351W & 400 modified crank what rods? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-06-2001, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm thinking about building a 351W with 400 mod crank. I know KB sell's pistons but who makes the rods? I see that
the pistons are for 6.200 with .927 Chevy pin size wrist pins.
Do I use Chevy stroker rods? Or does someone make a rod
especially for this? Thanks!

Adam

'73 Stang 351W Lightning specs
'72 Stang
'65 Ford F-1
'91 Civic SI
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2001, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

You would first have to decide what was the final CID you wished to get from this combo. A quick seach on the net yeilded quite a few different combinations.Heres just one posting I found for a 408cid motor:

: You'll need to get a grinder to cut some of the material off of the counterweights. I personally made me a pattern from a piece of cardboard taken from a 351W crank and outlined it on the 400M crank and marked it with a red pencil. Grind the counterweights to match the pattern. After you do the grinding, take the crank to the machine shop to cut the step off of the front of the crank so that the timing gears will line up. Depending on what year 351W block you have, you will need the machine to either cut down or cut off the oil slinger at the rear of the crank. A new keyway needs to be cut at the front of the crank after the step is cut back. As for as rods go you can either use 300 6cyl truck rods that will need the big end narrowed and the rod journals on the crank machined from 2.311" to 2.125", or you could just buy some aftermarket H-beam rods that are 6.2" long designed for a stock 351W. This will save you on machine cost and you have a stronger rod with the Chevy pin diameter. You can get pistons from many different manufactures. Keith Black has one with a 1.28" comp height

Do a search for" 400m crank in a 351w" for more

Greg B
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2001, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Adam,

I know in the past Chrysler rods as well as Ford 2.3 rods (yeah!) have been used, however, trot over to http://www.coasthigh.com and check them out. Coast High Performance is definitely king where Ford strokers are concerned.....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
www.bossman-motorsports.com

bosscars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.