Exceeding Heat Range for bulb seal...what could go wrong? - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Exceeding Heat Range for bulb seal...what could go wrong?

I want to use some bulb seal to fill in a small gab around my radiator (custom mounted).

There will be about a 1/4 - 3/8" gap along the top and about a 1/2" - 3/4" gap along the bottom edge.

The bulb seal I'm finding only has a heat rating up to 150 degrees. Here's the stuff I'm finding.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#1120A5

With a 195degree thermostat, I'm sure the surface of the radiator will get hotter than 150.

What happens if EPDM rubber is exposed to temps beyond the rating? Will it just degrade over time, or will it melt & be a fire hazard?

The only other product I can find on McMaster's site that's good for temps up to 212 degrees is something made out of Buna-N foam, but it says it's not for outdoor use. I wonder if that just means it's not UV protected...but I won't really be exposed to UV rays under the hood of the car.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#12335A53

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM

Garage
I stock several different variations of that seal for applications like doors, windows, access covers, etc on heavy machinery. As a test, I just went out and held a lighter to the foam bulb side of a piece just to see what would happen. It wasn't like a foam cup that pretty much melts instantly, but rather the opposite. I didn't see anything happen until I held the flame right under the foam itself, and even then it took a bit before it started to burn. Flammable yes, but it actually just smoldered more than anything. My guess is you'd be fine, but it's your car not mine, right?

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 AM

What would happen if you just used nothing ?
Nothing has a clean look
and
Nothing won't burn or melt and stink up the joint.
and
Nothing is very cost effective.

Z

Z

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I thought about using nothing for the reasons you mentioned.

Any thoughts on how much of a gap I can leave around the radiator where it won't allow too much air to go around it without impacting the cooling?

Right now along the top edge, the gap is about 1/4".
Along the bottom, I can probably get that down to about 1/4" or less.
The sides are all closed off because of the brackets I have welded to the side tanks.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM

I don't view that type of gap impacting the cooling any. But best to get a consensus, if that's possible on the VMF

Z

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 PM

IMO a free standing radiator would work fine. A shroud is often used for higher capacity cooling. Most of the air flow/action is at the fan tips, the shroud helps direct it through the radiator. The shroud is often mounted on the support sides and so seals off the sides of the radiator. IMO it looks nice but is not affecting cooling. The effect is at the fan itself.

Remember when some Mercury (?) commercials demonstrated the silence inside the car? Wind noises at highway speeds was often a cause for return and tracking down on a new Town Car (Lincoln). If you had a silent engine that gap around the radiator might make rushing /whistling sounds.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
I thought about using nothing for the reasons you mentioned.

Any thoughts on how much of a gap I can leave around the radiator where it won't allow too much air to go around it without impacting the cooling?

Right now along the top edge, the gap is about 1/4".
Along the bottom, I can probably get that down to about 1/4" or less.
The sides are all closed off because of the brackets I have welded to the side tanks.
You could stick the radiator three feet out in front of the car, all by itself, and it wouldn't make a darn bit of difference.
zray likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 AM

Here's some sheeting on this page, good for up to 400

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-r...heets/=185evsq

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
You could stick the radiator three feet out in front of the car, all by itself, and it wouldn't make a darn bit of difference.
^^^^^^^^ this. just move on to the next aggravation.

BTW. whether the OP talking about a gap between radiator and radiator support or a radiator / shroud gap, either way such a small gap won't impact cooling in a measurable way.

Z

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I'm using the Contour electric twin fan setup, so the fan shroud is taken care of. I'm primarily concerned about the gap between the radiator and the aluminum brackets that are mounted to the core support.

Since I also have an AC condenser in front of the radiator, I was thinking I needed to close the gap off so air won't make it's way around the radiator...but it doesn't seem like that's something to worry about. I can probably get the gap down to around 1/8" at the top & bottom of the radiator, so I'll focus on getting a tighter fit and be done with it.

My 302 is only rated for 305hp, so it's not like I have a monster powerplant I need to worry about.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:57 AM

I think this item would be a good thing to install, I added one to my 66 and it did make a difference.

1966 Mustang Aluminum Grill Cover, Satin
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:28 AM

I have a catalog at home from a company that makes seals for all sorts of custom car applications. They may have some that will work. When I get home next weekend I'll post the company catalog info.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66HertzClone View Post
I think this item would be a good thing to install, I added one to my 66 and it did make a difference.

1966 Mustang Aluminum Grill Cover, Satin
Something like that is on my list. I used one like it in a 68 Camaro and also on my FFR Cobra and it helped on both cars.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page