1970 Fuel Spill Guard? - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes
  • 1 Post By gregb
  • 1 Post By 22GT
  • 2 Post By SAH62

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

1970 Fuel Spill Guard?

During the build, I put a new taillight panel on my 1970 Mach 1. It has tiny holes at the bottom, between the taillights. For many months I had been trying without success to learn what these holes are for. Finally, a friend of mine showed me on his Concours 1970 Boss 429 there is some kind of guard between the taillight panel and bumper. He said it's a guard for fuel that might spill out while gassing up the car.

Last weekend I was at the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup and looked at multiple 1969 and 1970 Mustangs. It appears the '69 Mustangs did not have this fuel spill guard. I saw a 1970 fastback which had the holes in the taillight panel, but no fuel spill guard. Then I saw a Concours 1970 Boss 302 and it had that guard. So, apparently, this thing didn't exist before 1970.

Now that I know what those little holes are for, does anyone know the correct name for this guard/lip which fastens to the taillight panel below the fuel nozzle? I can't find it online or in the printed NPD catalog. I'm not concerned about being Councours, but I don't want to leave holes in the taillight panel and, if I can get this fuel spill guard thing, I might as well bolt it on.

Thanks!

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 PM

I don't know that it's for keeping fuel out, probably more a guard for keeping rain/water off the light for the license plate and out of the gap between the valence and the body. It's been a while but I remember putting in some kind of rubber strip when I restored my 69.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, Legend 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM

http://www.cjponyparts.com/license-p...0mPRoCrUbw_wcB

Is this what you are talking about?
Woodchuck likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 PM

Garage
mine disappeared during painting. I never seen any repops in the catalogs. (EDIT until just now )

it was basically just a piece of curved rubber. Im sure you can fabricate something similiar.

I just left mine be.

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti says 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the powertrain 351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:21 PM
I won a special award

I bought a 1970 Sportsroof in 1985. The car was very original. It had the spill guard on it.

1970 Fastback (to be finished outside as a Boss 302 clone)
393 Windsor AFR 205 heads with 11.5:1 compression, Victor Jr. intake, solid roller cam with shaft mount roller rockers
Tremec TKO 5 Speed

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
http://www.cjponyparts.com/license-p...0mPRoCrUbw_wcB

Is this what you are talking about?
Yep, that's it! Thanks, Greg. You know, I felt like a biscuit for not knowing what those holes in the taillight panel were for, but only one person I asked knew anything about it.

And here's a link for the "better" example from NPD. It really helps to know what it's called! I'll look for fasteners as well. Those holes are pretty tiny and I'd rather not put something oversized from Ace Hardware in there.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...-169780-1.html

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:11 PM

I've bought from both places, extensively. It was easier to find the CJPP one.......easy in the paper NPD catalog, online well.......

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 PM

The MPC diagram is from the Muscle Car Research web site catalog. I believe they are the source for this part ? Interesting that the diagram shows only three screw holes for mounting and not four as I would have guessed ? Looking at that location on my 69 CJ that is what I see. Three screw holes, viewed from the trunk side, exactly as depicted. The screw part number is also provided in case anyone wants to chase that down ? Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69 Tag Light Shield C9ZZ-6540427-A-mpc.jpg (88.2 KB, 30 views)

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I checked my taillight panel. Yep, three holes. I found the screws on the AMK web page. They call them "Tapping Screws". Likely, I can find something similar without placing an AMK order for three screws.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 AM

That's weird because my 1970 rear panel has 4 original factory holes for this rubber shield and the repro rubber shield has 4 small mounting holes and these four holes perfectly match up when mounting the shield on the car. Go figure.

P.S. - My Mach is a San Jose car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03459.JPG (79.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03466.JPG (93.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 70Machboy; 06-20-2017 at 01:13 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 AM

Just to be clear, the rubber flap has nothing to do with fuel. The flap extends upward from the lower edge of the taillight panel to the underside of the bumper, to prevent the license plate light from illuminating the gap between the bumper and taillight panel.
Klutch likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conway View Post
The MPC diagram is from the Muscle Car Research web site catalog. I believe they are the source for this part ? Interesting that the diagram shows only three screw holes for mounting and not four as I would have guessed ? Looking at that location on my 69 CJ that is what I see. Three screw holes, viewed from the trunk side, exactly as depicted. The screw part number is also provided in case anyone wants to chase that down ? Brian
I provide the reproduction for NPD that's made using the original masticated rubber material. I don't know where CJPP gets theirs from, but I do not it's not from me. Jack Brooks at Dead Nuts On sells my part with screws included (I don't sell the screws).

Oh, and as noted above, this part has nothing to do with fuel. It was designed to keep light from the rear license plate lamp from escaping above the bumper.
Ford.P51 and Israel like this.

Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral 428 CJ Mach 1 Mustang
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS
2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Good to know what that part is really for. I never would have considered it's for blocking light, but it does make sense.

EDIT: Funny, the Dead Nuts On site says it's for preventing spilled fuel from getting onto the license plate lamp. (??)

http://www.deadnutson.com/catalog/it...84/6095372.htm

Thanks, everyone.

Last edited by Klutch; 06-21-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page