Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Windshield trim - is there a secret?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mustang656man 
#1 ·
Dismantling my car for sandblasting and sheet metal replacement. When I got the car the windshield was missing, but the chrome trim is in place. I am trying to remove it. I started at the driver's side corner with a trim tool slightly prying it from the bottom, and although it loosened a little it refuses to let go. I do not want to bend it since they are in excellent condition. I cannot see the clips that supposedly hold it underneath to know how they let go. Is there a secret tip to getting these to let go without damaging them? THis is is on a 67 Convertible. Any help will be appreciated.
THis and a stubborn drivers side window are the two items giving me the most problem at the minute.

#3 ·
The clips are held in by studs in the pinchweld. You need to pull the upper portion away from the body to release the trim. It should be fairly easy with the glass removed already, but you may have years of glue built it and fighting you. Use a trim tool (looks like a big arrowhead) to get behind the clips and pry them up slightly. In your case with no glass, you can even slide a flat blade screwdriver in behind the clip and get them loose. Sometimes it works better to release the ends, then pull the trim parallel with the glass to get them off- that way you're not lifting them and running a chance of folding them over..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.