Just finished some 69 Mustang Improvements - Vintage Mustang Forums

6Likes
  • 3 Post By cj428mach
  • 1 Post By cj428mach
  • 2 Post By dobrostang

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Just finished some 69 Mustang Improvements

My 69 Mach has been down for about 6 months and finally got back together this last weekend. At the beginning of the year the project started with a simple TKO600 swap, the car already had a 4 speed in it so it was going to be a simple weekend swap. Once the motor was out it became apparent that the motor leaked oil from everywhere and since the motor had 2 cams go flat in its past I didn't need much more of a reason to pull it.
The motor was sent out for a refresh and a slight boost in power, I choose my engine builder based off recommendations and the fact that he had a dyno. I wanted the motor ready to drop in once I got it back with no leaks or surprises, and it was built by Advanced Engine in Salina Kansas the same place that built "Farm Trucks" motor from the street outlaw show. The car has AC and FiTech EFI, so my main goal was decent power and driveability as I have a 700rwhp Cobra to provide the real muscle.
The motor was able to stay . 030" over, forged pistons 10.5 to 1 compression
Custom Hydraulic Roller 224/232 on a 112LSA with the thought that I might go back with exhaust manifolds if it made enough power.
Stock 428 Cobra Jet heads rebuilt with new valves
Hooker Long Tube headers
Aluminum Ford PI intake
The motor made 408 hp with the long tubes at 5200rpms with 470ft of torque at about 3500rpm at 36 degrees of timing so the headers stayed lol. I told my dad that apparently the "good old days" weren't that good if thats all a 428 does lol.

I took the time while the motor was out to do some simple upgrades to the car. I pulled the carpet out and put two layers of the rubber backed aluminum sound deadener to the car, added extended seat rails to the drivers seat, repainted the engine bay, cut the front coil springs 3/4 of a coil, and ditched my inline electric fuel pump for a spectra in tank fuel pump. The seat rail extenders, and spectra tank were great upgrades for the money!

With the motor back I was able to go back to installing the transmission, I followed Ross's lead and tried to stab my motor complete with the transmission on and the Hooker LT's bolted to the engine already, I wish I could say it worked but after screwing around for a while I could see I'd have to remove at least 1 header. The transmission swap went well and I didn't have to cut any part of the car to make it work, which was nice.

You find a ton of info on TKO swaps in small block cars but not a lot of info on FE cars so here's my setup
428 with stock motor mounts and 1/8" motor mount spacers (to give the header flanges better clearance to the wrap around shock tower braces)
American Powertrain Streamlined tko600 with their adjustable shifter
Modern Driveline bell housing adapter plate
Modern Driveline crossmember
Hurst shifter handle #5380015

The transmission with a stock transmission mount definitely rocks the motor back more than stock. I installed a poly transmission mount that I had that was 5/16" taller than the stock rubber mount, I also slid a 1/8" spacer I had made in between the mount and the crossmember to further raise the transmission. I couldn't go anymore with out getting into the floor reinforcement bracket so I decided to try the car before I pulled the transmission and began to cut. The car drives well and has no vibrations or issues at 60mph, which I didn't want to go any faster than that with my 10+ yr old tires that I'll be replacing asap. The only complaint besides the TKO needing to be shifted to a forward gear before going to reverse is that the shifter handle that was recommended to me for this swap is too short. I ordered one thats a little longer and also comes back towards the rear of the car another couple of inches.

I drove the car about 35 miles yesterday and really enjoyed myself. Over the last year the car has received a refreshed motor with a slight bump in power, a custom auto sound slide bar radio, AC, FiTech EFI, and now overdrive. The car is actually fun to drive now, and I find myself getting excited over the thought of driving it. I'm so excited I just had to post lol, next on the list is the new tires, and a wash!
Klutch, Turnall and 68Hildago like this.

69 Mach 1 428 CJ
Modern Upgrades-TKO600, FiTech, A/C

Last edited by cj428mach; 06-19-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Oh the car currently has 215/70/14's all the way around, I was thinking of putting 215's on the front and 225/70/14's on the rear to help fill up the rear wheel well better. Any input on this?
Israel likes this.

69 Mach 1 428 CJ
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Garage
Nice ride with some great add-on options. Now I really miss my 69 Mach 1.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj428mach View Post
. At the beginning of the year the project started with a simple TKO600 install' />
Urban myth
cj428mach and Israel like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Urban myth
LOL how true.

I ordered a set of tires this morning, going 215's up front and 225's in the rear. Last night I checked the speedometer on the highway and it reads a few mph fast, the rear tires should help that out.

Here's a quick cellphone pic I snapped of the engine bay, you can hardly even tell it has EFI.

I still have some wiring to clean up over by the starter solenoid, and just a general wipe down.

69 Mach 1 428 CJ
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj428mach View Post
Oh the car currently has 215/70/14's all the way around, I was thinking of putting 215's on the front and 225/70/14's on the rear to help fill up the rear wheel well better. Any input on this?
On my 69 Coupe I have 215/70R-14's on the front, & 225/70 R-14's on the rear.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
On my 69 Coupe I have 215/70R-14's on the front, & 225/70 R-14's on the rear.

Thanks for the pic.

Its kind of hard to tell because your car is stripped so it doesn't have a lot of weight on the suspension, looking at that pic it makes me think maybe I should have gone taller than the 225/70/14.

69 Mach 1 428 CJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page