Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Dynomax VT replacement?

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  j persons 
#1 ·
Hey gang, been awhile since I posted. Upgraded to Shaun's Street or Track 3-link (more on that later!) and need to re-do my exhaust. I had the Dynomax VT's and loved the sound but hated the "rattle". Turns out they are discontinued (go figure). So I need to select a new muffler. I'm thinking Super Turbo's but have also been reading about the Magnaflows, etc. Resonance is definitely a concern with the convertible and I want to do long road trips so need something that I can live with but that won't restrict the motor too much (500 hp 445 stroker). So right now I'm thinking something like the Magna's will be too loud at cruise and the ST's will be too restrictive for the motor. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I run a vert with SpinTechs. Is not too loud at speeds with the top down. I do run 2.5" resonators out the back. The video was an early back road trip with my current setup. May provide a little insight????

#3 ·
I used the Super Turbos on a Fox TBird with a 331 and a Vortech S/C, and there was no drone. It had 2.5" exhaust. It was a bit loud with just the mufflers and no tail pipes, but quieted down after the tail pipes were fitted. I will probably use Super Turbos on my current build when I get that far along.

#5 ·
Owning a "vert" too, I'm running 2.5". The size will handle most any HP a sensible street warrior would want. The extra .5" will create space and ground clearance issues, if lowered.

My rig is lowered 1.5-2.0" . I ran my exhaust through the body plate. However, to do so, I lowered the body plate approx 1/2-3/4".

Attachments

#7 ·
+1 for Spintech, I have them on my 65 fastback and love the way they sound. I've got 2.5" exhaust with an X pipe back to the mufflers. The mufflers are 3" and have the inlet/outlet on the same side to kind of replicate the Shelby side exit exhaust back in the day. If you want a video clip of the sound, let me know. It sounds like you're leaning more towards the dynomax though.

#9 ·
Here's Super Turbos on 2.25" pipes, straight through with Tri Y headers.

I think it's the best sounding car I've ever heard, but then again, I may be biased :)

Don't have a vert, but my windows are always down so maybe comparable... I find it quite pleasant as high as 85 mph. Past that, and the wind noise is a bit off-putting, which I guess is unrelated to the mufflers anyways. Very slight drone from the mufflers between 50 and 53 mph but nothing like a Flowmaster.

#11 ·
Straight Through?

Does this mean "no crossover?" Sounds nice.

Here's Super Turbos on 2.25" pipes, straight through with Tri Y headers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreCXZcuTr8

I think it's the best sounding car I've ever heard, but then again, I may be biased :)

Don't have a vert, but my windows are always down so maybe comparable... I find it quite pleasant as high as 85 mph. Past that, and the wind noise is a bit off-putting, which I guess is unrelated to the mufflers anyways. Very slight drone from the mufflers between 50 and 53 mph but nothing like a Flowmaster.

#12 ·
Yep, no X or H pipe.

#13 · (Edited)
I thought the Dynomax VT seemed like a neat idea when they came out, but had a feeling there would be issues with them. My vote for mufflers would be Dynomax Ultra Flo or Super Turbo. I have the Ultra Flo with an H pipe and love them, but they are a bit louder than Super Turbo. I prefer the sound of true duel with no crossover even though an H balances it some. I am not a fan of the more exotic sound that an X pipe creates. A friend of mine has Spintech on his 67 Pontiac Le Mans and it sounds pretty good too. Flowmaster is my least favorite muffler.

#15 ·
Be sure and take plenty of photos of how you routed the exhaust around the three link and Watts link. I have the same suspension and want my tail pipes all the way out the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.