Fiberglass scoop on metal hood - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-20-2001, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone got any suggestions on the best way to install a fiberglass bond on hood scoop(65/66 shelby) on a metal hood ??

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2001, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

I've always neatly riveted my hood scoops on, whether it be ABS onto my old street racer steel hood or ABS onto my fiberglass hood on the race car....done neatly and painted, it's a very clean installation IMO...

If you want the homogenous look, I'd buy a glass repro hood with the scoop molded in...

Pat
Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2001, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I thought about using rivets but, wasn't sure how it would turn out. Is there any adhesive that you could use to mate it to the hood ? I thought about sanding down the base of the hood scoop(so there won't be as big of a lip or step) & using adhesive without any rivets. Tried that with any success ??

Old 03-20-2001, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

I've had reasonable success using Devcon's epoxy products to repair metal and stick plastics to metal but don't know how they'd hold up with the flexing and expansion/contraction cycles of a big piece of sheet metal like a hood....

Nope, no practical experience with your prospective solution...sorry...

Pat
Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2001, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

This may be stupid, but is there a reason you can't fiberglass it on to the hood? And then sand down the excess fiberglass used to mount it. I once repaired a steel hood with fiberglass. Someone cut a 3" hole in the hood right over the carburetor, so I cut away the rough edges, sanded it down, and fiberglassed over the hole. I then finished sanded top and bottom, and unless you were to run a magnet over it, you wouldn't even know the hole was there.

I intend on doing something similar with my 66. I have a bond on shelby scoop, and I plan on cutting a hole in the hood and building a ram air style hood scoop retro the 65 shelbies.

Doug

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board

[color:blue]My Mustang is Camera Shy[IMG]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/IMG]
whizco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2001, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think that's the route I'll probably have to go. I was hoping to find a bolt on one so that I wouldn't have
to repaint to hood. Oh well.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.