Vintage Mustang Forums banner

67 Fastback GT Rocker Panel Stripes?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Tallguy 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to this site and new to owning a classic Mustang......for that matter, I am new to owing a classic period. I recently bought my first classic which is a 67 Fastback GT A-Code; Wimbledon White.

My question is, how do I know what color the Rocker Panel Stripes should be?

The car is Wimbledon White but currently doesn't have any rocker panel stripes and the interior color is black. I've been trying to figure out how the stripe color correlates with the color of the car or color of the interior but I'm not sure....

BTW, I have a Marti Report and it doesn't mention the rocker panel stripes color, but it does identify the car as a true GT.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

#5 ·
Yes, the GT stripe was applied to GT models at the factory, it was part of the PIO (Performance Image OPtion, AKA "GT").

Your white/black car would have a black stripe. If it had a blue interior, blue stripe, red interior, red stripe, etc.

#8 ·
Question, my 67 factory GT, is orig aqua paint, 2 tone aqua interior. Car picture in my signature. Was off the road since early 80's when I got it, (since total restore). It came with rusty fenders that had white stripes and same fade aqua paint. Still have one of them.
Possible there was a 2nd stripe color choice? Or a none traditional paint color had different stripe color choice?

#7 ·
Have a look at a factory sales brochure from 1967. There's a great centerfold spread of a white 67 GT fastback a couple of pages into it. To go forward in the brochure, click the little blue > arrow up near the top. You'll like it.
Here's the link67 Mustang Brochure

#9 · (Edited)
If you were the original owner at the dealer, back in those days they'd order up any combo, weird or not, that you'd ask for if it would help them close the deal. Stripes would be not really an issue.
As an example, there's a car outside of Detroit that's an unrestored 1967 Galaxie Country Squire with a 428 and 4 speed. A one of one car that shouldn't exist and the dealer refused to order it as it was not an option according to Ford to put the 428/4 sp in a wagon. The O/O wouldn't accept a no from the dealer so he wrote to Lee Iacocca himself asking why it couldn't be done as it was just a bolt in job on the assembly line as that combo was allowed on all other body styles. Iacocca agreed and so the C Squire was built with the 428/4 speed as per O/O's preference.
So for sixtysevenGT, yes you could ask for different stripe choices at order time. You might have had to shop around dealers to find one who was happy to think a bit more out of the box, but it certainly was do-able. But as far as that lovely aqua color on your 67 vert, I've only ever seen white GT stripes on that color, and it's a stunning combo to look at!

#10 ·
To my knowledge the factory GT stripes came in black, white, blue, or red. For cars with aqua, ivy gold, or saddle interiors. it seems that the factory stripes were either white or black. FWIW, my Vintage Burgundy with black interior car has white stripes and to my eye that combination works. Over the years I have seen a number of Vintage Burgundy GT's with white stripes but not one with black stripes. I suspect that contrast in color was the order of the day if the car exterior was one of the darker colors.

On a '68 Convertible GT project car I did several years ago, the original colors were Wimbledon White with parchment top and interior. Factory carpeting and dash pad were black as was the scant remains of the original "C" stripe.

Modernly, aftermarket graphics companies have expanded the color palette for the GT stripes. A local one that comes immediately to mind is a beautiful '67 black convertible with the two tone ivy gold interior and dark ivy gold stripes. Looks good in person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.