a different plug angle which can be problematic. I put a GT40P in my 66 last summer with off the shelf MAC long tubes headers. I did a write up, it should answer all your questions. For the most part it's like installing another 289. I installed a used 91 Mustang 5.0 cam and a used set of Cobra 1.72 roller rocker arms. It runs really well, pulls a lot harder a lot longer then the typical SBF. AutoZone sells a real nice 85 Mustang 5.0 carbed Duraspark distributor that's brand new for about $85. It has both the vintage style cab with brass terminals and a late model 2 piece with the correct gear for the roller cam.

Got my GT40P up and running in my 66

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Just some guy

Garage
The basic 5.0 engine up to the end of production is externally essentially the same as the early 289/302 cars. There were some changes along the way, in 1966 they went to a six bolt transmission bolt pattern, in 1981 they changed the internal balance of the engines, starting in 1985 they started putting in cams with roller lifters, and more minor things. But for the most part you can buy the newest Windsor 5.0 you can find and bolt vintage 289 parts on it and no one could tell it was a newer engine.
Use whatever 5.0 you like or can find a deal on. Then tell us what you have and we can fill in what you need to make it work for you. Because whatever it may be, someone here has one in their car. Guaranteed.
Huskinhano likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I did think about the Explorer motor but they seem to be hard to find unless I go picking through a salvage yard. I'll take a look at the write-up.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

GypsyR - Right now I have nothing . For the last 3 years I have been replacing metal. Now I am moving on to the body work which is coming along. The front end is sprayed and ready to put a motor in. I am converting my 68 from auto to manual if that makes a difference. So it looks like I'll need a new trans brace, engine mounts, the motor, and wiring.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:52 AM

As far as wiring goes, if you're using the stock wiring it's pretty easy too. I think you can reuse the alternator harness but the engine gauge wiring will need to be changed. That's really easy, it just plugs into the bulk head on the fire wall. It's cheap. The neutral safety harness goes from under the dash through the firewall by the gas pedal and plugs into the harness on the trans. The harness from under the dash has 4 wires, 2 pairs. One pair with the black plug is the neutral safety, don't worry about that. The other plug which is red is for the back up lights. Under the dash you can simply reconnect the neutral safety harness from the solenoid wiring portion under the dash, bypassing the trans neutral safety wiring back into the main harness and be done with it. No jumpers, splicing or butchery needed.

The trans cross member will work with either the factory 3 speed or 4 speed. If you go T5, you will have to buy the associated swap trans cross member. Personally I love the Toploader 4 speed. I was going to put a T5 in at one time, it's somewhere in my barn.

Tom

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM

But to answer the question. You have to use the motor side mount off the 88-90 block. Is 88 when they switched from speed density to mass air? I hear the mass air is what you want.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Just some guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldog View Post
But to answer the question. You have to use the motor side mount off the 88-90 block. Is 88 when they switched from speed density to mass air? I hear the mass air is what you want.
I used 1968 mounts (and brackets) to put a 1994 5.0 in my '67 that used to be a 200. Changed my mind and then put a 1978 or so 351W in the car using the exact same mounts and brackets again. They are NOT "5.0" specific and would be the correct ones for a period correct 289 too.

1988 was the first year for MAF 5.0's in California only. 1989 for the rest of us.

And sw3028, you might tell us what car you have and whether you want the run EFI or not. If you want to reuse factory EFI then 1989-93 Mustnags are the best and easiest all around choice. If you stick with a carburetor you can use whatever you want. (You want a 351W. You know you do.)

Plus add your general location to your avatar in your user control panel. When you are looking for parts someone might note you are close to them and hook you up with a great deal. Exactly that has happened to me.
Huskinhano likes this.

Last edited by GypsyR; 06-19-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:41 PM

I dropped the whole 5.0 EFI into a 65 and I loved it.

The only two unresolvable issues for me: was getting a good pedal that felt right...I used a stock FOX one that had to be bent and it wasn't great. Also you have to drill out a big oval plug into the firewall to install the ECU.

I went so far as to match up the 5.0 p/s pump and a/c pump with custom hoses that had the proper ends for each size, they worked well. I was able to locate a reverse flow 15" (?) fan so I could use the stock fan shroud. You have your choice of getting a reverse exit radiator or a hard pipe to match up the reverse flow water pump. The fuel pump inside the left quarter "drop off" with hard pipes going through the plugs...no drilling needed.

I sold the car when I got married
Huskinhano likes this.

Exactly what you wanted, but not what you asked for...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3028 View Post
Thanks for the info. I did think about the Explorer motor but they seem to be hard to find unless I go picking through a salvage yard. I'll take a look at the write-up.

I was going through craigslist and found an 01 Explorer with the 5.0 in it. This gentlemen had purchased a new vehicle and thought about fixing his Explorer. In the end he decided to part it out. After a couple of phone calls we arrived at $200 for both the 5.0 and 4r70w transmission. I just had to finish pulling them out of the car. Like Israel here on the forum I am not one who's afraid to drive for a good deal. I grabbed my daughter headed out on a 60 mile drive, got everything pulled and they are now in my garage.

So the deals are out there if you have the time to hunt them down.
Huskinhano likes this.

1967 Mustang Coupe.
"It's not a problem it's a project"
My Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...967-build.html

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Just some guy

Garage
And patience. I find great stuff when I'm not so much looking as keeping an eye out and mentioning to people that I'm kind of looking for this or that. If I decide I just HAVE to have something by this weekend then the only one I will find will be a total piece of crap priced three times as high as a good one. But the VERY best deals tend to be completely random.
rgoniea and Woodchuck like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
And patience. I find great stuff when I'm not so much looking as keeping an eye out and mentioning to people that I'm kind of looking for this or that. If I decide I just HAVE to have something by this weekend then the only one I will find will be a total piece of crap priced three times as high as a good one. But the VERY best deals tend to be completely random.
I couldn't agree more! Some of my best finds have been completely random.

Tom

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Just some guy

Garage
I once sold a rebuildable 5.0 short block for scrap. Got tired of it being in my way. I would have given it away to a VMF member but no one nearby seemed to need it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
That's actually how I found the motor and trans. I wasn't necessarily looking for it RIGHT now but it presented itself and I couldn't pass it up. That motor and trans is what will be going in my car when I get to that point.

1967 Mustang Coupe.
"It's not a problem it's a project"
My Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...967-build.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page