Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Help me identify a part?

649 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  22GT 
#1 ·
Hello guys,
Recently ordered door panels to freshen up my interior. However, the door panel is only a part of the inside of the door- what is the plastic-y piece that surrounds the door panel called? I'm hoping to replace it as it is very faded and I'm not sure it would look so great surrounding a new part.

#4 ·
Uh, probably a 65
I hate when I do that. Saw the "1965" on his name AFTER I posted my response. I'm still wondering what plastic covering he's talking about around the door panel. Unless he's talking about the watershield under the door panel, and someone has replaced it with plastic sheeting. But that can't be seen once the door panel is on.

#6 · (Edited)
Alex, the door panels are all that there is. The rest of the door is one big piece of steel stamped to look like it's got a leather texture in it. If you look around the edges you'll see that there isn't any plastic piece, it's just metal crimped to the outside of the door.

Since it's metal you just need to clean it up and paint it if it's looking faded. NPD and everyone else carry the paint to match your interior color. Just don't put the paint on too thick or you'll fill in the fake leather grain.

If we're all off and aren't getting what you're talking about you could post a picture and I'm sure that would clear it right up.

#9 ·
I have usually left it on the car. Use paint stripper to clean about 6" at a time. Plastic scraper, and limited use of Scotchbrite pad on the last pass. Naval jelly if there is surface rust. DO NOT SAND THE PAINT OR BARE METAL AT ALL. This will destroy the texture, and the value of the door. Refinish with a light primer layer and three thin coats of finish color.

Reactions: alex1965
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.